My New 2014 458 Spider: Strange Noise | FerrariChat

My New 2014 458 Spider: Strange Noise

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by cab2u, Feb 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    I picked up my 2014 458 Spider yesterday (Rosso Scuderia/Black, lots of carbon) from Ferrari of Long Island after having my 2011 California (also Rosso Scuderia) for 3 years. Its my 3rd car from them (Kevin King and Calvin Brown). It took a while to find the right car. They and their service department have always been great.
    I absolutely loved my Cali and I do not have a bad thing to say about it. But the 458 is a completely different car. I am looking forward to the spring.
    The only issue is this. When backing up, or pulling forward, with the wheels turned all the way, there is a loud banging/clicking sound, several of them, with the car feeling that it is skipping. I know that the dealer will take care of this, but I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

soulsea likes this.
  2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    The skipping feeling is a product of the aggressive alignment. It happens when 'in spec'. Any banging and clanking should definitely be checked.

3. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    The only time I’ve heard clicking from the front wheels on other cars is when the lug nuts are overtorqued.

I’ve actually not experienced tire shudder on my 458 but that can be exasperated in cold weather, cold tire conditions, tire brand/compound can also matter.

Def take it in tho ... she’s too pretty to make funny noises. :)

IloveGT likes this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You could try and a bit of simple checks yourself.

Get a jack under the car and start by making sure all four wheels are properly torqued without load on them. When you have each wheel lifted, try rotating it. Do this with the fronts straight and turned fully in each direction. That will give your shop a better understanding of what you experience and they can rule out things more quickly

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    It was definitely cold. Unfortunately I don't have a torque wrench nor the equipment to properly jack up the car. I am sure the dealer will take care of it. I appreciate all of the input.

6. MikeS

MikeS Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mike S
    Sounds pretty normal to me on first review. It was cold up here yesterday. Chassis is stiff, tires hard and the alignment. Had a 458 and Speciale that reacted in a similar fashion. My Porsche’s do the same. Consider cranking the wheel less aggressively in the cold. Sure have it checked. FoLI knows their stuff.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    At first I didn't believe it also. But the overtorque of the nut definitely could make the noise you described as it was fixed on my Lotus before. I thought the guy was just brushing me off. The noise was all gone now.

But definitely have the dealer see what is going on, and let us know.

8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It is normal. It's called the Ackermann affect:
    (from Google)
    "What is the Ackerman effect?
    Explaining the Ackermann Effect: Without getting into too much geometry and mathematics, the Ackermann Effect is a skipping or lurching of the wheels when the vehicle is turning sharply. The effect is created by the inside and outside wheels traveling at different speeds and distances.Nov 18, 2013"

Most of my sports cars did this. It's exaggerated in the cold (because the summer tire compound hardens), and also exaggerated if the tires are getting old because they harden / dry rot. Some brands do this worse than others. Pirellis tend to hop violently as they age and when it's cold out. My Michelin Super Sports that came on this car were doing it slightly when cold, but I replaced them last summer with the Michelin PS4S, and this winter they were pretty silent. There may have been very slight jumping, but only in the coldest weather.

tfazio and Ash Patel like this.