488 pista vs F8 tributo | Page 4 | FerrariChat

488 pista vs F8 tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by speed77, Feb 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    stock exhaust, so will be interesting to compare sound when I receive the 812 GTS later this year or early 2021 which will have GPF unlike the 812.

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Interesting. Yours definitely sounds better than the one I heard the other day. From what the head tech up here said the 812 GTS still sounds good even with the GPF although I suspect not quite as good as the 812 without GPF. Who knows. Maybe they will pipe some sound on the inside as well to make up for it.

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #78 REALZEUS, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    According to the stopwatch, the 812 is slightly quicker, but they are very close. http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel6632-7882.htm

Well, that's a first...

Actually that's how the 812 sounds. Perhaps the one you heard wasn't being pushed that hard, or had a problem.

Napoli, Thecadster and Pis7a2020 like this.
  4. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Napoli likes this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Mine too. Full symphony. Shadow tested a lemon. That’s the only explanation.

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Didn't test an 812 - was an owners car. Can't say if it was a lemon or not - just didn't sound all that special to me and the dude was clearly giving it the beans. Certainly didn't sound as nearly good as carlom001's. And I wasn't the only one that commented that the F8 looked like it was pulling a bit faster up the straight. Maybe the 812 was all choked up from being babied all its life - who knows - who cares.....not my problem.

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    1. No one had a stopwatch on the pair - just appeared F8 was a tad quicker.
    2. Meaning?
    3. Can't say. Was the first time I've heard one flat out up the straight - and didn't sound like it had any engine problem. It was what it was. I must admit I was expecting it to sound better given all the fuss.

Anyway back to topic..

8. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I think even GT3 RS owners would probably cede victory to the 812 in the sound category. Not sure it would be even nominally controversial.

IloveGT and Napoli like this.
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    As a 3rs owner I wouldn't cede victory after hearing the one I heard which is why I made my original comment. That said I thought carloms sounded very good though and would agree with his thinking that they both have their own DNA to make their own sound. Anyway you guys have me intrigued now so I look forward to my next opportunity to hear an 812. Maybe that one had some potatoes stuffed up the tailpipes or something. Anyway I'm not going to labor the point any further other than to say i know what I heard and it wasn't anywhere near as good as I expected it to sound.

10. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    There’s been several 812 related threads on the main Porsche forum (blanklist) and I was actually shocked by how decisively even they preferred the 812 to the GT variants. I actually had to tip my hat to them for being so utterly fair-minded. I urge you to personally give the 812 a thorough and proper thrashing, preferably not the aforementioned tester. Plenty of criticism can be heaped on the 812 (looks, depreciation, weight, cost, etc) and all would be understandable other than sound.

Boomhauer likes this.
  11. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    My 3RS was the best sounding car in the collection until the 812 arrived. It’s not even close to be honest. Even my .2 3RS which sounds better than the .1 doesn’t compare. Not to mention the RS’s gear shifts are much more clinical than the 812’s, but I get it - speed and efficiency are the 3RS’s first priority but it makes for a less emotional experience on public roads. In the 812, I upshift even when I don’t need to just to enjoy a few extra downshift noises. I recall one of the YouTubers described it like playing a musical instrument.

I’m also probably one of the few who thinks redline is not the RS’s sweet spot for sound. The change in harmonics as the revs sweep from 4K through 7k rpm are more pleasing to my ears. At 9k, it sounds like the engine is about to grenade. Neat, but not a ‘nice’ sound.

As for acceleration, I’d challenge anyone to mash an 812 in second gear and say it needs more.

Napoli, gzachary and Thecadster like this.
  12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That's why I hate judging by coincidental incidents. One cannot know how hard the driver was pushing, his/hers competence level, the state of the car, etc. Professionals testing cars with precision instruments is much preferable.

Meaning that this was the 1st instance I heard someone preferring any other engine note over a Ferrari V12.

Well, the fuss is because it sounds like the car on the clip that carlom001 posted. I am just speculating now, but the fact that the sound didn't impress you, combined with the fact that it didn't accelerate as hard (or harder for that matter) than the F8, leads me to believe that the driver was short-shifting.

Napoli likes this.
  13. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    It was hard enough to live through the 458 vs. 488 sound threads over the years. The sound comparison between the turbo GPF choked 3.9l V8 in the F8 vs. unrestricted 6.5l NA V12 is not debatable whatsoever.

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #90 Shadowfax, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Thanks. Appreciate your impressions as an owner. I would agree with your findings with .23rs although I personally quite like the sound when it hits 9000, not that it is necessary. I also agree it sounds equally incredible at rpms below that - between 3500 and @8000 with the changing in harmonics. You now have me completely intrigued with 812 therefore I will seek to take further time to investigate. If it's better than a 3rs then, I'm all ears open! Again, agree, carloms vid does sound awesome indeed if that's anything to go by!

Zeus, please, stop, enough already! When you have driven F8 and Pista properly then by all means let's hear from you.

I don't believe anyone is debating or looking to debate the sound against these 2?

I made a fleeting comment that the actual volumes (decibel) of the two when going past at full noise was relatively similar and was not inferring in any way the F8 sounded better or, was more harmonious than the 812. The point being made was that the mufflers were attenuating the sound relatively equal in that sense. Anyway...moving on.....

I own a few Porsches but I dont have the time to waste on Rennlost. I also truly could not imagine anyone with any form of cred believing whatever is said there, least of all involving themselves on a regular basis. The level of masturbating and BS at Rennlost is completely off the Richter scale.

speed77 and tekaefixe like this.
  16. GOODYES

GOODYES Karting

Oct 7, 2017
    Barcelona, Spain (España)
    Full Name:
    Alejandro
    any update on this Im considering a Pista more than a F8 cause it looks better for me, but not sure about pricing, I know the price of F8 but not the pista as of now.. Pista for me looks more glod, the rear matrix lights bihger wing, front side. I dont like yhe f8 imitation of aventador s shark bottom front bumper, as well as I prefer the bigger and origonal s duct conduct than the smallest on f8.

Sounds Inprefer pista as well. Interior are the same

17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Sounds like you do not like the F8. If you have driven a Bentley and enjoy that type of ride, you will love the F8. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

IloveGT and Jo Sta7 like this.
  18. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    looks like Pista will be about 100k more than F8. Both great cars and very similar looking. Pista more raw but comes at a premium price.

Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.
  19. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    weird. My v12 FF sounds so much better than all my GT3s. Can't imagine how a 812 will sound worse than a RS.

Boomhauer likes this.
  20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    No GPF on the FF which makes a difference.

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I cant answer for it as its not my car and I only heard it up the main straight and when it went past at what appeared to be full noise I truly expected a lot better tbh. I've since heard a bud of mines 812 pushing it and it sounds amazing so I have no answer for that car but I know what I heard that day and it was nowhere near as good as the the recent vids I've heard. Anyway...
    And re the .23rs, mine with the JCR sounds like a race car so I keep getting told - not that I need to as from inside it's definitely doing the job.

22. Marco Calzini

Marco Calzini Rookie

Feb 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco Calzini
    I know everyone has there own opinion, but here is the truth. I have owned many Ferrari's including 458 Spider with a Capristo exhaust and then 488 Spider and currently a Pista coupe.
    Now fact, the 458 with an aftermarket exhaust in Spider form sounds amazing and is such a fun car to drive, it put a smile on my face every time I drove it. I loved it. Then I bought the 488 Spider, one of the highest specced Spiders you can get. Now here's a thing, these people who say a 458 is better than 488 are idiots and probably have not owned both. The 488 is better in every single way apart from the sound and it does sound good also just not as good as the 458.
    I would never have gone back to a 458, or 458 Speciale. No regrets there. The Pista Is on a completely different level to all of them, again in every way. I have driven the F8 on track and in the mountains and can say that it is very similar to the 488. Slightly quicker, excellent breaks but a mild upgrade from 488, hence the reason why I decided to get rid of my allocation and 25k deposit back.
    The Pista is my dream car and I call it the beast, the front from the side reminds me of the 288GTO my favorite Ferrari. I absolutely adore it and can say it is one of the best looking Ferrari ever, and will be with me for a few years to come.

23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hell of a first post.

Bundy, mkraft3003 and Thecadster like this.
  24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I always love first posts. It’s endlessly fascinating to see what finally gets someone off the sideline and into the game.

Bundy and Jo Sta7 like this.
  25. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    With a name like Marco Calzini...

Thecadster likes this.