Resources for learning about 60's V-12 models? | FerrariChat

Resources for learning about 60's V-12 models?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by PMiranda, Feb 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    There are some great threads in the forum for the modern high-volume models (ie F360/430), but I haven't come across much on the classics. I know I've always envied the sound of the small-bore 12's and that the rare models are so pricey I wouldn't want to actually drive one very often. Any suggested reading for learning enough about them to pick one that won't be a shiny red money pit?

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    60's v12 can mean anything in terms of $.

From $200k queen mother all the way to a 250 GTO at $70m.

How much would you want to spend?

I dont think any of these are expensive to run, esp if you plan to just do a few hundred miles a year. If you plan to do concours and such and want to win trophies that's when you start spending a lot in order to get the car as perfect and matching as possible.

I'd say find one that you think is beautiful in your budget and start looking at what's available.

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Essentially all classic/exotic/vintage cars, including older small-bore 12's, are money pits. Some more, some less and often depends on at which point one chooses to spend on it, at the beginning or later. If spending money on them is a major concern factor, I'd say it would be best not to get involved with them.
    As for reading, there's probably more books published on "shiny red" ones than any or many other brands. There is/was a thread here few years back where a member ("tongascrew" ?) was sharing his book reviews on many. Digging up that thread might be a good start.

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #4 miurasv, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Disagree. Ferraris were always considered cars for millionaires due to maintenance costs and price of spare parts, even in the '60s and '70s.

5. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    OK, a few of you may have expected my comment so here goes.

There is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with driving a vintage (Daytona and back) Ferrari as everyday transportation. I have been doing it for over 42 years.

I purchased my GTC in November of 1975 with 42060 miles on it. I am the second owner.

I’ve driven it around 150,000 miles, now putting on around 6,000 miles per year.

From the mid-70s to mid 80s, I participated in many track events, having put on around 8,000 track miles. Then I drove it to work the next day.

I use it on long trips, to go camping, to go to model airplane contests, local errands and vacations.

I rebuilt the engine at 162,000 miles and it now has over 190,000 miles.

The only thing I’ve done since the rebuild is balance the carbs and change the spark plugs.

I also built a new exhaust system – my own design.

For everyday reliability, I’ve upgraded to Hayden cooling fans, Bosche coils, a GM alternator, Delco condensers and a Blaupunct stereo/CD player.

I had the original shocks rebuilt at 182,000 miles and I rebuilt all the suspension myself.

The beauty of the vintage cars is simplicity. The most complicated thing in my car is the radio! I’ve only figured out how to use around 20% of its features.

The ignition system consists of points, coils, condensers, distributors, plug wires and plugs. Just like your 1955 Ford.

Another big plus regarding vintage cars is the fact that you can work on them yourself. All you need is a good complete set of tools – mine are mostly Craftsman with a few odd ones modified to suit specific purposes, and some simple electronic gadgets.

In addition to tools, the most important things are common sense and PATIENCE! I’m no mechanical wizard but I have rebuilt my engine, transaxle and suspension and done a bit of interior upholstery work.

I also painted the car myself – yes, I learned how to paint in 1975 when I painted the GTC. It was originally a light metallic blue and I thought it looked horrible. So, I painted it Corvette Bright Yellow.
    The philosophy is: Set it up right and when all is right, LEAVE IT ALONE and drive it.

My car starts easily, runs well and is fun to drive. The few minor issues don’t bother me one bit.

Regarding appearance, my GTC is not by any means a show car BUT – it is the only car to have won Best in Show TWICE at the Hilton Head car show. Of that, I'm quite proud.

I rest my case!

Bob Z.
    ps - I'm just a retired engineer. NOT a millionaire - never have been, never will be.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

blkfxstc, LARRYH, Hawkeye and 5 others like this.
  6. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Thanks! this is the sort of thing I was hoping to hear. I never have been into concours, so sub-million cars are what I'm looking at.
    Really I'd be happy with a 330GT. Probably the most common and lowest priced of the era so there are several out there for sale, unfortunately none I've seen in central Texas so I'm not in a big hurry. In particular I saw one in Florida that claims to be original unrestored and with more miles than my wife's Z3 so something like sound sounds wonderful. I'll go looking for the book review thread. I've also found some basics on Hagerty.com that help but nothing as detailed as I've read about BMWs yet.
    Hopefully after I finish my garage project I'll have something of interest to talk about...

7. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    If you manage to find a good condition 365 GT 2+2 with all mechanics and suspension in a properly serviced state , you'll have a permanent smile on your face even longer than the car's length , believe me I just can't put the smile out after 2 years of ownership ;-)

8. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Ooh.. good tip on the 365... I somehow missed that model while trying to avoid the $1M+ cars. Purely a matter of taste but I'm not a fan of the more angular later models. I love me some round headlights :)
    Also, found Tom Yang's website yesterday. Some great stuff there, even spotter's guides.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
  10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    You da man Bob.....But for the love of god, please lose the skinny whites! :p

EnzoItaly likes this.
  11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The 330 2+2 is one of my favorite Ferraris. Although at 4 liters I wouldn’t call it small bore.

Mine:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

LARRYH, PMiranda and amerikalei like this.
  12. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    "small bore" relative to the more recent 6L monsters. I'd really like an earlier ~3L but those are alot harder to find!

13. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hi, Tri!
    What? you don't like my whitewalls?
    I just thought they look kind of cool!
    I have used just about every brand of tire available and the Uniroyals are the best all around - ride comfort, longevity, cost and wet weather handling.
    The ones I liked the least were Michelin XWX.

Bob Z.

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Great reasonings and I really like the fact you’re not taking the purist approach too seriously, but rather enjoy the car by driving it with what ever features or mods you deem appropriate and necessary to do so.

15. Super_K

Super_K Rookie

Aug 30, 2015
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Alex Kochis
    Like the OP I wanted to get into a classic Ferrari so last year I bought a '65 330 GT 2+2 for under $300k. I actually purchased it in Houston, TX then over the following five days drove it to El Paso, Los Angeles and up the West coast to Seattle where the car lives, close to 3,000 miles.

The car was fantastic at that drive and was mechanically reliable and quite comfortable. Jumping in feet-first like I did isn't always the smartest way to learn but it is a good way to learn a lot in a short amount of time.

I learned a lot more about this car on the drive than I would have if I had shipped it up. Among the things I learned are that I really like driving this car, and the car really puts smiles on people's faces. At every stop people wanted to come up to the car and ask about it or take pictures. Last week I took it one block away to get gas and at the station a woman wanted to know the year and a guy came up and politely asked if he could take a picture of it. I am surprised how much it gets noticed and how positive a reaction people have.

Attaching a picture here after the car ate a tumbleweed while crossing Arizona.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Smiles, Bowzer, llink and 5 others like this.
  16. Pmo75

Pmo75 Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    I also highly recommend a 330 GT as an initial v12 buy. The engine is fantastic. It’s not as dynamic as a Gtc because the gesrbox is upfront and is a bit heavier, but it’s a classy car that is very popular. I get lots of thumb ups in Paris which does not have an easy public...

LVP488 and Bowzer like this.