360 - Clutch/Throttle issue--Bucking | FerrariChat

360 Clutch/Throttle issue--Bucking

Discussion in '360/430' started by gidleigh, Jan 16, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
    I have had my 2001 360 F1 for 6 months. Since I have owned it when starting out the car accelerates then stops accelerating and keeps doing this in a vicious cycle until I shift into 2nd. The clutch is new 2 years ago. I have had it on a computer and the pis is set at 4.8 with 12% wear. On a manual clutch it would be like letting the clutch out too soon and getting a bucking action. Any body with clutch experience have any thoughts?

2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Let's do the preliminary checks. Any fluid leakage? Is the F1 fluid level OK? Was the F1 fluid ever changed? Possibly air in hydraulic system.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    How does air in the system do that?

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Pretty common for those new to the car. The throttle is sensitive. Ferrari even suggested starting in 2nd for smoother starts. Its in the manual. That works OK if you don't mind wearing out the clutch. You are going to have to be smoother on the throttle. Have another 360 owner drive it and see but there is a very good chance it is a matter of your technique.

BrettC, Kevin R and Apollo 11 like this.
  5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    How many threads are there with new owners not being positive enough on the F1 clutch for it to fully engage ?

I'm not saying this is your issue but its worth considering and/or comment

(Beaten to it by post above)

6. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Please explain how does air in the system NOT do that.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sure, I'll prove a negative. No problem.

How many years of F1 service experience do you have?

Apollo 11 likes this.
  8. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Still waiting for your reply ... :D

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Good luck with that.

10. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That's what I thought. :D

11. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It's a viscious cycle - you're letting off the gas, the car bucks and you hit the gas, then back off because it lurches forward... As mentioned above more initial pedal pressure and don't let off the gas as you go. I found myself doing the same, I think it's a habit from driving an actual manual.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Exactly.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You don't know squat so don't give technical advice.

14. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow. What a sore loser!

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Hey man, once the car is in gear, it's in gear. The F1 hydraulics is only there to function during the gear shift. Once it's in gear, the hydraulics are no longer affecting the gearbox.

Have you ever driven a car stuck in 1st gear because the clutch cable is broken? You apply smooth gas pedal and it is smooth. You jerk the gas pedal and it lurches. The clutch cable does not do squat.

16. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Bad analogy using a cable clutch system to compare with an F1 system, in my opinion. Simply put, the F1 system have hydraulic circuits to control gear selection and a hydraulic circuit to operate the clutch. To say that air in the clutch circuit do not affect clutch engagement is ludicrous.

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You're presuming that the OP HASN'T just tried a smoother pedal approach. If the OP has applied the pedal and it still does it, it implies a throttle potentiometer is funky, odd signal to the throttle bodies, or funky gas delivery/mixture. If the initiation is abrupt, it could be air in the system. Why a bleed wasn't done while reading the clutch life is beyond me..

18. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
    No fluid leakage. Brand new F1 pump 5 months ago.

19. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Inadequate bleeding of the air in the hydraulics of the F1 system will causes drive-ability issues.

When I opened up my hydraulic system to replace the pump/motor assembly, it took care, discipline, and time to bleed the system. I learned, to my surprise, after reading the technical data in the workshop manual that the pump for the F1 ran between 617 psi and 882 psi. I was shocked with these pressures.

You can not expect the F1 system to work properly if you have air in the system. If you study the technical data, you will find specs on the tightening torques for various fittings. At the pressures noted above, it becomes obvious why this so.

Good luck.

Jim

20. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Begs the question, did the mechanice change out the entire pump or just replacing the motor and leaving the impeller in place? If changing out the entire pump, it's recommended that you purge the entire F1 system with new fluids.

21. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The F1 system is very complicated. You also need the right diagnostic tool. I use AutoEnginuity, which allows you to do a TCU relearn, purges, do PIS setting, gear selection, etc.

22. Greg Larson

Greg Larson Rookie

Nov 12, 2018
    oregon
    Full Name:
    Bob the Builder
    The PIS is set too low. Try adjusting the pis from your current 4.8 to something like 5.2 or 5.4. It will engage the clutch a bit slower , smoothing out the start. GL

one4torque likes this.
  23. JaguarDriver

JaguarDriver Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Dick Maury
    I have a 2004 3 pedal and it does the same thing. Low speed trying to hold a constant speed, it bucks. It is a mile to the head of the neighborhood so a very regular thing. I have noticed it is not as bad when warmed up. Shift to second and/or put under load and it smooths out. I have gotten used to it but would be nice to know if normal or something out of adjustment.

24. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Many performance cars tend to "buck" in low gear at low speeds. It doesn't matter if they are manual or automatic transmission models. My opinion why is that the driver is causing this condition. In the aircraft world, this is called a "Pilot induced oscillation". Cars with high power and low first gears are extremely susceptible to PIO's. As the driver presses the accelerator, the car accelerates briskly, setting the driver back in their seat, and consequently, their foot comes off the gas a little. When the car responds to this decrease in throttle, it slows, and the driver moves forward in their seat and their foot presses on the gas pedal again. The car, now lurching forward, accelerates and the cycle continues until the driver presses harder on the accelerator, takes their foot off the gas or switches to a higher gear.

The solution to this problem is simple. Be aware of what's happening with your rear and your foot. If you feel being pushed into the seat, keep a mind on where you foot is. Train your foot to maintain position independent of your leg and the problem goes away.

I've had a number of high performance cars that manifested this problem until I got my accelerator discipline under control. The 360 is sensitive in this low speed, low gear regime but not overly so.

RANDY6005, Apollo 11 and Skidkid like this.
  25. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This. I have always done car control with the throttle so I have good accelerator discipline and I virtually never had bucking. I will say, once you start the bucking you have to take it out of gear to solve the issue. Once you start the oscillation the lash in the driveline will sustain it. It can be stopped without going out of gear but that takes VERY specific throttle control.

EastMemphis and Apollo 11 like this.