90 TR Twin Turbo build | Page 9 | FerrariChat

90 TR Twin Turbo build

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by timemachine, Jan 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Nice looking stuff! Can't wait to see air boxes and plumbing.

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Hmmmm....
    Even at 380 HP we get (x-Rifledriver) swizzle sticks.
    Yeah...
    dump more hp into it. Dump more money in it. Might be able to coax 600hp out of it.
    Yeah...
    Make swizzle sticks...

or maybe just buy a vette and thrash the living *** out of it. No swizzle sticks.

That said however - I have full appreciation for your workmanship!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    A few years ago, didn't one of our valued members from Australian have some special "quill shafts" made out of spring steel, that would twist (in torsion) up to something like 270 degrees and return to their original shape? Seems like that would absorb shock loads and prevent damage...etc...

4. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Lol, mine was 750hp from James Patterson at Norwood at the time. Built motor option was 1000

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Much rather have a 750hp Tr than a Zr1. Been there on both cars. Ferrari holds the cool edge

Zeff and turbo-joe like this.
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    tom hayden, I already got 2 from him ( rebuilt just last year a gearbox for reserve ) but those are not the mainshafts as vincenzo shows in the photo. for my competition I let made those main shafts and also the CP and until now have no problems. still have 1 each in stock

MOSS likes this.
  7. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Yes one cam position sensor, converting the engine to coil on plug ignition so I need a sync pulse. I also blocked the oil which would normally feed the vacuum pump.

8. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    My cousin 3D printed these covers to replace the distributor caps and wires now that the engine is coil near plug. Will post video of it running soon once I figure out how to get it on YouTube.

uzz32soarer and JoeTSI like this.
  9. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Awesome John!

10. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Thx James, We also made little adapters to twist the cover so the text was level. Now we'll make real pieces in Al.

11. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    turbo-joe likes this.
  12. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Correction, not 1000, 100,000

13. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Clean. Where are the turbos?

14. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    For around 80-100k investment you get North of 1000hp. I am currently trying to to do it one more time but it may not happen.
    Love the TR with 750-1000 hp. It is what belongs in such a radical looking car.

15. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Just built a new ECU (GEN4) to run 12 cylinders, when I Dyno'd it before with turbos I used two of our GEN3 ECUs, one per bank. Just wanted to see if it would run on the new box w/o the turbos. Next I'm gonna change the belts and retard the intake cam 6 degrees, the turbos will like that. Then to Newmans to put his billet diff in then I'll put it all into the car. Having the turbo stuff painted now.

Veedub00, MOSS and EZORED like this.
  16. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Good luck with your build. A few of us have done it and its very rewarding. It all looks great.

17. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Finally got cams degree'd, and new belts and water pump seal installed. Highly recommend the Hill Engineering belt tensioners, pieces of art and a 1/2 pound lighter, haha.... Fired the engine up with my new BigStuff3 GEN4 ECU which can handle 12 cylinders now. ECU also uses 2 Bosch LSU4.9 WBO2s for closed loop operation on each bank. In the process in swapping in a Newman diff and new Modena mainshaft and gears. Changed the gear ratios slightly to give a better gear drop ratio for 60-120 mph blasts. Gears are stronger 28 degree and mainshaft is now fine spline. More on this later...

JrBucksco likes this.
  18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I thaught the engine is turbo powered?

19. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Hi Turbo Joe,
    Hope you are well. Yes it is, but the actual plumbing for the car won't fit on the Dyno. In the car plumbing, the turbos are mounted to a chrome moly tube frame that bolts to the gear housing, this would all interfere with the Dyno bell hosing. My primary reason to run the engine on a Dyno cart was to make sure it still ran after I degree'd the cams and changed belts. Once the diff and new gears are put in, it'll all go into the car. I kept the original engine/trans all intact so my plan is to make the new engine/gear housing/trans a separate module to just plug in. The fuel pumps and fans will use solid state relays mounted to the new engine.

turbo-joe likes this.
  20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    don´t move the relays to the engine, too much vibrations, better left or right from the engine

and yes john, I´m fine, until now no covid and in 11 days again going to thailand - if I will have a negative covid test

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Safe travels, the relays are solid state so the vibration won't bother them...

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    fingers crossed

23. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    You are nailing this one John!

24. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Happy New Year John...!!! It's awesome to see all of the top-notch work and fabrication you've put into that flat-twelve. Take Care...be safe...and thank you for sharing!

25. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Enjoy Thailand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo-joe likes this.