1985 Hayashi Racing "Palace" wheels — a couple questions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1985 Hayashi Racing "Palace" wheels — a couple questions

Discussion in '308/328' started by damntall, Apr 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. damntall

damntall Karting

Jun 15, 2018
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wright
    Thanks for this! This is the very website and snippet of history that gave me the clues to start a more exhaustive investigation.

I tracked down Gene Howald himself and had some long email exchanges with him, covering many topics both Hayashi and HRE. Pretty fascinating stuff, and he's quite the guy!

2. damntall

damntall Karting

Jun 15, 2018
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wright
    Are the spokes white on yours? Hard to tell in pics. Maybe you could post a detail shot or two?

3. Ferraritalian

Ferraritalian Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    16x7, 16x8

I don’t really have any close up, good detail pics. The spokes are not white, they are silver/polished.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

miketuason likes this.
  4. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Im not sure how accurate this is, but I hope it’s not just optimistic. I have no idea what to ask for the wheels once I take them off.

damntall likes this.
  5. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    HRE's previous CEO was my next door neighbor. He had some fun interesting stories. He called me out when he saw me rebuilding my BBS's.

damntall likes this.
  6. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    Sorry I missed this. I have the Hayashi but HRE rebuilt them. The parts were identical. Thanks

damntall likes this.
  7. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So, damn tall, I finally got the wheels back off the car. Judging by the stamps and labels inside the wheels, it seems they are 16x8 and 16x9. The cast is Hayashi Racing, made in Japan. There’s other odd marks= a stamped J3, then a cast H.T. With a stamped H next to it. Underneath, an 87 with either an 8 an 8 a 6 or a 7 next to it. Is 87 year? The sticker labels show a date of 21017 and 8x 16 or 9 x 16 I think, plus other stuff.

I will post some pics here:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
  9. damntall

damntall Karting

Jun 15, 2018
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wright
    Yes, I've seen this before. Though the Palace and 505 are not the same thing.

See my several comments above re: Gene Howald, Hayashi, HRE (the company) and the origins of both this wheel and the HRE 505.

10. damntall

damntall Karting

Jun 15, 2018
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wright
    Ferraritalian likes this.
  11. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It was interesting to finally see the inside of the wheels. So the cast “87” is the year? I was thinking these were 7 and 8”...oops, glad the tires I bought fit, lol.

Now I need to figure out a valuation/ asking price. I’m kinda baffled.

12. damntall

damntall Karting

Jun 15, 2018
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wright
    - J3 = casting lot number
    - H.T. - heat treat lot. Hard to tell whether the character next to it is Japanese, but it appears as though it has a second crossmemeber in the photo. Might just be a dirt mark.
    - Year of manufacture is indeed '87
    - Sticker shows offset (-2mm), PCD (pitch circle diameter, which = lug bolt pattern), and month/day of manufacture during the year in the casting. Gene Howald decoded MY sticker date/date casting (which reads "02407) as July 24th, 1987. I am somewhat confused as to what your date numbers mean in this case, BUT I think an educated guess using mine as an example along with Gene's decoding of it, it seems logical that we drop/ignore the first digit, then the next two digits = month, next two digits = day. In your case (assuming this is correct), that would mean your date of manufacture for that wheel is Oct 17th, 1987.
    - 8"x16" fronts, 9"x16" rears

I notice your rears have black bolt heads, while the fronts have chromed bolt heads. Is it possible that each pair came from different sets? Further decoding of all your stickers and castings will tell you for sure.

Valuation for mismatched wheels or an incomplete set will be considerably lower than a matched set.

What will you be replacing them with? I dunno... I may be interested.

Ferraritalian and miketuason like this.
  13. damntall

damntall Karting

Jun 15, 2018
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wright
    #39 damntall, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    [​IMG]
    One other thing Gene mentioned that might help you in valuation:

"Hayashi used their own assembly hardware that was quite unique…their name was embossed in every piece. It costs a lot of money to make the tooling to produce “proprietary” branded hardware, but it was one of the unique elements of every Hayashi wheel… and now today, every HRE wheel.

This protects the company from someone replacing hardware with components of inferior grade. Yes, it does happen…people disassemble the wheel and strip a bolt or nut. So they simply replace it with something that looks similar without ever realizing that the hardware was rated to perform under certain loads and must be “matched” to the wheel specifications."

You might check the the assembly hardware to see if they're embossed. If the assembly hardware has been changed out, their value drops significantly, as they are no longer original, and... as far as I've been able to ascertain... original hardware is not available anywhere any more. I've had conversations with Hayashi themselves in Japan, and with Vessel Tool, who did the actual manufacturing of the wheels in-period... to no avail.

Mine look like this:

Attached Files:

14. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for your input Damn. When I spoke to someone else who had sent their wheels in to HRE, he said they actually replaced the screws when freshening up his wheels. Not sure if they were factory original hardware. I’ll go back out to the garage and look, but at least some of the hardware holding the screws looked fresh enough to me to believe the screws on either the front or the rears were replaced. I’m not sure if the stainless or the black is correct. It’s weird, I hardly noticed it on the car and my buddy who took them off said this was the first time he noticed as well. So, getting screws to match will be easy, but if proprietary hardware is a value thing, then I suppose that will be a hit. I wonder how many people who like these wheels will be too put off if nuts on the back of screws inside a wheel aren’t original. Some I guess.

15. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    In answer to your question I’m replacing them with 16” repro original designs.

16. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Actually, if you look at the back pictures I posted, it appears 2 of the wheels have original fasteners and 2 have replacements. I’ll have to check to see which is which.

17. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Went out and checked, chromed screws on front have correct backs. Black on back are replacement.

18. damntall

damntall Karting

Jun 15, 2018
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wright
    Keep in mind... Your wheels are definitively not HRE wheels.

It is pure coincidence that Hayashi Racing Equipment and HRE share the same initials. The founder of HRE himself has stated to me directly that HRE stands for Howald Racing Enterprises.

Can you clarify what wheels your buddy sent to HRE for a refresh? I don't quite follow your meaning there.

Are you saying he sent a set of Hayashi Racing wheels to HRE, and they were willing / able to refurb them for him? If that's the case, then I'm damn near 100% certain (depending on the year of this event) that if HRE did a refurb on a set of Hayashi wheels, the wheel assembly hardware would be a (correctly-spec'd and HRE-embossed) set of HRE hardware—not Hayashi hardware.

From a strength standpoint, HRE hardware's suitability is unimpeachable, as they have all the data from the wheels themselves (castings and stickers) and could match the bolt and nut specs up perfectly with the wheels.

It looks to me from your photos, as you've said, that one set of two has original Hayashi assembly hardware and the other set does not.

19. damntall

damntall Karting

Jun 15, 2018
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wright
    That's sorta what my guess was... good to know! That's awesome.

Was the work done on the black bolted wheels by a known (to you) reputable source who chose suitable hardware?

20. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The wheels were on the car when I bought it. If someone wanted to make all 4 match I cannot imagine picking up a couple sets of similar screws in polished stainless would be expensive or difficult at all.

21. damntall

damntall Karting

Jun 15, 2018
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wright
    My thoughts:

To buy, not hard, no. To find... a little harder, as you'll need the specs of the original bolts to match them. Just depends what those numbers are. This is not the sort of thing you can just run down to your local Home Depot and grab.

Hopefully, HRE can / will be willing to help with both the finding and the spec'ing. Wheel manufacturers are often quite cagey about providing things like bolt torque specs, as that number is often dependent on the wheel application. I just went through this with a set of Work forged wheels a few weeks ago, and struggled to get a straight answer out of them over a number of specifications. Not saying this will be your experience... but it's something you may have to deal with.

The reason is liability. Incorrectly spec'd OR installed wheel assembly hardware can be quite dangerous, and can shear under load, and if I'm HRE, I don't want that responsibility.

Expensive? I'd say between $120-$240 for a set of 80 pcs (40 per wheel) forged stainless bolts and flange nuts—which is what these wheels came with... enough to redo 2 wheels.

22. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I have to sets of Hayashi Racing/HRE wheels. One set, that I bought the car with, has center caps that say Hayashi Racing but no labels applied to the inside rims as shown in others photos. I have covered the center cap with Ferrari wheel caps. From what I read here then these would not be 505's but "Palace" models.

The other set that I have, I purchased from a fellow FChatter that used them to track his car. I purchased them without the center caps which are unobtainium now. I contacted HRE and they offered to rebuild them for me but I chose to have them rebuilt by WRS in Santa Ana. Not having the center caps, I had a machine shop fabricate some thin radiused trim rings which we press fit and bonded into the small counterbores used to reces the centercaps. Came out pretty nice I think. I made center caps from the bottoms of stainless steel travel cups (Walmart) and applied the Ferrari caps.

I am now curious as to exactly what I have......I used to think that I had two sets of 505's but upon removal and swapping out the the gold wheels for the silver set I noticed some distinct difference in the center hub thickness which affects the offsets on the rear. The gold rear hubs are about 1/2'' thicker than my other silver set.

I will have to examine both sets more closely now and see if I can determine that they are different manufacturer wheel sets.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The silver wheels appear to have no branded hardware holding the screws in place, and the gold wheels have the black screws.

Variations abound.