Fiberglass 308 gtb 2nd last usa spec? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Fiberglass 308 gtb 2nd last usa spec?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rock, Oct 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Interesting.....you did have to qualify to use their in house financing.

2. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I drive by their showroom everyday, will check it out during lunch or something.

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #53 308 GTB, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, North American version fiberglass GTBs do have a recess unlike the Euro version.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #54 308 GTB, Nov 8, 2011
    Right, Bubba. In addition, the earliest of the North American fiberglass GTBs came with the uninsulated Euro air box...

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #55 308 GTB, Nov 8, 2011
  6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #56 308 GTB, Nov 8, 2011
  7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Right, Yin. But all of that is easily repaired. This car is pretty straight for a fiberglass.

I think this is a fine example of a fiberglass GTB with some provenance. A few corrections would make this an even finer example.

Are the original books with this car?

8. Cigarpoor

Cigarpoor Karting

Jun 9, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I think this car looks pretty good for the money. Would make a nice driver or informal shine and show car. The US glass cars are still relatively rare and you do pay a slight premium for the "cool" factor, plus better cam profile, carbs, and no catalyst.

I have owned a few 308s and the early fiberglass cars really capture the Ferrari experience at its best.

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    My sentiments exactly, Andy. I think this is a good one.

Barry

10. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    #60 RAMMER, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
    These early cars are great performers. Forget about period road test claiming 18 second 1/4 times. Once you take off the pollution pump and the heavy thermal reactor muffler off these cars come alive! I have been in a QV and 328 and the performance is similar. Real big difference is how much better the glass 308 sounds. It is a 14.5 second 1/4 mile car. I know you don't want to drag race it but the performance is lively. Very raw with a razor sharp throttle....

11. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #61 greg 19425, Nov 10, 2011
    Looking at the pictures taken by ylshih, something is not right with the rear bumper in the shot of the left side. After looking at my car (#19425, picture attached) they just do not look the same? Maybe this little detail was changed on the last batch of plastic cars for the USA?

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #62 308 GTB, Nov 10, 2011
    Greg, my car's (#19399) rear bumper looks like yours...

13. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    where is 19805? Who has it? anyone on this board?

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The subject car of this thread is still available, if interested someone should call....

Ebay buyer was not aware of some importation details into Europe, and backed out of his agreement.

15. 308Storm

308Storm Rookie

May 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cargo
    #65 308Storm, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2020
    I have owned 19569 since 1985 do you have any history to share?

16. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    As I recall, I purchased it in May/June 1983 and sold it about a year later in Fall 1984. The selling dealer was Monterey Ferrari and they told me the owner before me was a young kid who had made a lot of money writing software for CP/M. After he bought it, his parents made him sell it back to the dealer because he got into too much trouble with it. Given the dates and age of car, that implies he was not the first owner. Over the year I owned it, I discovered it had been salvage repaired and repainted (Argento to Red). There were a number of issues with the car, including poor brakes, faulty electrical, and some other issues, so it was not properly put back together. When I bought the car, the dealer had a documentation package that included an appraisal by a Ferrari expert, but the appraisal mentioned nothing about salvage repair or repaint! During my year or so of ownership I moved from Norcal to Socal, started a new company, and I was way too busy to sort it out. So I just sold it in the Los Angeles area to a private party, who was Asian, with the initials RK (?). If you've owned it since 1985, I would guess you bought it from him?

17. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

hopefully the person asking for this history was somewhat prepared to hear this....

18. 308Storm

308Storm Rookie

May 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cargo
    #68 308Storm, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2020
    Ah, thank you so much for the history. I bought the car from a man in the Washington DC area, so that suggests he may of bought the car from the party you sold it to in the LA area.
    The car was a bit tatty when I bought it but looked ok from 20 feet. It was a real strong runner and about one third under market value at the time. I bought the car with the intentions of doing a full refurbishment along with performance upgrades and reducing weight.

So yes I uncovered all the horrors of the cars hard life and have been working to put the car back in proper condition over the past 35 years.
    The assessment/ work started in 1985, this entailed the complete disassembly and separation of body to chassis down to the last nut bolt and rivet.
    The damage repair required the replacement of one third of the frame, requiring a custom frame jig, donor and NOS frame members, countless hours of carful trimming back to original frame joints so that all welds would be in the original locations (no spliced tubes).

After steel analysis and filler wire selection the welding was performed by a nuclear certified welder using a process to closely match/duplicate factory welds. A roll bar was designed and added to the car for increased stiffness as well as removable panels in the firewall to better access the engine. The rear bulkhead and boot floor were replaced with punched and faired panels for better engine bay ventilation and reduced weight.

This frame process took the better part of 10 years and when it was all sandblasted, other than the mods the chassis is indistinguishable from new. Measurements for squareness and twist and tilt all better than 0.010”, well within any spec.
    One half the body panels were replaced with NOS Ferrari parts carefully bonded and riveted per the original then finished in Rosso Corsa (a very difficult decision) vs the original Argento.

The car is still a work (labor of love) in progress but I anticipate running later this year.
    Attached pic in 2010.

JuLiTrO likes this.
  19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Sounds like all good mods. So you did great, but unoriginal stuff to the car. Painting it Rosso should not have lead to any loss of sleep!

20. 308Storm

308Storm Rookie

May 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cargo
  21. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Great pic! Nice to see that someone had the time to put some love into her! I would love to see her back on the road.

22. 308Storm

308Storm Rookie

May 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cargo

Thank you, glad you liked it. Here is one more showing the quality of the PPG Concept paint, note the reflections of the garage door and siding in the quarter!