Removing the Chrome Trim ring on Daytona | FerrariChat

Removing the Chrome Trim ring on Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by steve meltzer, Feb 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    How do you remove the center chrome trim piece from a Cromodora Mag? Thanx steve

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    By careful and even pulling/prying. They're press fit to wheel hub, at least on ones I've seen or worked on.

3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I never managed to get one off without damaging it, they should be a very tight fit.

I spoke to someone last week who claimed he had done though, I used 2 large bladed screwdrivers to get under each side and pried it off. Pry it in one position a little and then move it to the opposite position, do a little more and move back to the first position and so on. Spraying WD 40 first, this helps a little once it has started.

4. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    i was afraid of that. thanx steve

5. Colombo1

Colombo1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2009
    A heat gun and a putty knife has worked for me.....

6. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Heat gun always, but be careful using metal tools as they may dig into the mag. I have use plastic trim tools with heat, and a little time to slowly remove the rings. Same with installing, a little heat and heavy plastic bar and tap them into place.

7. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx, Jimmy. s

8. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    Make a lever tool.

Made from 1/8" steel. The short part is just a little longer than the distance from the hub to the outside of the ring. Ground to the arc of the hub and tapered to an edge. Welded to the handle at an acute angle so when the ring is almost off, the handle isn't hitting the rim. Stripping the paint from the hub helps after the ring has started coming up.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx again. kerry. s

10. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I have successfully removed these trims using small 4 nylon prybars of different thickness and WD40. I use the bars as wedges and hammer them in below the trim. Use plenty of WD40 and a heat gun (carefully). They are extremely tight fit but I have never damaged any of them.

Best regards Peter

11. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I've used a short wide stiff paint scraped and put a towel on the painted side of the mag so as not to mar it. It takes quite a while even with the WD40