330 GTC Ignition Switch | FerrariChat

330 GTC Ignition Switch

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by cyama, Feb 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cyama

cyama Rookie

Oct 18, 2011
    reno, NV
    Full Name:
    cary yamamoto
    I have taken my ignition switch to a locksmith to have a key made. He informed me that the lock cylinder has a crack in it. Does anyone have a source for a lock cylinder? I am ok with a used one as well. I was told the Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts may work as well. Is this true?

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The ignition lock assembly for the 330GTC was made by Neiman ( A German company). The crack in the lock cylinder is a fairly typical failure. No Fiats or Alfa Romeos used this lock. BMW 2002 also used a Neiman lock, but the parts are different. The only Neiman lock that is close is from an early Saab Sonnet.
    If you can find a good Ferrari assembly, be prepared to spend $1500-2ooo for it. The electrical portion of the ignition switch is the same as BMW 2002.
    My lock smith was going to have new lock cylinders machined up, but nothing ever came to fruition and he went out of business.

Brian Brown
    San Francico Motorsports

jippiejake, cyama, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  3. cyama

cyama Rookie

Oct 18, 2011
    reno, NV
    Full Name:
    cary yamamoto
    Thanks Brian,
    This is unfortunate since the lock cylinder is such a weak link to the entire assembly. Is it possible to find a lock cylinder to model a new machining project?

4. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Cary......here you go.

And.....Brian....you win The Price is Right round!

Tom Shaughnessy has an NOS assembly on Ebay for $2000. Includes two Neiman keys too!!! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Neiman-lock-assembly-/323165733485

Image Unavailable, Please Login

cyama likes this.
  5. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    The reason I found this assembly is because my 330 had a starting issue and I was looking for a replacement switch that is attached to the back of the cylinder. When engaged the starter motor would not stop. Had to pull the negative terminal off the battery to stop the starter. I didn't need a new cylinder just the switch.

The old Bosch version of the switch had 3 blades that sometimes would sometimes shift position and short by touching another blade. However since the Bosch is no longer available the "updated" mechanism had changed to using 3 small springs for contacts instead of the flat blades. One of the springs had broken and fused to the inside of the switch body.

Simple fix and back on the road. I should have taken pictures......oh well.

6. cyama

cyama Rookie

Oct 18, 2011
    reno, NV
    Full Name:
    cary yamamoto