355 Owners - What’s Your Valve Guides and Manifolds Story? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

355 Owners - What’s Your Valve Guides and Manifolds Story?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Rossocorsa1, Jun 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Better than most alternatives when all factors considered. When I was in California for many models it was all the law allowed.

2. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Yea of course, I have heard about cars and California.
    I'm the other side of the pond .
    However I envy the US car culture.

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    ShineKen likes this.
  4. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Yes, it's a trade-off. Also, Labour costs are way more expensive in Italy than in Taiwan.

5. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    if excessive heat is the main reason OEM manifolds become distorted and unusable, is this completely remedied by deleting CATs?

6. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Capristo never made manifolds huh? Are Tubis the best headers money can buy?

7. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    in one word: YES.

8. Buzzl

Buzzl Formula Junior

96 Spider
    guides replaced at 18,144 miles
    installed Tubi manifolds and exhaust
    Capristo by pass valve

Sounds and runs great!

9. Ben111

Ben111 Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Is there a way to determine if my car has tubi or oem headers?

Mine has a tubi exhaust so i’m wondering if a previous owner changed the Headers also

10. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    check the pictures in this thread then check out the car - if cannot identify bring in a shop put it on a lift

11. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The stock headers were by Ansa and the heat shielding is smooth. The Tubi heat shielding is a little different- its textured.

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    My new car (2.7), previous owner replaced both OE headers at 18k miles. Both sides showed cracks. He paid $6k for another set of OE headers in 2005. 180293 / 180294. I believe Scuderia Rampante swore by these headers. Not sure why. I wish people would just stick to buying Tubi vs OE. Tubis are cheaper too!

Car now has 30k mi, so about 13k mi on headers. I’ll be pulling mine out as soon as my new Larini headers arrive. I’ll be opening them up to see if they are the same junk as before. I think it’s retarded to spend $6k on headers every 15-20k mi.

jimmym and Skippr1999 like this.
  13. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I know a local Ferrari mechanic who insists that sometime in 1998 Ferrari improved the Ansa headers with thicker-walled tubing, and these later headers have significantly greater longevity. No idea if this is true.

ShineKen likes this.
  14. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    Chicken or the egg, chicken and the egg, chicken and eggs........LOL

First element is heat? Is that heat ALWAYS from the CATs? Any other source? Is engine bay heat enough to cause
    a problem? Does that heat "travel" from the CATs and affect the headers? Next, does the heat cause the valve guide failure?
    Guessing the worst is when chunks of the cracking headers get into the engine?

Is this the correct chain of events? Or is there a different, even random chain of events?

Are there other factors besides heat that cause the header and valve guide failure? If the CATs were never installed
    at the factory, would there never be these issues?

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    We’ll know soon :)

16. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    My friend bought new headers for his 98 5.2 and they lasted 4000kms before the left side blew out. So who knows. That was with hard driving though so everyone’s mileage may vary. I took my (thought to be original) manifolds off at 50,000 kms and replaced with Tubi.

ShineKen likes this.
  17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Before I ordered my Tubi headers I ask around with the Indies in NE and all replied the same: Tubi is superior to new Ferrari OE headers. My '95 OE headers lasted for 30k miles. I doubt the Tubis will see an additional 30k as long as I own the car. Frankly, I'm not that impressed with the Tubis. The tubes may be better but the shields are very thin.

ShineKen likes this.
  18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    My 99 F1 had the original headers replaced at about 5 years and 13000 miles by ferrari so unsure if that is true.
    The next set lasted 4 years when I changed to tubis they were still good and checked out fine
    Tubis have been there since 2008 or so.

19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Shields might be thin, but as long as it is functioning as designed, how much of that matters?

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Probably not much but I just like the cleaner look of the OE shields and also the ability to sample each cylinder's exhaust separately. Frankly, if it wasn't for the significant cost different between new OE and what I got the Tubi for I would have gone with a new set of new OE.

21. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    '95 41,600 4th owner, got her at 17K miles. As best I know original valve guides. Original headers too. XOST exhaust & test pipes & challenge grill. Though under it the other day & noticed fiberglass fluff under the left side header.
    She's due for a major next Winter so I'm thinking time for headers too if my mechanic agrees it can wait. Dont know which brand I'll go with.

ShineKen likes this.
  22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Tubi

23. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Re the Tubi shields -- any idea what material? Stainless, Iconel? Is there insulation on the backside? It looks like it, and that alone would make them better than factory, which is just a stainless clamshell. Modern heat blanketing combines a layer of insulation with a thin metal shield, usually 4-10 mil. I've used this stuff and it's incredibly effective.

https://www.designengineering.com/floor-tunnel-shield-ii-21-x-48/

24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    1) Tubis are insulated.

2) OEM are insulated.

25. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I mean, yeah, there's some rags and stuffing in there, but it's on a whole other (less effective) level than modern header heat blanketing like the Tubis have