360 - HEADERS: BLANKETS OR NO? | FerrariChat

360 HEADERS: BLANKETS OR NO?

Discussion in '360/430' started by KC360 FL, Feb 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Looking for the pros input (Trev?) on this one. I have always run the headers on my 911's uncovered, no blankets, no Inconel, just exposed. My 911's were all air cooled (and tracked) and of course had the propensity to run hotter than a water cooled engine but always run just as cool (or hot, however you want to look at it) with the uncovered headers.

So with the rather open air, relatively roomy engine bay of the 360 would it not be a good idea to allow the headers to be cooled via the surrounding passing air? Does the blanketing or Inconel hold the heat from cooking up the engine compartment at the expense of engine and header cooling?

What do the experts here think?

2. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Header wrap and coating, otherwise you run the risk of melting the sleeve in your parking brake cables which run extremely close to the headers/exhaust.

3. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I think it's best to consider the worst case scenario, such as sitting in traffic on a hot summer day when there would be no air flow. Ceramic coat them inside and out and use header blankets, or wrap them. Don't risk melting surrounding wiring looms, plastic, or hoses, which could lead to fire.

one4torque likes this.
  4. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Why not wrap the nearby looms, plastic, hoses, cables with insulated wiring loom and leave the headers alone?

5. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    It's better to trap the heat through the exhaust rather than insulating ancillary wires, etc.

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Why?

It would be interesting to hear Trev's response. My opinion: protect the wires & cables OR get insulated inconel covers made. The added engine bay heat may cause accelerated wear on rubber parts but not enough to really care. You DO have to keep stuff from getting damages and there are known parts that are impacted. Now on theory: The open headers will cause the exhaust gas to cool more than with insulation. Cooler gas shrinks and becomes more viscous so your exhaust gas will likely flow slower (all basic physics theory). Will it be sufficient to make a difference? I seriously doubt you could notice the difference. Another point, higher engine bay temp could theoretically preheat the intake air some; again unlikely to make enough difference to notice.

7. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Jet Hot Ultra Extreme Coating

8. BAD430BENZ

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    After a spirited driving experience , I could actually put my hand on the exhaust .

9. BAD430BENZ

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    No pro here but do have plenty of experience in high horsepower cars :D

10. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    This. I had mine coated in the same and then wrapped it, my high flow cats and part of my Tubi exhaust in header wrap as well and it brought engine bay temps down incredibly over the stock manifolds.

11. BAD430BENZ

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Extreme coated and wrapped . Those things should be cold to the touch :D

JoeTSI likes this.
  12. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    I had read a number of threads on melted parking brake cables, so it may have been overkill but it gave me peace of mind. :)

13. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Before I remover the stock headers with cats and rear cats after, driving I would have to open rear hatch and take a fan blow in engine bay. Now Fabspeed headers and test pipes and Challenge racing exhaust I notice more heat from driving Toyota Camry than I do My 360. Those stinker cats hold so much heat IMHO.

14. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  15. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Have thought about header blankets just keep hearing bad things about them. Maybe have them ceramic coated or jet coating still doing research

16. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've got blankets. No problems for me.

17. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    I have a had few people that bought and pm me asking if wanted to them. Hey Randy,

I bought a set of Fabspeed blankets for a 360 but ended up just getting them ceramic coated by Swaintech instead.

KC360 FL likes this.