My Ferrari 488 GTB in for Stage 2 tuning | FerrariChat

My Ferrari 488 GTB in for Stage 2 tuning

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MMDubai, Feb 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MMDubai

MMDubai Rookie

Feb 4, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    MickMauri
    Hi from DXB to all,

after a couple of carbon fiber parts from novitec, set of ankry wheels, I decided to finally to do a Stage 2 Software upgrade so I can keep up with my friends, included a new set of downpipes, a beautiful sounding valved exhaust system and diverter valve adapters.

I would like to know which numbers you get with a Stage 2 tune? I got 628whp 798wtq (also a screenshot attached that i got from my tuner)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F12london likes this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Are your numbers STP or SAE? If not SAE, you need to deduct 5% at least if you want to compare to OE. Have they calculated the C_hp SAE? I'd say that's a more interesting number if you want to look at it compared to offerings from Novi and the like.
    What kind of power did it make prior to the tune? A dyno number is not worth much if there's no data to compare it to.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Gh21631 likes this.
  3. skyscorcher

skyscorcher Rookie

Jun 16, 2017
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Roberto Zanon
    Hey very interesting post, and useful info. I moved recently in Dubai and I'm also looking for some info about a 488 I'd like to buy. Tried to send you a PM but couldn't find a way to do it. So I'd like to hear from you if possible.

Thanks a lot

4. MMDubai

MMDubai Rookie

Feb 4, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    MickMauri
    Hello Co Pilota, sorry but Im not familiar with STP/SAE. can you explain my? i will talk to my tuner. I have dyno with exhaust, stock software. vs with exhaust and Stage 2 Software.

skyscorcher likes this.
  5. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    Buy Dragy, and compare your 100-200, or 60-130 times with the times of other people from all over the world in stock and tuned cars. it is much more indicative than the digits from dyno.

Gh21631 likes this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Now that the prices have come way down on the 488s I bet we see a lot of them modded. For not a whole lot of money you can add a ton of power.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It is two different correction factors. SAE J1349 is a very common factor used by all that are under the Chrysler and GM umbrellas, as well as many Ford brands, including Ford. The STP, sometimes also called STD and standard, is an older correction factor that uses both a different barometric pressure as well as a lower ambient temperature which both means the corrected power number gets higher than SAE. I'm surprised that your dyno sheet does not even say anything about the correction. This is highly unusual, and frankly, rather unprofessional.
    A dynosheet not detailing the test parameters and correction factors are pretty unusable. I'm well aware that dyno numbers are not that accurate generally, and that they are best used to see the difference of various parameter changes during a tuning session. This is also why before and after numbers are crucial to determine what the actual gain is. Even two well calibrated load bearing dynos can show different results, so it's nice to see a baseline test before the tuning is done.
    Many performance shops use the STP factor to get better numbers, and then excuse themselves by saying that's the standard used in the tuner ane engine builder world. Yes some do still use it, but using SAE is the real standard. When I'm shown a dyno sheet from someone at a car meet for instance, and he is bragging about the power he gained over stock, I always ask if it's SAE or STP of the sheet does not say. If a race shop offers to tune your 488 to 750 ps for instance, then as a customer it's okay to assume that's 750 ps vs. 670 ps. But if the guy then uses the STP correction, then all you get is 712-715 ps. There's a huge difference in paying to get 80 ps vs. getting 42-45 ps. In other words, that's cheating, and way too many shops pull this crap.

If you really want to know what you got, do the following.

Arrange a dyno session with your tuner. Put the car on the dyno and have your tuner put in the stock factory tune. Run it on the dyno till everything reaches normal operating temps. Then do five power pulls and average the numbers. Then have him load the new tune and get the car back to a steady operating temp as it might be a bit hot from the first pulls. Then run five more pulls and average those. Now you have a clear indication of what you gained in %, and that is a properly telling number.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

skyscorcher likes this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I would say measurements of speed and time between stock and the mods would be ideal. You should always have a baseline so you can measure success.

9. MMDubai

MMDubai Rookie

Feb 4, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    MickMauri
    Hello Pilota, now i know. yes sure he do correction, but we use here ISO or DIN for correction, about that im familiar also use OBD2 read while dyno. Im very happy :D

10. MMDubai

MMDubai Rookie

Feb 4, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    MickMauri
    I have front lip, side skirt, rear wing (downforce) and big wheels, my 100-200 number not good. also very bad fuel here.

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Still would be good to know before and after.

12. MMDubai

MMDubai Rookie

Feb 4, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    MickMauri
    yeah i know.. sadly i never recorded numbers. i dont know full stock, with aerodynamic parts and with a Stage2 tune.. I beat all 488 (soon vs pista) will see how that goes, he will also do a Stage 2 upgrade, i wanna test before he goes for it.

13. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    I see you changed from Kline innovation downpipes to another brand, way is that.
    I can see the diameter is bigger. Looks like Kline is 3” and the other brand is 3,5”.