Cali T vs. Portofino | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cali T vs. Portofino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by fga4, Jun 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    I have a Porto but also think like the previous person commented - the Cali is great also and to look at them just as two different cars.
    I also think this is what is termed a “first world problem” if deciding between the two is the hardest decision you have on your plate :)
    I am pretty certain nobody is unhappy with what they decided on in the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rule12b and Chizz like this.
  2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Make sure you see both cars. In person, the Porto looks quite cheap on the outside, a bit Pontiac plastic appearance. Several of us were quite shocked actually upon viewing. Cali is more metal looking. Someone summed it up as a 458 looks hard and metallic whereas a corvette looks like plastic.

Looks are subjective of course.

3. XDINO

XDINO Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Chicago / Naples
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Interesting comments. Viewing a Cali T and a Porto together in person the styling differences are striking. Styling is what kept me from buying a Cali or Cali T after driving both at their introductions. No such problems with the Portofino, it somehow manages to look excellent from any angle, top up or down. It’s true that looks are subjective. As far as looking plastic vs metal, perhaps people see what they want to see.

NZCREW likes this.
  4. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Also, on plastic vs metal, I think it depends a lot on the colour. I have seen the PF in Rosso corsa and agree it looks like the panels are made of plastic. Not the case for Rosso portofino...

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Agree with RC which is the first PF we saw. Then white.

6. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    I did not buy a Portofino because of the huge cheap Fiat type plastic rear bumper. The plastic part on the side can be replaced by a carbon part but nothing for the bumper. I know someone who asked to have it paint by Ferrari in the same color as the car. Better but gets a lot of scratches.

7. XDINO

XDINO Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Chicago / Naples
    Full Name:
    Rich
    When viewed as a bumper it’s true that it is large and bulky. Many exotics now have complicated rear diffusers to optimize aero as does the Portofino. If considered as a diffuser the Portofino’s, though complex, is one of the better looking ones.

8. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    If you look closely underneath it is pretty obvious it is as much aero as a bumper.. I don’t notice mine but I think color makes a difference - I have Grigio Silverstone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Good point. It sure improves aero but the plastic quality is not up to Ferrari standards IMHO.
    Several people have been complaining about it and when I mentionned it to the Ferrari dealer they answered Ferrari will probably correct it for the next version based on the comments they received. They adapted the Cali T based on feedback from daily drivers (improved air conditionning, more space to put keys phone etc, less wind noise when driving open top,...). Improving the rear diffuser/bumper is one of the comments they received for the Portofino.

10. Cogie

Cogie Rookie

Apr 12, 2018
    Lisboa,Portugal
    Full Name:
    Per Gandrup
    Iam also 72 and driving a Cali T as a daily car. Its comfortable for long journeys (600Kms) without back pain. My plan is also to exchange for a Portofino some time in the future. People say that using a Ferrari as a daily car is a no no. Thats bs .

Chizz, tommygun64 and tomc like this.
  11. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    A good comparison video.

tommygun64 and Chizz like this.
  12. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Outstanding video thanks. I really enjoyed that.

13. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Heeee looks like my Cali T on the video except for the yellow calipers (I have the silver one)
    Those are indeed very different looking cars.

Chizz likes this.
  14. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    I have seen both up close, I think the Portofino looks better, except for the rear bumper. It has a more aggressive profile, swoopier fenders and doors and a more chiseled front end- which means a closer family resemblance to the 488/Tributo. I can't swing the $120K premium to buy the Portofino and still pay Ivy League tuition, but I'm happy that many here can, so it will be a Cali T for me.

odellicour likes this.
  15. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I think the styling is subjective for sure. The Portofino is a new look and there are things I don't like as much as I did with the Cali T but what I do like better are the wheels. I thought the Cali T wheels were not very attractive but the ones on the Portofino are. I do like the look of the area above the trunk better with the top down on the Portofino. The bumps behind the seats look better than the flat surface on the Cali T. The interior is waaaaaaay better though, the seats are better, the infotainment system is better and the steering wheel is better. The Portofino is very comfortable to drive and ride in and the seats are better looking.

The addition of the surround view and the radar on front and rear makes the car a lot more friendly on the highway. I have come to rely on the blind spot monitoring and while I haven't used the ACC, it's a helpful thing to have on longer trips where there are a lot of cars on the highway. The extra power is noticeable but I don't think the handling is that much improved.

I think they both look good in the driveway.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tfazio, Les Tso, inox and 1 other person like this.
  16. JBlack002

JBlack002 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 17, 2016
    Mooresville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A few more side-by-sides of my previously owned Cali-T (Grigio Silverstone) and current Portofino (Rosso Portofino). One’s preference is totally subjective as both are beautiful cars. I tend to agree with the perspective communicated in the video in this thread. i.e., The Portofino is more sculptured, aggressive and athletic in appearance, which I prefer. I also think that the Portofino is more striking when you see the car in person. For example, the way the “haunches” pull in before the rear wheels is more evident and appreciated in person, in my opinion.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Les Tso, tomc, inox and 2 others like this.
  17. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I don't think Portofino's boot is bigger than in California. At least not by 52 liters as mentioned in the video. Do owners of both cars have experience on this?

18. BLACK CARS

BLACK CARS Rookie

Sep 23, 2016
    Having had a F430 Spider and my wife having a Cal T, which she since replaced with a Portifino, I would get a 488 without a second thought. The F430 is crisp and sporty. The 488 is a lot more so (sharp acceleration, tremendous brakes and corners like crazy) whereas both the Cal T and Portofino are 'pleasant'.

19. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Jim...Is your Porto stock height or lowered? Gorgeous car, by the way!...T

JBlack002 likes this.
  20. JBlack002

JBlack002 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 17, 2016
    Mooresville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Tom, the car was lowered 1” on the stock coil over springs by the dealer (Foreign Cars Italia), at my request. They said it was fine to do this, although you need the optional Magneride suspension. It’s an improvement, but I need to look into wheel spacers to get the stance even better. I’ve had zero issues with scraping, etc.

tomc likes this.
  21. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    if its price that is the biggest delta, how about wait another year for porto to depreciate and then buy a used one of those for somewhere between used cali t and new porto? best of all worlds

LightGuy likes this.
  22. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I've owned two California's and a Cali T. I put 30,000+ miles on both Cali's and 41,000 on the Cali T. During that time I've also had two FF's and this past summer bought a new GTC4Lusso which has 9,500 miles on it now. Two days ago I took delivery of a brand new Portofino. The Portofino is WAY better than the Cali T which was far better than the Cali's. The Portofino may be as fast as the GTC4Lusso. It is stiffer, more nimble, and it seems way better with acceleration. Styling is FAR better, with many of the aerodynamic devices that are on the GTC4Lusso.

Redneck Slim likes this.
  23. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    wow that's a beauty. what color interior and more pics please.

24. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    tomc likes this.
  25. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    300 lbs?! can you give us specific numbers and options please. seems too big a loss