Light weight flywheel and clutch assembly | FerrariChat

Light weight flywheel and clutch assembly

Discussion in '348/355' started by ceraldesign, Sep 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ceraldesign

ceraldesign Rookie

Oct 28, 2006
    Has anyone installed a light weight flywheel and clutch assembly in their 348, I plan to track the car .
    Thanks

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I have one in my 355, feels great spins much faster

I will be putting one in my 348 next service. Let us know what way you go :)

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes what do you want to know? I Raced 348 decades ago.

4. hydra.

hydra. Rookie

May 24, 2015
    Lebanon
    Full Name:
    Omar
    Does a lightweight (e.g. single mass) flywheel not endanger the driveshaft/clutch shaft, especially when used with an unsprung clutch? Would have liked to go with one, but decided against it in the end...

5. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I can tell you that if it too light, driving on the street is a *****. Starting up from 1st is not that fun. Once the car is moving, it's pretty nice though.

6. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I do not know what you are asking but I can guess. I raced twin disk I customized and balanced myself. I gutted and welded it so there were no springs or plastic parts or the spider metal thing in the flywheel housing. I saved about 8-13lbs....I can't remember but i wrote a thread on it here way way back. Then I had a clutch plate made without it's marcel spring too. So in essence I maximized the NVH and never had a shaft break. There are very very few reported input shafts breaking like 2 since all the time I'm here on Fchat since the beginning of Fchat and those broken shafts were never diagnosed as to cause. Then there are the armies of 348's which at one point or multiple points in their life ran the grease out of the flywheel pack to the point the cars had hard start or no start conditions due to vibration making the TDC sensors loose their minds. Therefore...I can only conclude that the grease springs etc. of the voight dampened flywheel is for NVH reduction and not to prevent input shaft threatening harmonics which would cause shaft fracture.

7. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Surprised Plugzit didn't chime in. He had this on the tree car and I remember that when I tried to drive it up my steep driveway, it wasn't too happy about it.

8. Mister Spanks

Mister Spanks Rookie

Mar 25, 2015
    Monaco
    Do you have any videos of you revving your F355? I'm thinking about putting one in my F355.

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

You asked for it Monaco :)

10. Mister Spanks

Mister Spanks Rookie

Mar 25, 2015
    Monaco
    oh man thanks!

SoCal1 likes this.
  11. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Who makes lightweight flywheel for 355? I seen so many threads about this but not one mentions the companies that sell them

12. cactussed

cactussed Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    As it happens, I have a single mass lightweight flywheel and brand new sprung friction plate from mad dog clutches sitting in a box in the garage somewhere. Unlikely to ever get used (currently dealing with other car issues and 2 kids).

Happy to try and dig them out if anyone is interested in purchasing and actually using them? nfi how much postage would be.

13. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    I was trying to find more info about this company but cant seem to locate. Are they still in business? Will yours fit an f1?

14. cactussed

cactussed Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    I have nfi about F1 but my understanding is that the clutch and flywheel assembly is the same between the 2 cars? (Happy to corrected if wrong).
    The only difference should be at the gear linkage end, not the clutch end.
    On Mad Dog, in a nutshell, one of the 2 partners (they were both retired) passed away and the surviving partner closed the business after that (as I understand things).

15. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I have been trying to find info on running a setup that gets rid of the grease, this is the first time I have seen that anyone has actually done it. I personally dont have an interest in a racing clutch setup but to get rid of more failure points is ideal. I feel like there is a great opportunity to come up with a flywheel design that simply doesnt use it. Works fine in every other application, why not this one.

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I really think the reason for the dual mass 348 flywheel is smooth vibration free function. For me personally, I did not notice any NVH issue with my creation. But I am a racer and I also seem to be immune to the "drone" that people hate in the Tubi exhaust on the 550 maranello. To me it sounds just fine. I think there is a pretty large range of tolerance to all kinds of thinks like home much A/C you need or when music is too loud etc. I think the factory chose an NVH target and the dual mass flywheel got them there. If you delete the dual mass NVH will increase. Will you be bothered by it? maybe...

17. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Let me know if you decide to sell them. I will do some research on whether they would work on the f1. I believe you're right the flywheel definitely should work since it's the same part number for both f1 and manual.

18. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    I had a discussion with a Ferrari mechanic who told me that the reason of the clutchshaft sprocket wear was due to used flywheel grease and then no more dampening.
    Don't know to what extend this is true, maybe in particular for the first version of the clutchshaft sprocket also..?

19. cactussed

cactussed Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    I dug out my receipts and the cost for the flywheel and sprung clutch plate was around £1100 ish.
    Happy to send them on for £1k plus postage to wherever they need to go.

20. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Is this a billet lightweight flywheel? If you don't mind can you post some pics?

Thanks

21. cactussed

cactussed Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    I'm away for half term with the kids so it'll have to wait until I get back however I believe it is billet yes (ie its definitely machined out of a single piece - I think that's what billet means).

22. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

23. cactussed

cactussed Karting

Mar 12, 2008
  24. marcov

marcov Karting

Dec 8, 2007
    Ottawa Canada
    Full Name:
    Marco V
    Has anyone ever observed clutch shaft sprocket wear (spline to shaft wear) due to a flywheel needing re-grease or a lightweight flywheel?

25. cactussed

cactussed Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    No? The flywheel grease is all internal. There shouldn't be any on the shaft, unless its leaking past the triple seals?