Soooo... got my new seat covers... | FerrariChat

Soooo... got my new seat covers...

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferraritalian, Sep 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you've never done this before be prepared for a lot of yanking, stretching, pulling, adjusting, heating and shrinking followed by more of the same multiple times. It's a lot of work to get it right. Fortunately these days there are probably a hundred YouTube tutorials full of tips and advice. The quality looks good from what the pictures can show. Make sure the cushions and padding are in good condition.

2. Ferraritalian

Ferraritalian Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This might generate some “project creep.” Carpet, redye door panels? Didn’t order the extra seat backs and dp side pockets with it. Not sure about a spray dye that exactly matches this, either.

3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I watched a few utube on steaming out the foam cushions to like new condition on olde cars. Have not tried it yet.

cls likes this.
  4. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    randkin and 308 milano like this.
  5. Arthbkins

Arthbkins Rookie

Jul 10, 2018
    Where did you buy these seat covers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Topsonline.com

7. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well, my restorer texted me today and he is ready for me to go find an interior shop. Says the seats are kicking his a$$ and can’t figure out what the trick is to get them on. Special clips? Install kit? I’m about 2000 miles from Vics shop so I’m guessing that’s out.

Any help?

8. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Should be hog rings. I'd think any good upholsterer could figure it out. They didn't add a bunch of foam to the seats did they? When I got mine done he added too much but they looked ok.

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Find a better upholsterer.

These things are a nightmare, but a talented upholsterer can do it.

Matt

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Those need to go back where the came from

11. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I recently had the same seat covers installed. I had a local upholsterer do them, but he had a hard time fitting the bottom, so I sent the bottoms to Vic at Topsonline to finish it.

You have brand new covers going over 40 year old foam. It takes skill and fine tuning to get them to fit and look good. Foam may need steaming or layers added. My advice, send the seats to Vic at Topsonline or find a local, experienced upholsterer.

Once the seats are in, the door panels and pockets (If a GTS) will look aged. Vic can make new pockets or you can buy a hide of matching leather and cover the side panels.

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I would have thought the older the foam, the easier to put on because they compressed.

I'm worried about that thicker black trim on the back. Will it fold in and look like it should?

13. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Why do you say this?

14. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve

So is shipping the bottoms an option you suggest?

I’d like a bit more helpful input than “get a better upholsterer,” snark withstanding.

15. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just called topsonline. I ended up talking to someone who didn’t know anything. How do you talk directly to Vic? Their lighter tan is Magnolia. What is that? Supposed to be Crema. They couldn’t answer. Anyone buy their Magnolia before? I want to do an interior color change so I don’t have anything to compare it with. They are sending material samples.

To answer the original question. Someone else had this same issue with fit, using Vic. They separated the two parts of the seats(top and bottom), boxed them up and sent to Vic. You might also consider sending door panels and center console because it sounds like you will have a pretty big color difference. They told me they will only supply raw leather for center and doors.

Ferraritalian likes this.
  16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    There’s nothing complicated about these seats. Call them back (don’t email) and ask that Vic return your call when able. Extremely nice gentleman and i’m sure you can send him the seats and they will install the new leather.

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    At first glance I thought the horse on the headrest was not correctly positioned and I worried about the black trim. Then I was they were not going on as expected.

I think I jumped the gun a bit

18. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I thought the same thing. I have done front Porsche seats before, including all the sowing from scratch. I can’t find the post, but I believe Vic charged almost as much to install the seat covers as the 1900 to buy. That would imply to me that there must be something really difficult.

19. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I think the seats look nice - a nice combination of black and tan which ties it all together. My seats are still in good condition otherwise I would look at something like this.

The Topsonline website has a list of local installers in most states. No luck reaching out to one of them instead of shipping the seats which would add a lot of cost?

20. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Vic did the complete interior of my project 82 GTSi for $7200. That included both seats with insignia in head rests, door panels, black door arm rests, center console, lower fuse box cover, carpet and rear shelf. Shipped everything to Van Nuys In a crate, round-trip was $500.

I purchased new leather Seat covers for my Porsche 993 out of Oregon? Took them four months to complete with me prodding them every two weeks. Then another two months to find a local installer to actually install. Can add up to quite a circus for sure.

21. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My upholsterer had no problem fitting the back covers on the seat foam. He had to add foam and things lined up and fit well. When he did the bottoms, the foam had shrunk and the seat covers appeared "too big". I took pictures and called Nick and he suggested I mail the bottoms to him.

I figure he does more of these than my guy and he made them fit correctly.

22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Seat covers — whether with new foam or old — are the most deceptively difficult things to install in a car.

It also reminds one that watching YouTube isn’t a replacement for experience.

Matt

Saabguy and Ferraritalian like this.
  23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    In the Dino Section was a n excellent thread long ago that showed them rebuilding the bottom side bolsters.

Hint it was not a chunk of new foam.

It looked like slices of bread in graduated sizes to yield the desired shape

24. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    In the 80s and into the 90s, Ferrari offered 3 beige/tan shades - Magnolia is better known as Sabbia (Sand) on their sample swatches. My Euro 308 QV has the Sabbia leather, as best as I can tell - definitely not beige, not as 'bright' as crema.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Newer Ferrari interior colour samples:

Not a good interior picture, but this is my 308 QV that I think is Sabbia:

LuigiVampa likes this.