F1 transmission | FerrariChat

F1 transmission

Discussion in '360/430' started by o31982, Oct 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. o31982

o31982 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    nes
    Ive been in the market. The more F1s I drove the more I see myself driving it. The problems with F1s are steering me away from it though. I found a 360 I like, 500 miles on new clutch, fresh annual, new brakes, rotors and tires.

I was assure It's ready to go (still working out minor details) but overall it looks good on paper. It's a 12 year old car, I am expecting things here and there but I don't want a headache.

Anyone else feel the same? Any F1 owners want to chime in?

Thanks

2. sirjankovic

sirjankovic Karting
    BANNED

May 30, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    SirJankovic
    I have a F1, 2002. If you get F1 make sure it's 2002 or later cause the TCU is upgraded and awesome, this is where they started to figure it out. F1 is awesome. Before 2002 get manual.My F1 is super smooth.

3. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    What problems ? 55,000 miles on my F1 360 and I expect to add a 1 in front of that 55,000.

Lot of people say that but the earlier TCU's work, just not as well. I don't think you need a 2002 or later car, just a early one with a later TCU like mine. My car is a 99 but with a 2004 TCU, works great.

4. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I love F1. As mikeyr said, you can always upgrade your TCU in an earlier car. I have a 2001 360 and put a CS TCU in. The 2001 TCU "worked" fine. I was perfectly satisfied with it when I bought the car, until I had something to compare it to. The CS TCU makes a world of difference, not just on crisp, fast shifts, but also dramatically improves the life of the clutch. The later version 360 TCU is also vastly improved (and I'm not exactly sure how it compares to the CS TCU as I've never tried it). Actually, the best reason for the CS TCU is the rev matching downshifts...blip blip blip! Here's a short video from my car the day before yesterday on a C&C drive that has a couple blips for demonstration. It would really be a handful on the twisties to shift anywhere near as fast, let alone rev match every time. Plus, I'm 6'6'' and don't have space for the clutch, so F1 is perfect for me:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBTjX9Ite-k&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

5. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    So what does a CS TCU set one back ?
    Nice to hear that 6/6 height fits.... I am 6/3 and I really am tight in a 360, did you do seat lowering mods or anything ?
    Lastly- gotta love the Viper plate in the vid ...... A little partial here, having a 97 Blue/White !

6. sirjankovic

sirjankovic Karting
    BANNED

May 30, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    SirJankovic
    My bad, that is 100% correct-of course you can upgrade the earlier TCU's- I was just lucky to be able to get a 2002 where it was done already by model. A few other issues I wanted to avoid compared to earlier 360's. Earlier F1s work fine but they're definitely jerky, especially between 1st and 2nd-at least mine were-all the way back to my 355 F1 where the F1 was definitely in its beta. The F1 as a whole has worked nothing but perfect. People say issues etc, not true-mine have been 100% reliable and a joy, especially the later (or upgraded ones).

7. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I have the thin carbon race seats, so that helps with room too. Don't even have it all the way back, extra inch or so to spare.

Cs tcu is real pricy new, due to very limited supply. Racambi asks about $5.2k last i looked. I found one used for about $2.3k in the fchat ads, but it took three months of searching and patience to find it.

The viper driver is a great guy, and very talented driver. I agree, love the plate!

8. futureferraribuyer

futureferraribuyer Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2010
    Love the F1. So far put on ~5000 miles since buying it 6 months ago and no problems. Wanted 04 but bought this 03 because everything had been sorted and replaced - new clutch, belt, tires, brakes, motor mount, fluid etc. Definitely the right move for a first Ferrari as all I've had to do was put in gas and drive it. Practically speaking living in SoCal it's hard to avoid traffic which is totally unpredictable. F1 is more practical for SoCal I think if you are going to drive it and stick would be more fun if you're going to take it out occasionally.

9. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    On my 6th Ferrari and first F1 and I love it. It makes driving fun and down and up shifting is great. More enjoyable experience driving.

sparetireless likes this.
  10. alvav

alvav Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Leonidas Vavougios
    A member in France says that he can reflash our tcu's with the CS software.

11. Philcat

Philcat Karting

Mar 8, 2012
    MD
    Full Name:
    Phil

Contact Eric in France about a reflash, or new ones can be had ordered from Europe for roughly $2K delivered to the US.

12. Supreme360Swag

Supreme360Swag Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2011
    Peninsula bay area
    Full Name:
    Allan
    +1 the f1 trans is very nice. It takes a little bit of practice to drive it smoothly during stop and go traffic. I tried 2 different 360 with manual gearbox and I thought it was a bit difficult to shift at times. Maybe the car had some issues. Cause both cars felt completely different from each other.

sparetireless likes this.
  13. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yep, same here. Mine is a 99 and when I test drove it the shifting was a bit rough. Part of the deal was the dealer put the later TCU in for me. The difference is staggering really.
    The downshift blip is very cool as well.
    F1 is so much fun.

14. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have an 05 360 with F1 and its outstanding. Trouble free and a dream to drive.

15. Chrissy p

Chrissy p Rookie

Jun 19, 2019
    Leicestershire UK
    Full Name:
    Chris peat

16. Chrissy p

Chrissy p Rookie

Jun 19, 2019
    Leicestershire UK
    Full Name:
    Chris peat
    I’ve had no probs with my 2000 plate F1 . Just go for it. No it’s not as smooth as later models but so what.! I luv being thrown back a bit when upshifting at speed. Is that not what it’s all about.?? Don’t regret buying mine for one second..!!

17. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    F1 system works brilliantly. I don’t experience any joltiness at low speeds and the bit you get at high speeds adds to the character IMO haha

18. rudkinjc

rudkinjc Rookie

Apr 27, 2019
    Jacksonville Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe C Rudkin II
    I have a 2000 360 F1. Love it but 1st to 2nd is rough. Is the upgrade TCU just a plug and play? I mean can I just take the old one out and put the newer one in? Same wire connections? Anything else need to be changed? So the best cheapest route would be to buy a later TCU and have if flashed to the CS?

19. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I wonder if he did "just go for it". 8 years ago...

Skidkid likes this.
  20. Blue360

Blue360 Rookie

Jan 31, 2010
    Newport Beach
    I have 71k miles on my F1, love it,

I drove a stick version, its not that great, and kind of hard to use.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  21. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I have a 2003 F1 I bought about 2.5 years ago and over 5K trouble free miles since then. It's my first paddle shift car. Prior to my 360 I always had sticks in my "special" cars. Before I bought my F1 I drove a stick 360 I flew out to look at and test drive that I was sure I would own. Drove it and decided it wasn't for me.

Stick shifts... I aint never goin' back ;)

Apollo 11 likes this.
  22. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Agree. A little too "archaic" to me for a Ferrari built in this century.