2017 488 Milage inconsistency | FerrariChat

2017 488 Milage inconsistency

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jesse Brown, Feb 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jesse Brown

Jesse Brown Rookie

Feb 14, 2020
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Jesse Brown
    Hey guys I’m in the market to buy my first Ferrari, I’m currently looking to buy a 2017 488 Spyder but when I looked at the car fax there was a fairly decent sized milage inconsistency. The dealer told me it’s impossible to adjust the speedos on these cars and that it must have been a mistake on the km entered. I’m just curious if anyone has ever run into something like this or if what the dealer told me is true and it is a wrong entry. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Personally, I would not buy a car with such a problem. Carfax has a way to correct these problems, and it would be in the selling dealer and owner's interest to correct the issue if that is all there is. You don't want to have to explain when it is your turn to sell the car. I guarantee the dealer that takes it on trade will demand a significant discount from you ;)

3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    You have been lied to. It is up to you to decide if it was on purpose or not.

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Yes you have been lied to. There was a recent issue with some modern ferraris in CA and mileage rollbacks IIRC. Either way, what is the discrepancy? Often times this does come down to lazy or inept DMV people inputting or transposing a digit or mistaking miles for KM's. Sadly that then becomes some buyers issue down the road. If you want this particular car you can look into getting it corrected on the carfax or if the timeline and change from KM to miles can be deduced or seams reasonable to explain down the road then overall not a huge issue. But just envision yourself down the road looking to sell this car and having to explain the same info you yourself are questioning now. In the ultra sensitive and nit picky world of ferrari resale you just have to decide if you are ready to deal with this issue later.

Again, curious to see the number issue and timeline from carfax

5. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    You have been lied to about the speedometers not being able to be adjusted.

However, the mileage issue may have been caused by something as simple as a clerical issue done when the car was titled. If it was a clerical issue it should be able to be resolved. Is the 488 Spider for sale at an authorized Ferrari dealership? Send me the last 6 of the VIN and then I will see if I can find out anything for you. I work for an authorized dealer by the way.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Photo appears to be at FMoV, in Vancouver, BC Canada