Rare Video of the 308 in the making at Maranello | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rare Video of the 308 in the making at Maranello

Discussion in '308/328' started by miketuason, Feb 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Here are some stills from the video. After almost 40 years I finally get to see the face of the lady with the brush.

And tell me that isnt the same guy working on the motor.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Oh yes that is it, exactly the same time period. Excellent book, thanks for sharing Tommy! I got to get me a copy of that book.

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Wow great photos. I have a similar Ferrari book with the same photos in it and with a forward by Niki Lauda that my parents gave to me as a kid. Interestingly mine has a different cover and shape but I'm sure the content is similar. Without a doubt those are the same people in the book as in the video. Great eye for catching that.

4. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Not just the same time period, it looks like the same day. That guy working on the motor seems to be wearing the same blue turtleneck shirt in both. And that makes sense. They had a media tour day, lots of cameras and reporters, lots of pictures taken.

I don't think the paintbrush lady is the same though. Different hair. Or a different day.

f355spider likes this.
  5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That matches perfectly the figures published by the factory about its output, which was about 2500 cars in 1982: 230 effective worked days multiplied by 11 is 2530...
    (The actual number of worked days was about 252, but the factory was closed completly for most of the month of August at this period in time)

Rgds

miketuason likes this.
  6. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I love it's not just me and that other people continue to Geek Out at period videos of the Ferrari factory from the 80's and early 90's. I've said it before but I really feel like it was the last of the "mystique" era. When you didn't see one everyday or social media. Also they're building record numbers of cars today and there's a surplus of inventory and available order slots at every dealer. Happy for the brand but it's lost that true OMG!!! moment I had when I was a kid and just happen to see one.

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  7. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
  8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't think the 412 came to the US. At least not officially. But the 400 did. Correct me if I'm wrong.

9. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Got to get a hold of a copy of that book.
    Thanks for posting all the pictures!

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    400 was not a US model.

11. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    According to a quick Wikipedia perusal, none of that platform were officially imported to the US:

"Following Ferrari practice, their numeric designations refer to their engines' single-cylinder displacement expressed in cubic centimetres. The 365 GT4 2+2 was introduced in 1972 to replace the 365 GTC/4. It then evolved into the 400, the first Ferrari available with an automatic transmission. In 1979 the 400 was replaced by the fuel injected 400 i. The improved 412 ran from 1985 to 1989, bringing to an end Ferrari's longest-ever production series.

Although the option of an automatic transmission and compliance with U.S. emissions indicate it may have been designed for the American market, no version of these grand tourers was ever officially imported there as Enzo Ferraribelieved that emerging environmental and safety regulations and a 55 MPH national speed limit suggested the company's 8 cylinder cars would suffice in the US market.[2] Many, however, entered as grey imports."

Is this right?

12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Really don’t understand, you can clearly see from the video that the 308s are hand built and limited to less than eleven car a day of production which makes these cars so special and yet the value now is just like regular cars of today. I say our cars are way way underrated. I will a hand made sculpture over a machine/robot made sculpture any day when it comes to fine arts.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #41 Rifledriver, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    No, there is a lot wrong with that.

None of the series was ever in compliance with American smog requirements. I have no idea how they got that idea.

And theIr reason for not being imported was wrong too. American smog and safety rules were changing so fast it was hard to keep up. Ferrari sold so few of that class of car and homologation was so expensive they never bothered because they would have to go through it every couple of years. Look how many changes the 308 went through from 75 to 85. Why do that for a couple hundred cars? Besides they knew the gray market would do it for them so they sold them anyway.

Crowndog likes this.
  15. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Thanks, I saw enough of them stateside that I didn't realize they were not actually US cars until a few years ago.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    2 dealers imported a lot of them . More may be here than in the EU.

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Another photo of a lady armed with a paint brush and can.
    The guys who spend thousands and thousands on fresh paint jobs for their classic Ferrari would be horrified if their painter touched up any imperfections with brushes, but there you go.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

430tdf, rob, f355spider and 5 others like this.
  18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That pic is from a couple years earlier.

I love these. I wish I could get them high res enough to print out and frame

Rosey likes this.
  19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Looks like the same lady buddy.

20. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    How funny, that Godfrey Eaton book was my very first book on Ferrari, bought by my parents for me when I was around 9 years old- I still have it.
    I read it cover to cover many times over and kept it next to my bed for ages.
    Fast forward to 2020 and I must have close to 300 books on Ferrari, as well as owning my own Ferrari dream car.
    ... from little things, big things grow. :)

Thomas Magnum and miketuason like this.
  21. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    Thanks for sharing that video.

22. emillarosa

emillarosa Rookie

Sep 3, 2016
    Nel rispetto della vendita di Ferrari a Las Vegas, è normale che sia successo. Il concessionario praticava un prezzo inferiore e pubblicizzando in modo migliore il suo prodotto. Ad esempio, nella mia città, Trieste, nel 1986 sono vendute 64 Ferrari Testarossa e circolanti un paio in totale

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

Respecting Ferrari's sale in Las Vegas, it's normal for that to have happened. The dealer charged a lower price and better advertised his product. For example, in my city, Trieste, 64 Ferrari Testarossa cars were sold in 1986 and in circulation a couple in total