458 values/trends | Page 7 | FerrariChat

458 values/trends

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Joe P., Mar 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its easy to say you'd do x y or z when those align to your preferences. Right now its easy to see how a 458 would be attractive to many in the market for such cars. But in the future, the preferences of the market might be different. So I'd be careful when thinking super long term. How many people said they'd never buy a Ferrari without a stick shift? Has that affected 458 values at all? What happens when all cars are super quiet. You might not admit it now, but you might feel more conscious about driving a car with a loud V8- even stock... times and attitudes change. JMHO

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    oh yeh sell me ur 458 and replace it with a 488...

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    NOPE

thats not my point. My point is whats attractive to the market is often assumed by many- and for a time, it may very well be the case, but, things change, and the market will move on.

As an individual, I make my own decisions.

4. 458LOVE

458LOVE Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    The 2nd post in this thread says about 20,000 made in 5 years aprox. Is that true?

5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    That seems to be a good ballpark, but the total of around 20,000 probably includes all versions (Italia / Spider / Speciale / Speciale Aperta). So around 17000 or 18000 for the regular Italia and Spider.

6. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    it only makes sense. 488 is better and depreciating. i'm truly shocked 458s have held up as well as they have (i get it last NA v8 an the sound/feel). Ferrari are embarking on the mclaren route of horrible resale. after all they make way too many cars now and they're all automatic. making them in stick again would be a huge differentiator since performance parity among all brands is at hand.

7. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
  8. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I think you might be on to something. The 488 is faster, more refined than the 458 not to mention its a real stunner but it might feel more like a McLaren too. The 458 being a NA engine just feels more lively IMO. There's just so much competition now with these turbo enhanced motors so maybe that's the answer. Prices for a 458 are holding for a reason and maybe the NA engine provides the differential.

Surfah, up4speed and Apollo 11 like this.
  9. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I am not a professional race car driver and all of my driving is on public roads. The acceleration/speed difference between 488/458 is meaningless for my application. I drive purely to be entertained. The 458 is FAR more engaging/entertaining than 488. As such, I'll never own a 488, and I'll always keep my 458.

Who cares what they are worth, today or in the future. I only care about the enjoyment I derive from driving the car today. There are far better "investments" than a car, but precious few better ways to spend money than on a Ferrari.

Docjohnw1, cy0811, Lance F and 13 others like this.
  10. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Totally agree. I've always said that I bought Ferraris so I can enjoy losing my money.

11. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If I could SUPER-LIKE one single post concerning all value threads on F-chat this is the one :)

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    But even the 458 is too much for the road. Ive had several hot hatches that are more engaging than the 458. And actually its embarrassing to see them overtake a 458

13. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #164 up4speed, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Everyone has a different base line, skill set, and risk tolerance, "too much car" is all relative. It's mostly the skill of the driver that determines how fast a car is.
    In my case, I own a hot hatch (VW GTI) that I happen to also LOVE. There is this really nice winding road with elevation changes, tight turns, etc. I call it "my personal race track" It's about 7 miles long, and I can practically drive it to the limit with my eyes closed (at one point, I even catch a tiny bit of air!). Yes, you are correct, I drive that road faster in my GTI than I do the Ferrari. But trust me, it has nothing to do with the car, or my skill level. It is 100% due to my risk tolerance! I love my 458 too much, so I need a MUCH bigger cushion of safety, nor do I want to catch air, or break it. I tend to drive the 458 "like an old lady" comparatively. I guarantee that if I drove YOUR 458 through there, or if it was a rental, I would be WAY faster than in my GTI!, LOL
    As far as engaging goes. My 458 is way more engaging than my GTI. However, if I owned a 488, then maybe I would have to really think about it. That's the reason I still love my 458 and have no desire at this point to "upgrade".

Docjohnw1, xfrgtr and MANDALAY like this.
  14. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    The 458 may be too much for you on the road not me. I love power (daily drive an 840hp Dodge Demon), the more power the better. There are times and places you can use the power safely. Just an open on ramp makes for a lot of fun, or seeing an opening on the freeway to make a pass. I feel like my Demon is a time machine slot opens, hammer down and I am transported there before the guy even knows what passed him.

I love my 458 but the power of the F8 is just to much for me to resist!

up4speed likes this.
  15. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I get the article, but no thank you.

Aside from not needing the car’s money, I only live once and I prefer to have a Ferrari or two in the garage than lots of numbers in a bank account.

Furthermore, these were the same magazines that a decade ago give or take, told people over here in Europe to sell their Testarossas. That you’d be crazy to keep it. You’d be a financial fool through and through. A lot of people did, in the neighborhood of 60.000 Euros, and now you can’t find one, in any sort of condition, for less than 100.000 Euros.

Good advice is very rarely free.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

16. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's not any different. That 60,000, if invested over the same 10 yrs. at 6%, would be 107,500 approx.
    I consider it a wash. As I always say, buy the car you want to enjoy. And sell it because you are done with it. If you try to buy or sell for a profit, you will probably be disappointed at the end. If it's about money, there are far better ways to make money. The 250 GTO is definitely an exception to that, but not sure who could have predicted that back then.

Surfah and Apollo 11 like this.
  17. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I get it, Chris. But truth remains that at the time, it wasn’t the best advice. Far from it. An incorrect prediction of the market which, nonetheless, started a frenzy which people came to regret years later.

And truth be told, over here in Europe in the last 5 years, returns have been nowhere near those 6% or US averages.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

18. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I understand. I was just trying to look at things from other angles as well.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  19. CrapsLuckyDice

CrapsLuckyDice Karting

Apr 28, 2019
    NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Glad I found this thread. While my wife understands that all cars depreciate she seems to think that all of our exotics will depreciate like a rock. Although I 100% agree that everything will depreciate, I don't believe that say in 5yrs from now a 458 Spider with let's say 30k miles would be worth $10k. She seems to believe that all these cars will eventually be worth the same as a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid we had recently traded in for $4k (bought new for $36k originally). Again, this would be heresy but you never know just how low these things will go -- just check out the mp4-12c spider from McLaren which are going for $90k on cargurus.com!!!!
    I'm more curious from everyone to understand your thoughts on what is a realistic figure that a 458 Spider would actually depreciate to in say 5-10years. I'm not selling mine, but would be curious as I just want to let her know.

20. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Ferrari's have a different stigma built in that other cars don't have. With lambo's, more drive them and it's accepted for Lambo's to have more miles on them without people worrying or caring as much. Gallardo and later, they are super solid cars. Ferrari is different as many store these cars and first time owners are looking for super low miles and 1-2 owners usually. If that's not the case the values are much lower with miles and multiple owners. I get it, but that's not me. I drive my cars and enjoy them. A good friend of mine knows I'm looking at 458's (he's had just about every car you can imagine) and told me (get the lowest mileage you can find, buy it and store it) which I'm not going to do.

So, to answer you question, a used spider that's driven with multiple owners in 5 years from now will never go below 100k, that I can tell ya. Maybe if it had 45k miles.

21. steve guess

steve guess Rookie

Aug 21, 2018
    Turks and Caicos/ Utah
    Full Name:
    Steve guess
    I just listed my 2013 458 spider at salt lake Ferrari for 279k, they sold one last week for 250k. Well spec'd cars are going up quickly.

430jm, 458 Spider 0414 and Thecadster like this.
  22. mariosnk

mariosnk Rookie

Mar 27, 2021
    Cyprus
    Full Name:
    Marios K
    488 qualities:
    1.Internal combustion without electric motors
    2. No particulate filters

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Just an FYI, You replied to a posting from March 2018!

24. mariosnk

mariosnk Rookie

Mar 27, 2021
    Cyprus
    Full Name:
    Marios K
    Oops …still applies though…both points when compared to 296GTB, and point 2 only when compared to F8