6 Speed Conversion | Page 6 | FerrariChat

6 Speed Conversion

Discussion in '360/430' started by rsmitchell10, Dec 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    and HOW do you get in touch with TREV??..... I'm starting to get a complex.... perhaps it's my breath?...... I need a tune from him in a bad way.

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Someone above pretty much nailed the analysis for gated —

when your f1 system goes kauput— and you are faced with x,xxx $ or XX,xxx$ for repair- you have the option to go gated 1 time and be done w it.

And get to experience a different kind of clackity-klick shift world.

hessank, Toonfosi, kes7u and 2 others like this.
  3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I’ll drop Trev a text, but you can always go to AV Engineering in the UK. He’s partnered with them, so they’ve got full access to his software tool.

4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Meh— not special.

no need to troll gated people man

kes7u and G. Pepper like this.
  5. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Are you calling me a troll because you don't want to answer the question? I think it's a reasonable question.

That 911 is beautiful and will blow the doors off a SCUD much less an old 360 or 430 and it's almost half the price and better condition than that 430 someone supposedly paid $141K for on BAT.

If by "special" you mean people won't notice it..... nobody can see your stick shift.

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    As above *meh*. I have a 997 in the garage. As nice as it is.. it's NOT my 360 and when I have to reduce the size of the fleet this year, it's going while the 360 stays.

nicholasn, Bundy, Mikael-F360 and 5 others like this.
  7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It's like asking someone why they wouldn't buy a GT-R over the CS...

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  8. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You have a 6 speed converted 360?

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Mine is original. If I did wouldn't change the statement. Why would someone buy a 997 turbo instead of a converted 360? Why would they do that?

kes7u likes this.
  10. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's not the question on the table. You're leaving out the aftermarket 6 speed conversion for 2X the price variable.

11. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's a huge part of the debate. Why aren't you converting your factory F1 to aftermarket 6 speed for $40K?

12. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I own Ferraris.... no Porsche's. I get that part of the debate. That's not what I'm talking about.

vrsurgeon likes this.
  13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Jason- no debate for me sir.
    Your position is clear and that’s cool.
    No need to beat the dead horse move along and flap your flappy paddles.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    See.. what I don't get is why someone would buy a 360 CS over a regular 360 with flappy paddles. It's the same car. Right?

15. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    They're both factory. Not the same debate. Changing the subject doesn't mean you won the debate.

16. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If I'm not posting this thread will die. There's nothing else to talk about.

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    No. Understanding the difference in driving experience between a standard F1 car and the CS, but can't "get" why someone would pay a lot of money for the stick driving experience either means naïve driver or just trolling for response. :)

18. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It doesn't matter how awesome a Porsche is, they don't do anything for me. It's exactly like a flawlessly beautiful woman who doesn't turn me on. There's nothing for it.

I'd rather have the high strung drama queen. :)

Mikael-F360, JaguarXJ6, APA#1 and 2 others like this.
  19. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I truly think I am not understanding your part of the debate.

I am converting my 360 F1, and with OEM parts, it is going to cost around 30k all in. It will then be identical to a factory gated car. Again, F1 vs Gated is modular in these cars.

I have several reasons for getting the conversion rather than buying gated. I bought this Ferrari without ever having owned or even driven a Ferrari. I didn't want to pay the premium off the bat for a car I may not keep. Now that I've had the car for a while, I realize how much I love it, and I don't ever want to get rid of it. And I also realize I would appreciate shifting a gated car significantly more during the limited occasions I get to drive it.

Am I correct in thinking that you believe I should have simply sold the car and purchased a gated manual? My main reason for not doing so is that I have a very well sorted example in the color combo that I love. Yes, it would be more difficult to find such a car, given the lower numbers of gated cars. In the end, I am probably paying a bit more for the car plus conversion than for a factory gated. But I KNOW this car. And it doesn't require any work out of the box. And it is identical to the factory gated. (again. Modular) And I am not concerned with not having the resale premium of a factory gated. I don't care. I don't ever want to sell it. And this is not a large purchase for me. If I used it up and had to throw it away in the end, it would not affect me in any way. (beyond emotionally!!)

I'm not sure I understand the question about the Porsche. I am not just looking for a gated car. I love the Ferrari. It feels special when I drive it, moreso than my Porsches ever did. I just feel that I would enjoy it even more if it were gated. There are many cars we all could have purchased that perform better than our 15-20 year old Ferraris, in the price range. Are you simply questioning why we purchase Ferraris at all?

Kevin

nicholasn, Bundy, Graz and 5 others like this.
  20. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    An existing F1 owner of a fully sorted car, who really wants a manual, should retrofit.

A new buyer should consider shopping for a manual from the start.

Asking why an F1 owner wants to switch, to me, is like asking why someone prefers Coke over Pepsi.

paulchua, Mikael-F360, catdog and 3 others like this.
  21. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I actually laughed at the suggestion of a manual 911 turbo! Not that it isn’t a good car, but it is a very different car. And this is friggin Ferrari Chat for god’s sake!!!

:D

one4torque and kes7u like this.
  22. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I get why people pay more for a factory stick which I've already clarified in this thread.

23. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It's almost half the price of the 2007 F430 with steel brakes, 20K miles and an aftermarket stick swap that supposedly sold on BAT.

24. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Well.... you have apples......and then, you have oranges.