430 water/oil pump seepage | FerrariChat

430 water/oil pump seepage

Discussion in '360/430' started by carguy007, Apr 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    How many have replaced the pump after seeing signs of seepage like calicified coolant by weephole. Apparently this leak is fairly common and done on most 430's every couple years.

How much seepage is tolerable? It's quite costly as many are likely aware. I have also seen rebuild options but would hate to have to do the job twice if rebuild did not pan out as it's a considerable amount of labor.

2. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I had the oil/water pump replaced with 13.7k miles on the 430. It was not cheap, part alone was $3.4k, then of course you add labor. I had pictures taken of the leak, let me see if I can find them.

3. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    my friends 08 scud was replaced when had like 5k miles than again 8k miles started to seep they said leave it alone for now and watch it if coolant on ground.i think most will have seepage from weep hole

4. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
  5. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    There is panels covering the bottom of the car so there would need to be a lot of coolant for it to make it to the floor. If the pump fails you will also loose the oil pump as they are on the same spline which is alarming.

6. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
  7. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    #7 Jgivoo, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    This is not necessarily true. If the Waterpump shaft breaks or if the chain driving the assembly fails, then yes you would loose the oil pump. I have had many of these pumps apart and can speak from experience. The seepage the OP has shown in the pics is from the rear mechanical seal. There are two mechanical seals in this pump The OEM pump seal manufacturer has a 100% air test for each seal for 3 secs. Pressure (outside To inside) is 1.5 bars. Maximum allowable air leakage of 3.5 cm3/min. Test is carried out at max working length after dry running for 2 seconds at 300 rpm.

If you were too look at pump closely( not sure you can see in pic) in the area of seepage, there is a weep hole about half way from seepage point to pump body. If that is wet or there is indication of coolant leaking through that hole, then yes I would be concerned.

That is just my opinion and nothing more.

Flyingbrick242 likes this.
  8. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    There is also a double lipped oil seal between the rear mechanical seal and the rear bearing of the pump. This bearing is exposed to oil. If the seal fails, then you would see oil coming from a separate weep hole located on the Waterpump body at the centerline of the shaft. This is approximately 1" above the coolant weep hole described above.

9. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I had weep on my 07 spider with 12k miles. Mechanic says I can prob wait for a year or two since it weeps very slowly. Just keep an eye out every annual. How much you drive a year also matters..if you drive only 1-3k mile a year then you can prob keep an eye out between service. If you do 10k a year I would prob fix it sooner. The cost to rebuild the pump and labor runs about 3-5k.

10. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I’m not the OP but putting up pictures of my pump before I replaced it. Below is a closer pictures of the weep hole that was referenced.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Question for you guys. Has anyone thought about or successfully installed leak detectors under their car? I was on the beautiful Waimea Beach this morning and ran across this new thread.

While I don't have any active leaks under my car, I'd sure like to know if one was to start.

Steve

12. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I think they all weep at some point. It's a simple mechanical seal arrangement. Someone on here has put together a kit for circa $300 if you search.

13. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
  14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    The oil/water pump on my F430 leaked and was replaced by the previous owner at 21K miles. It was not a cheap repair job.

I now have 30K miles and so far so good, no leak.

Dan

15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Drive it more often and the seals won't dry out and seep!

Rifledriver and whatheheck like this.
  16. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    The waterpump mechanical seals cannot dry out.

17. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Perhaps but absolutely everything rots without regular use. Mechanical parts need use or they go bad or mechanisms stick and rust. Fluids chemically reacts faster with environmental water and oxygen. Who knows what impact that's having on longevity? Oil seals shrink, injectors clog with dried up fuel, tires dry out, suspension bushes sag, it just goes on.

I'm saying regular usage where the engine is brought up to full operating temperature makes these cars just that much more reliable. Use them more and they will work better.

blkdiablo33 and whatheheck like this.
  18. littlewinepress

Oct 14, 2014
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Been advised by a mechanic doing annual maintenance for the first time that water pump shows sign of leaking at weep holes. Suggesting replacement for around $2500 pump and $1100 labor. Does this picture look like the seepage is serious enough to replace?
    Car is a 2006 430 F1 with 6600 miles. This is a one owner car that was driven sparingly for the past 13 years and has probably sat for long periods without driving and without annuals. It this seepage normal and with more frequent driving will this get better or worse? I noticed from the threads that there are rebuild kits available. Advice please.
    Thanks

19. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

1100 labor is alittle extreme. More like $300-500. Last time I did it it took me (without a lift) 4 hours. I am a slow laborer to be sure.

and yea, its a little serious. I'd replace the seals.

20. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, it looks pretty bad. Price for part seems right.

21. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Hi, if you are about can u e mail me re water pump kit. Ta

22. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Not very many things in a car (any car) will heal themselves through driving more. In the US, the price you're quoting seems roughly correct. Whether you rebuild/reseal that pump or slam a new one in, there's a fixed amount of labor just to reach the darn thing. IMHO, get it taken care of properly and then enjoy the car worry-free when spring arrives.

23. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is, do it right the first time.
    Rebuilding the pump is never a sure thing.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Water pump seal failures on cars laid up for winter or after any long period of inactivity is very common, so much so I can tell by my calendar when I be rebuilding and replacing water pumps. Clients who use their cars year round almost never have water pump issues.

Apollo 11 likes this.