Parking Ferrari on street | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Parking Ferrari on street

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Penguin, Feb 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    At a car show I came back to people sat on the bonnet. A friend with 348 GTS found somebody sat in the car! :D

2. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I think I'll take my old Z3. I still would not like anything to happen to it but a lot less bothered if something did. Well so long as it did not stop me going home :D

A348W likes this.
  3. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    My 360 has 2 dashcams fitted facing front and back, it's a good distraction for people looking at the car at shows, I was sitting on a bench close to my car and no one knew I was the owner so I over heard someone say to their friends 'the owner even has a camera facing the back, fair play to him'

Also I have 2 stickers stating 'IN CAR CAMERA RECORDING', one in the windscreen and the other on the rear engine bay hood. It may look a little unsightly but prevention is better than cure right?

Does add a little peace of mind when parked up somewhere that may make someone think twice before doing a jealous reaction

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MalcQV likes this.
  4. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    ^That might work at a car show but the scenario OP described is overnight parking with questionable street lighting and adjacent bars/restaurants with likely inebriated patrons suffering from impaired vision i.e. "beer goggles" lacking the visual capacity to identify dashcams and even if able to recognize said dashcams probably don't give a f-ck at 2 AM.

LP360 likes this.
  5. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee

Agreed, in the day not so much but I wouldn't put it to the test at street parking over night!

6. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Got that right brother!

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Park where you will be personally comfortable, that's pretty much it. You do you.

Personally, I park wherever whenever, my cars are not worth enough for me to worry.

:)

8. Penguin

Penguin Rookie

Oct 16, 2016
    No to both questions. Only upside as I stated before is that this is a very small city in the middle of nowhere (western Kentucky), so not much foot-traffic. If I were to take the car (haven't made up my mind yet), I would park it outside my condo and put a generic car cover over it. BTW, they put me up in a condo not a hotel.

9. Penguin

Penguin Rookie

Oct 16, 2016
    Damn, I'm really sorry to hear that. My Ferrari is a spider, and when I first got it I had these thoughts of rude people throwing stuff at me while driving with the top down. Fortunately that has never happened, and actually I have never had a bad experience in my 3 years of ownership. However, if something like that happened to me that would really kill my buzz about driving it around.

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I've parallel parked mine on main street here in Charleston for the morning.. but would NEVER park it downtown overnight. It will get trashed. I had a college age girl sit herself on the front fender while I was talking to a friend in a shop. He boyfriend of all people told her to "get off the car". Naturally they were gone by the time I could get outside. And this was in front of my friends shop with video surveillance..

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Yes, it killed the buzz for me a whole lot. There is something about Ferraris that just triggers jealousy and irrational behaviour like nothing else.

Manda racing likes this.
  12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Does your boss have an exotic car?

13. Penguin

Penguin Rookie

Oct 16, 2016
    He drives a corvette, so he’s really into sports cars like me. We are both doctors, except he has a wife and kids and I’m single, thus I can afford to drive a Ferrari and basically he can’t. That’s what really makes me want to take the car. I’m pretty much the only person in my circle that has the disposable income to drive an exotic car, so I try to give people the experience, especially if they are car guys.

Dr. K, Texas Forever and Manda racing like this.
  14. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Five or so years ago in Manchester city centre in the UK, driving my F355 down the main street in the sunshine after a charity event, about five early twenties perhaps, yoofs and one shouts some "Rich **** comment" and throws the last dregs of an ice lolly at the car. I still wanted to stop but fortunately (I'd have had my face kicked in no doubt) there was no where to stop and my missus reminded me what a bunch of worthless losers they were so I carried on.
    I'm sure he looked cool in front of his pals.

15. kahrl

kahrl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 19, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob Kahrl
    Boy, I don't know where you guys drive your cars! I have had showcase Ferrari's for fourteen years. I have parked them on the street outside a bar/restaurant numerous times and watched what happened for a couple of hours. Always respect, never a threat. I have left them overnight in rural village parking lots. Never a problem. I know where the big-time bars are in my area -- the ones that have to kick out a dozen patrons when they close at 2 am -- and I wouldn't want to leave my F's outside one of them. But I've never had a problem with "soccer moms" in grocery store parking lots. I have noticed that when I park my F in a remote part of a big-box store lot in order to be careful, when I come out of the store, invariably others have parked their cars next to mine, and they have never dinged it. They respect my cars, They park next to mine in order to enjoy being near it. I enjoy them enjoying it. I live in Northeast Ohio. I don't think that the people around here are resentful of F owners. They admire the cars. However, I do not take my F cars to major urban malls. To me, the main significant threat is a group of teenagers with nothing to do. The sort that "hang out" at the major malls. Boutique malls are fine, but not a mall served by the regional bus line. So those are my rules, and they work for me.

16. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    maybe a co worker in the hospital/clinic lives close by and can rent out a garage to you.

17. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Ferrari is worth far less than yours, and there's no chance I would park on a street overnight. Even less so, for the reasons you're giving.

18. Penguin

Penguin Rookie

Oct 16, 2016
    That would be a good idea, but logistically that's not possible. There isn't anybody at the gig that lives reasonably close to the condo I stay at.

19. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’d do it with a couple car covers.

20. Sean bose

Sean bose Rookie

Jul 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sean bose
    B

21. Sean bose

Sean bose Rookie

Jul 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sean bose
    I can't even fathom the fact that you're considering parking the 458 on the street! Years ago in a nice part of DC in front of my home I parked a 300ZX, next morning the windshield was smashed and the hood dented.

22. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I think the environment in which people live in have an impact about how each person feels about parking on the street. I would never park it on the street in San Fran, or a few other cities in this country. If it's the type of small town I'm thinking of, that usually clears out by 5pm, and doesn't have a college/university that feeds into bars in the small downtown, I think I'd be okay with it. I've worked in many rural areas of East Texas and Louisiana. While I'd feel uncomfortable with the attention, I wouldn't expect someone to actually mess with the vehicle. Much less in the area of the town center.

That said, I'm also a lot more relaxed about parking. When I'm back home and go to the Domain in Austin, I park in regular parking spots, just not near the bar hopping area. Although, I do make some effort to park away from other cars, I don't go out of my way. I parked it outside at the Hampton Inn in Alpine, TX; and more recently Zaza in Austin parked it outside overnight (granted it was within site of valet). Ultimately, your gut should give you a good idea of whether or not special parking is warranted. That said my sister has a 911 and had one incident where some backed into while in valet, and another hit and run on the same car in her apartment parking garage. So, frankly, it's all really a game of chance.

From the tone of your posts, it seems like you feel comfortable with it. Personally, my only concern would be the patients seeing it in order to avoid potential negative stereotyping. I'm not a doctor, but it's the same reason people at my work don't know I own a Ferrari. I'd love to share it with some who'd really appreciate it, but as a contractor I don't want to become a target in case a Sr. Mgr/Exec somewhere up the chain feels they're paying me too much.

23. Penguin

Penguin Rookie

Oct 16, 2016
    I agree, if I were to go to San Francisco or frankly any city that is an actual metro I would not be posting this question. There would be too much foot traffic and it would only take 1 jacka** to do something stupid. However, this rural city is in the middle of nowhere. My condo is next to a bar, but when I walk by it at 8pm on my way back from the gym there are literally like 5 people in there. There is no college/university in this region.

Regarding driving the car to the clinic and have patients seeing it, I differ from your opinion. Everybody I know knows that I drive a Ferrari. In Louisville where my real job is, I drive it to all the places I work, and the people at the front desk at our imaging center commonly tell me about patient's making comments on the Ferrari, all compliments. Maybe there are people who secretly resent seeing their doctor driving a F-car, but I made the choice to take that risk. When I work at the hospitals it's more of a non-issue because I park in the doctor's parking lot in the back of the hospital and there is no way for a patient to link the car to me. I see how as a contractor your pay could theoretically be hurt if people think 'you're making too much', but for doctors most payments go through insurance and the prices are all set with very little negotiation.

Regarding your sister's 911, I would just chalk that up to sh*t happens. That wasn't intentional. The Ferrari transporter who takes my car to/from dealer for maintenance told me that in his experience talking to F-car owners, only 50% of owners actually drive their cars, while the other 50% have it sitting in their garage as a showpiece. Sure, if I keep my car in the garage all the time nothing will happen to it, but then like what's the point?

Texas Forever and VAF84 like this.
  24. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    My only concern with parking mine has been busy parking lots where someone with an older truck or SUV will back up into it since its low and dark.i did this in my old tundra(opps) and nailed a brand new prius parked behind me. This is probably not a problem with street parking in a sleepy town though. With presumably well lit streets.

Ive only had my car a few weeks but kept quiet within my practice, only talking about it when it comes up and the audience is "safe". Its helped me make friends though. I think the culture is a critical factor, and im fortunate to live in an area that is Fcar friendly. Being a small town, hopefully there are some fun roads there to let loose a bit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Penguin likes this.
  25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Car guys would certainly understand why you would have reservations about leaving the car unattended on the street for a week. Simple as that.

JimEakin and Penguin like this.