Pics of vintages I find/see on the net. | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Pics of vintages I find/see on the net.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by amenasce, Oct 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
  2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    custom leather seats?

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #228 miurasv, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Yes. 3527GT was civilised for the road around 1965 by Graber for then owner racer Armand Boller when he retired from racing with leather seats/insulation, door cards, wind up glass windows, door handles and other very minor lighting and body mods. Some of the external body mods were removed a number of years later by a further owner. The interior was refurbished with new leather custom seats and insulation by O'Rourke Trimmers in the UK around 2006 at the time the car was restored by Moto Technique.

4. Jurassik

Jurassik Karting

Apr 15, 2004
    Dnipro, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Samoylik Yuriy
    What kind of car is this?

5. Jurassik

Jurassik Karting

Apr 15, 2004
    Dnipro, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Samoylik Yuriy
  6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Jurassik likes this.
  7. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Could be a Moretti.

Jurassik likes this.
  8. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Sorry I am just catching up on this great thread. Just wanted to tell an Ed Waterman story.

In 1976 I became a customer of Ed when Thorobred Motorcars was in the DC area. My dad offered me his 330 GTS since I was the first of his 3 kids to actually graduate from college. With an engineering degree just like my dad. I turned him down on the offer. I knew I couldn’t keep it as perfect as he did and it would have been my only car. Instead we agreed that a GTC would make more sense.

Off we went to see John Levy’s store followed by visiting Ed’s place. Thorobred Motorcars was in the underground garage of an office building in Arlington VA. Ed had a number of 275s and 330s under the fluorescent lights to choose from. But 275s cost more than my Dad allowed. Ed recommended a GTC and said it was his favorite having toured Europe with his girlfriend before importing it to his store.

We made the deal for $10k and I drove away with my buddy back to home in Wilmington DE. After stopping for petrol the ignition switch failed. I climbed under the dash and hot wired so we could make it home. For years I heard with Ed it’s somewhat of a crapshoot on what you might bring home. Course now in modern times you don’t do the naive things we did then.

That GTC was a great car. I put 100,000 miles on it and drove it everywhere in all conditions.

sorry for the distraction but when I see Ed’s name in a thread it brings me back to my younger years.

kenwidmerpool, F40org, otose and 7 others like this.
  9. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I have a vintage picture to add to this thread. And I could use some help from the experts here. This picture was taken in the 30s in front of the Pure Oil Company gas station that my grandfather Domenic Cantera built. He is the man standing on the right with his hands together. I think this was his first construction project under the Cantera Construction Company name. The picture was shot in Wilmington DE. That's the DuPont company headquarters building in the background.

What makes this picture extra special is that it's one of the best pics I have of my grandfather. He died when I was only 8 years old. What is also unique about this photo is that 60 years later I developed an 18 story Bank of Delaware headquarters office building on the same site where this gas station was once located.

Any experts out there that can tell me what the race car is in this picture? I never did find out. Any help would be appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Marmon ? Mercer ?

11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Thank you for the lead.

I did a quick search of images for both Marmon and Mercer. I have yet to find the match but I will keep looking. The extended chassis and front suspension is pretty unique as is the angled upper radiator sides. Looking at some of the images available I would place this car as a late 20s or very early 30s. Later 30s cars of both changed significantly from this model.

12. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Doesn't look like any Marmon or Mercer I'm familiar with. I would think the folks on the H.A.M.B. website should be able to solve this pretty quickly.

13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Thanks. I will check it out.

readplays likes this.
  14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  15. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    colombo2cam, SCantera and AtSomePoint like this.
  16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    0196 A and 0030 MT.
    Germany 2009.

Marcel Massini

amenasce likes this.
  17. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
    Not Germany....

18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  19. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    Has there ever been a Ferrari with a recessed space to exactly fit an American license plate?

20. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  22. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
  23. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #250 Marcel Massini, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Yes, But not the original colors.
    Restoration took almost nine years. Done by Paul Russell and Company in Essex, MA/USA.
    Shown post restoration for the first time on 25 January 2020 at the Cavallino Concours in Palm Beach. Here it is at Mar-a-Lago, on Sunday after the Cavallino show.
    1285 SA used to be white.

Marcel Massini