Merak SS Clutch | FerrariChat

Merak SS Clutch

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by qvee, Feb 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qvee

qvee Karting

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    Went to start the car and no problem at all - Warmed car up with car parked and started in neutral!

Brake felt fine but clutch peddle was totally soft virtually totally disconected from any type of accuation!

Any clues would be appreciated

2. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Fill clutch fluid reservoir w/NEW unopened bottle of DOT 4.
    Pump clutch pedal 30, 40 - 50 times until it returns!
    Report.

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    There is most likely a leak in either the master cylinder or the slave. Usually it is the slave. Boralogist suggestion might work but it is only a temporary solution as the fluid will most likely leak again. Look for the slave cylinder and see if it is wet with brake fluid.
    Personally I do not like what Boralogist suggested as it can lead to damaging the seals inside the master cylinder. I prefer to fill the clutch reservoir, open the bleed screw and let gravity do its thing; then slowly pump the clutch pedal a few times, then close the bleed screw. A better way to do this is to with a hand vacuum pump on the bleed screw and suck the new fluid ... no need to pump the pedal. In any case, you need to find where the fluid is leaking and get that fixed.

In rare occasions the master cylinder internal seals fail and there are no external leaks. If you find that the clutch reservoir is full, then suspect a failed master cylinder. If the slave cylinder seal fails there will always be an external leak.

Ivan

qvee likes this.
  4. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    I simply provided a DIY 3 minute option to be able to drive his car to his mechanic.
    qvee's post did not sound like that of a person who was about to start rebuilding his own system.

I don't disagree (much!) with anything you have said once the car is on the lift!

qvee likes this.
  5. qvee

qvee Karting

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    Thank you all for advice! Everything has just been renewed but its incredibly frustrating! I continually feel like the Dutch boy ith the finger in the dyke! Fix one leak more pressure on the next weakest point!

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I agree with your observation and temporary fix. I keep forgetting that not everyone takes pleasure in taking things apart with the hope that they can figure out how to put them back together :)

Ivan

boralogist likes this.
  7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My wife assists me with all my bleeding.