Ferrari ROMA | Page 85 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Dark color. No shields. Me like!
    Gold wheels. Didn't like them initially, but warning up to them. I've seen them recently in some very nicely done specs here on F-chat.
    Interior? ☹️ Too busy. And has anyone figured out what those metal clips near the iPad are for?!?
    T

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  2. JotaEle

JotaEle Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Smörg
    Well, I take those reviews, or in general, any review regardless the car tested, with some skepticism. I know some motor journalists and some, few, are decent drivers, even fewer are brilliant ones while most others they could better be driving Dacias. All of them are brilliant at writing so you couldn’t tell how good drivers they are, thus how discerning they are, unless you’ve seen them driving.

I’ve been invited by some of them journalists to test cars, particularly demanding ones, so that I could give them my impressions on the car that they would publish as their own.

I own a Portofino and I wouldn’t justify my purchase because I wouldn’t mind saying the car wasnt good for this or that. I could have bought any car of the range but I went for a daily driver, sporty if not the sportiest and comfy if not the comfiest. That being said, the steering rack is quite ok and I haven’t had those problems those journalists seem to have experienced.

Perhaps... it’s not the car XD

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Senad likes this.
  3. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I agree 100%. If you want a daily driver, the PF is a supremely enjoyable car...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Have you driven an 812? It is very different than the F12 in this regard. It is also worth noting that the F12 and 812 is not GT cars in the GT line, so not really comparable to the Porto or Roma as far as far as prerogatives go. It should also be considered that the steering "issue" in the F12 has more to do with the über light nature of its steering, not just the speed. While the 812 also has a fast rack.and feels even less GT like than the F12, the steering is weighted better and the car feels very solid.

I'm not a fan of Autocar.when it comes to Ferrari. Seems to me like they have an axe to grind. As far as I can remember, they were for instance also incredibly critical of the 488 and Pista, but has since done a complete 180 and praised them above and beyond. Seems like they are seeking fault only to later on, do a complete about face, and have a different opinion.

From.my limited experience with the Porto, I cannot recognize any of the steering issues they describe. Only Ferrari in recent years that I recall feeling that way, was the original Cali, but that was more down to its oversprung and nervous chassis that its steering ratio.

So it is worth taking things with a grain of salt

But as the Roma is touted by Ferrari as the least scary and easiest Ferrari to drive, I think it is safe to say that they probably used a more traditional 2.5-3.0 style rack we'll seen in due time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Senad likes this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Very true. A bit on the harsh side at slow speed for a comfy GT, but otherwise a lovely dd.

6. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    Il Co-Pilota

I am curious what do you mean by "on the harsh side at slow speeds?" Let's face it most of the PF's are probably used for in-town slow speeds as I will be doing. I am weighing ordering a PF versus waiting for the new MB SL.

7. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, I’ve driven all of them, most on both street and track. I also don’t agree about the steering, I was just stating what has been reported. I think a lot of it has to do with the overall demanding nature of the cars and that’s the area they decided to pick on to sound like they’re breaking real engineering news and that they command heightened driver sensitivity compared with the readers who will likely never have the chance to get behind the wheel themselves.

The Roma comments about it being more approachable have me slightly concerned but if I don’t like the drive, I’ll simply move on. The tire size certainly has me scratching my head. 612 hp through 285s? The driver aides are likely more aggressive and hopefully 100% defeat able.

8. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    In a 3-day test weekend, I thought the PF steered beautifully at both high and low speeds. I don’t share the reviewer’s opinion in that article.

The one thing I will say is that most of our modern Ferraris have steered more naturally and confidently on Michelins rather than Pirellis. The exception has been our 812 which has been a gem despite wearing Pirellis on tdf rims.

I felt the PF might be the perfect DD for the real world. Did everything well and for me at least, offered a less stressful driving experience due to its lower cost. I purchased a secondhand FF because I wanted AWD, true rear seats, and the V12. It was also $194K USD so a bit less than a new PF. But I’d be very happy with a PF daily and trust the Roma will be great, as well.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not sure there's much to worry about tyre wise. The Porto is already using that size. The Lusso has little issue with the 295 as well. Also, with these specific tyres, Ferrari can choose to run a really wide tread on that 285, so there's that as well.
    What has me turned off is the statement from Ferrari that it's the more approachable and less scary car. The Porto and Lusso are far from scary cars to drive, so if they go softer that what the GT cars already are, there's definitely not much Ferrari left. I like Ferrari because they feel like no other, you can get behind the wheel and know what it is if there was not a Cavalino in the center of the wheel. If they take that away, then they can call it what ever they want, but then it has 100% stopped being a Ferrari. Let's see what happens once we get behind the wheel.
    I'm usually pretty glass-half-full, even with all the GPF talk and what have we, but I must be honest and say that I really find this one difficult. Both because of the generic design as well as because of the outlook of a Ferrari for those who would want something else.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Loool. You just caught me with my foot in the spinach:D
    I was on my way out and just wanted to give a quick reply. Read it as FF instead of PF lol.

11. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    But what is wrong with Ferrari expanding their market with less old school "Ferraris" and more in tune with the ageing market. Even if the Roma turns out to be "softer" than traditional Ferraris, as long as it drives better than other GTs and has the exclusivity of a Ferrari it will serve the company well. Of course the reviewers and traditionalist will moan but I would hate Ferrari to stay "true" to its past and become another Kodak, to take just one example of a company that stayed "true" and lost the plot completely.

Senad and SVCalifornia like this.
  12. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    As Ferrari hasn't mentioned anything specific about the "taming" of the Roma, maybe the biggest difference is just the styling.

Also, now that the Manettino has 5 positions, it already makes the car less scary as it has separate Wet weather setting. It is also possible that Comfort and Sport settings are bit softer now that there is additional Race setting as well.

Manettino settings:
    Portofino (3): Comfort, Sport, ESC Off
    Roma (5): Wet, Comfort, Sport, Race, ESC Off

Maybe the steering rack also follows Portofino's ratio of 2.3 turns. Ferrari has made steering quicker partly because it makes paddle shifting easier. The less you need to turn the wheel, the easier it is to reach the paddles. As far I recall, when paddle shifts first appeared journalist were complaining that it was hard to reach those paddles. I haven't heard such complaints anymore with latest Ferrari reviews.

vcappp and Senad like this.
  13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    No way the Roma is softer then the Portofino

14. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Regarding the raised section inside the Roma's boot (over the rear axle). I don't think this "shelf" is any shorter longitudinally than in Portofino after all, even though it appears so in the images and videos. It just isn't so easy to fit all suspension components within a smaller chassis box. It is also questionable whether Ferrari has modified the chassis in this area by any other ways than just removing the attached roof mechanism from it.

vcappp likes this.
  15. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, how you can lose so much weight and add horsepower and make it a less engaging and /or softer would be a neat parlor trick. I’m holding out hope that it’s more marketing speak and less reality.

Senad likes this.
  16. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    How many suspension setting levels current Ferraris have? I know that at least Bumpy Road button controls the stiffness, but do those different Manettino levels have multiple stiffness levels as well?

In earlier models there was a separate Bumpy Road button, but in Roma it has been integrated to Manettino (like in SF90 Stradale). This is evident in pictures as the separate button is missing and Manettino now contains a damper icon. I assume this means a push button operation has been added to Manettino.

vcappp likes this.
  17. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    There is a magna ride option available with 3 settings. It’s unclear if the base car also has a configurable suspension setting or is static. I’ve heard both, maybe someone can chime in. I’m opting for the suspension option as it’s touted as a performance upgrade in its stiffest setting.

18. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
  19. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
  20. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Here is a comparison view of Roma and Portofino.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Relationship is clearly visible with identical wheelbase and pretty similar proportions. View angles are of course slightly different and may affect dimensions in the images. However, it appears like the extra length of Roma (+ 7 cm) has actually gone to the rear-end instead of nose. Not sure if this is the truth. But at least the nose is not much longer than Portofino's. The impression of long nose is mainly down to the way Roma's nose is sculpted with undercut and lower center section of the bonnet.

The other interesting aspect is how much further back the top of rear window is in Roma. The difference is about 30 cm.

vcappp likes this.
  21. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    There was a minor scaling error in the previous comparison picture. This is now much more accurate, scaled using wheelbases and wheels. As said before, Roma's additional 7 cm in length appears to be mostly in the rear overhang.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

vcappp, BJK, RamsHmb and 1 other person like this.
  22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    As of now, there are three actual damper rates. Level 1 is the softest, and is only available in ICE mode. Level 2 is the stiffness in WET and COMFORT. Level 3 is SPORT, RACE, CT OFF, ESC OFF. Pushing the Bumpy Road button in a level 3 setting, will put it into level 2. Pushing the Bumpy Road button when the car is in a level 2 setting changes nothing.

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    As of now, there are three actual damper rates. Level 1 is the softest, and is only available in ICE mode. Level 2 is the stiffness in WET and COMFORT. Level 3 is SPORT, RACE, CT OFF, ESC OFF. Pushing the Bumpy Road button in a level 3 setting, will put it into level 2. Pushing the Bumpy Road button when the car is in a level 2 setting changes nothing.

inox likes this.
  24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The standard suspension is completely static.

008 likes this.
  25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Talked to someone who visited the factory a short while ago, whom asked this very question. The answer was and I quote "It's a different car for a different market. It was not developed with the classic Ferrari buyer in mind". Read what ever you like into it, but it's definitely an answer that gives us some hints.

Two things that answer leads me to consider.

Heavier steering and softer suspension.

inox, Astrid.Didier and 008 like this.