Tubi exhaust differences | FerrariChat

Tubi exhaust differences

Discussion in '348/355' started by treedee3d, Feb 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    #1 treedee3d, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I see 3 different configurations for the Tubi exhaust on the 355.

The first one below I've been told is the old model with the long bracket on top. You can see one pipe per side splitting into two tips.

The second one seems identical except for the changed brackets that say 355 on them.

The third one is what is listed on Tubi's site right now and they now have 2 pipes each with its own tip.

does anyone know if the sound or quality is different from one model to another and/or why they changed from 1 pipe to 2?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Michael Burgoyne likes this.
  2. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    not sure of the differences, but my Tubi looks like #2

3. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Choosing from just those three ........ I would take the 3rd one ...... :)

4. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    It's not really an option to choose from....it's the same exhaust Tubi makes for the 355 but it has changed over the years.

5. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    ok ......... I like the 3rd one over the others ...... though I cannot see the inside, it appears to have more total exit flow area ......... 4 x 2" > 2 X 2.5" ?(on the first two).................. no matter what it would sound like ....... :)

6. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Well, it makes sense that they would change it to make it better, not the other way around so you're 100% correct. Perhaps I should try asking them directly by email.

I heard they don't always answer.....

7. Arturin

Arturin Karting

Aug 16, 2009
    Spain
    If I remember correctly the difference between the 2nd and 3rd is the inside. In the second one, the exhaust gases from the y-pipe and the main cats go out through the same path whereas in the third one the gases from the y-pipe and the main cats run separately.

I have the second one which came with the car but If it were stock and I changed it I would go the capristo way, more f1-like one sound.

8. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I agree with you there but we're talking spending 1000$ on a used Tubi vs 4000$+ on a Capristo. I would love it but don't have the money for that and I want to absolutely improve the stock sound this year. I already have catbypass pipes and Fabspeed headers

9. Arturin

Arturin Karting

Aug 16, 2009
    Spain

I understand, that´s why I still have a tubi and not a capristo :)

My hopes are that some capristo owner here in Spain gets bored of the capristo loud sound and wants something less high pitched so we can switch exhausts, but I really can´t imagine someone wanting to get rid of that sweet sound.

10. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I had the 1st Tubi which was on my 355 when I bought it, and it was still on when I traded it in a month ago. I had Hyperflow cats, but if you're going with bypass pipes, any Tubi will sound even better!

11. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    bumping up this old thread.. since no one really confirmed/specified what the sound differences were between the 3 generations of tubi for the 355.

the only obvious difference with the 3rd and still current version ( Evolution) is the dual pipe configuration..

I currently have a Nouvalari SS on my car.. which has the dual pipe configuration, which im satisfied with..

but a Tubi is available locally at a reasonable price.. therefore purely to switch things up I would consider trying the tubi.

however it is the first version above, with separate cross bracket and single pipes..

12. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
  13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have the first version of Tubi on one of my car. It does not sound loud when the bypass valve opens (and I have wired the thing to open position) so that is not the one to get.
    I have the second version on the other 355 and it sounds really good.

MAD828 likes this.
  14. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    ok thanks good thing I asked...

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I have the 1st one to and from my point of view it pretty loud. I personally would not want much louder. I actually bought a stock muffle because the Tubi was a little louder than I liked, but the stock was too quiet, so the Tubi went back on and now I shift at 3k to save my ears. :)

16. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I agree.

I have driven a F355 equipped with the first gen Tubi and have owned the Evoltion on both a 5.2 and 2.7 F355 with and without cats.

The first gen Tubi is actually pretty loud at idle - almost too loud but does not get louder with bypass changeover. I didn’t like this.

The Tubi Evolution sounds much better - decent sound increase and burble at idle, and a big changeover in sound when bypass opens, so you can manage the sound level with your driving style.

The Evoltion is a great exhaust and I have now the Capristo level 2/3 and in some areas the Tubi is better than the Capristo. The Tubi Evolution however (especially on the 2.7) is a little boomy and can get annoying when cruising on freeway.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Certainly not the case on my car. I'm running stock headers, high flow cats and the gen 1 Tubi and when the bypass opens there is a substantial increase in sound and a different tone. It's a very clear sign that the bypass is working.

ShineKen likes this.
  18. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Perhaps it’s louder but the pitch does not change. Especially if you compare the change over to a stock exhaust or with the sound change in a Evolution.

The car I had tested was working bypass, OEM headers and high flow cats. It’s was so loud at idle and not much louder when at red line - again compared to a Capristo or Tubi Evolution.

19. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    I had a gen 1 tubi (for sale if anyone wants it) with hiflow cats and stock headers. before that I had stock cats. the sound difference between stock cats and hiflow cats was big, it was much louder at idle and screamed more at high rpm. it sounded nice on acceleration but was a bit loud on long drives. now I have a stock muffler on with the hiflow cats. its sounds ok, nowhere near as loud on full throttle as before. surprising though, its still quite loud with the stock muffler and hiflow cats at idle once the cats are fully warmed up. Im upgrading the stereo now. sign of the times as I get older.

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I know this is subjective, but that just doesn't sound anything like the way my car behaves. If I get up into the RPM range where the bypass is supposed to open but the throttle isn't open sufficiently and then slowly depress the throttle you can clearly hear the exhaust note change and as the RPM increase it screens (for my ears). At idle it isn't particularly loud; louder than OEM, still pleasant. But I can only compare it to my car with the OEM and Tubi. Perhaps All I know is that what is being described here by other as what gen 1 does, does not jive with my experience.

ShineKen likes this.
  21. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I agree with this - it’s hard to get a feeling for exhaust sounds unless your comparing apples to apples. Even the same model exhaust can sound different dependent on the miles it has on it as the packing wears down. This car with Tubi Gen 1 was well driven over many thousands of miles. So it was perhaps louder at idle due to this.

22. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    just looking for further feedback on the 1st gen Tubi.
    as mentioned above I have access to one locally for good price. so to start off the new season I may switch it in..

currently running: Fabspeed headers, Fabspeed test pipes/mini cat-spacers, Nouvalari ypipe and Nouvalari SS exhaust. on my 5.2 car.

the car sounds very nice, and as much as I was eager to get the test pipes in 2 years ago, im thinking to put the stock primary cats back in with the 1st gen Tubi.

im just concerned with some comments above, that the 1st gen is not much noticeable difference on bypass.
    I suspect due to single piping, the change over is not much when bypass opens. but with my catless ypipe it could improve that.
    whereas the nouvalari, with dual piping, it is very clear change when bypass opens.

anways looking for more feedback from 1st gen users..

23. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido

24. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    The very first Tubi looks just like the first one in the pics in post 1 but had straight cut tips/not angular. There was another Tubi that was made for a handful of 355s that came from the factory without the bypass. I bought one but never used it. Here is a pic.

25. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    #25 Ferrari Fanatic, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Back when I bought my 355 in 2003 the salesman said there were different variants in sound level based on the amount of packing used by Tubi.

So meaning the same Gen Tubi could have a different amount of packing, thus a different sound level. He said there was a regular and a loud.

As someone mentioned above, as the miles wear on, the packing blows out and the system gets louder.

I have absolutely no clue if the above information about Tubi is true, but clearly that what was told to me. I bought my 1998 355 from a FNA Dealer so I would think they would be moderately versed and knowledgeable regarding aftermarket exhausts.

Perhaps someone can confirm with Tubi. Worst case we get confirmation or an out right WTF