Engine Cover struts | FerrariChat

Engine Cover struts

Discussion in '348/355' started by jferrante, Feb 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    I have read through every thread on this and ordered a set of stabilus struts SG437007 based on feedback here. They came, installed, engine cover fell right back down. I then looked a bit more and found the SG404018 were 15lbs stronger so I ordered those....same thing, slightly stronger but will not hold the engine.

So what's everyone using that will hold this damn thing up? 2 times changing these out was enough want to make it 3 times a charm

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Since the cars were first made I have been ordering struts from various Ferrari parts suppliers with 100% success.

Maybe order from someone who knows what the correct parts for the application are?

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Sachs SG437007, or Stabilus 094390 is correct. Both are the same. 400 N (90 lbs). 275.5 mm length (10.85"), 100mm stroke (3.94"). I have them on my car. They work perfectly.

4. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    That's what I read and thought as well. Might try a different supplier but doubt that's it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Just checked the Stabilus web site. 094390 is the correct Stabilus PN. Sachs and Stabilus are the same. Different brand, same manufacture.

6. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Tuff Support

7. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    So I am a little bit of an idiot....I have a duckbill on my car right now that we added, although it is fiberglass and pretty light it was heavy enough to give the struts extra load and I wasnt smart enough to realize that was the issue. I used the site mentioned and found the same dimensions of the stock struts and found some with higher force and will be trying those. Great website.
    Thanks

8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I would only change 1 side. If you go to strong it tends to damage the bonnet when it jars open.
    I want to see a picture of the duck though.
    Maybe you should have just gone for the Rooster upgrade!!