New to me 458, but no sound | FerrariChat

New to me 458, but no sound

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ChrisCorney, Feb 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChrisCorney

ChrisCorney Rookie

Feb 9, 2020
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris Corney
    #1 ChrisCorney, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2020

Attached Files:

Caeruleus11 and BCHOW like this.
  2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I hate to tell you, but it might just be the tune. Ferrari's are strange cars, my Calf T with a piggyback tune had the same issue, because I forgot to turn the piggyback off before I shut the car down. Unless you have a very good scanner the car is probably going to have to go to a Ferrari dealer (or someone that has the tools and knowledge) to have the fault cleared.

ChrisCorney likes this.
  3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    cograts!

ChrisCorney likes this.
  4. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Nice car!

Since it is dead on all inputs, then it is not simply reception. I would check the fuse, also look at other electrical things on that same fuse circuit to see if they work.

If it is the fuse, you need to check the load on that circuit before replacing the fuse! Fuses usually don;t blow without a reason

Caeruleus11 and ChrisCorney like this.
  5. ChrisCorney

ChrisCorney Rookie

Feb 9, 2020
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris Corney
    Thanks guys! Hope it’s not the tune..

Checked all fuses and they are fine, and the inputs show the audio is working just no sound. Darn. Saw the 488 had a similar issue that was potentially fixed by a dealer software update.

Could be the same I assume?

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    There is a fault code that will cause the sound to disappear (I don't remember the exact code), it is possible that the tune will cause faults. Not what you want to hear I know but it does happen. Sometimes only certain scanners can clear the code. Do you have a dealer nearby?

ChrisCorney likes this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations! Can you get sound from the bluetooth phone? How about the Nav? Can you get chimes from the parking sensors (if you have them). I take it the screens all show things happening but no sound right? I wonder if the amp just died?

8. ChrisCorney

ChrisCorney Rookie

Feb 9, 2020
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris Corney
    Looks like it’s going to Ferrari Scottsdale!

Yep, no sound from any sources including parking sensors. Wonder if those would be controlled by the amp as well?

9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Not the amp, I am 99% sure that you will find that you threw a bunch of codes. Do you have your original factory tune stored, if so flash it back before you take it to the dealer. I never ever tune my cars without having the stock tune stored so I can flash back to stock when needed. Ferrari dealers tend to not be mod friendly unless you have known them a long time.

10. ChrisCorney

ChrisCorney Rookie

Feb 9, 2020
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris Corney
    Nope, not saved as the car came with the tube. My local shop has a “Leonardo” scanner and no codes. Yikes.
    Thanks for the insight all, only thing left is going back to the dealer.

I’m thinking they could in theory have the ECU reprogrammed back to stock?

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Are still able to see everything on the right side (the audio area) ? My car went blank when this happened. My scanners were unable to see the faults as well, they had to use the Ferrari tool to reset the car. I even tried to turn power off and on, but it didn't work. This was not on my 458 so it is possible that things are different in a these cars, but I am hoping for your sake it is just a simple reset.

ChrisCorney likes this.
  12. ChrisCorney

ChrisCorney Rookie

Feb 9, 2020
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris Corney
    Morrie, the display on the right side works just fine! Sounds like your issue was a bit more severe.

was the reset process an expensive one at Ferrari?

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    No, but I live very close to Algar and over the last 25 years have bought and sold them over 20 cars. They did it at no charge.

ChrisCorney likes this.