360 - Overheating Issue - Heat Exchanger or something else? | FerrariChat

360 Overheating Issue - Heat Exchanger or something else?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Adomowitz360, Feb 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    I just took delivery of a 2001 360. It just had a service done including timing belt and coolant change by the seller and I drove the car for several hours without issue prior to shipping it out to my state. The truck driver who loaded the car for transport told me it got hot when loading on the truck. Upon delivery it also got hot. I let it cool, then checked the coolant and found it very low along with the picture showing contaminants in the coolant overflow tank.

From reading other threads it looks like it could be the heat exchanger, but I’m definitely a novice to this car and would welcome other suggestions. I checked the F1 fluid and didn’t see any signs of cross contamination. Any other things you’d recommend checking?

I plan to call my mechanic and take it in first thing tomorrow, but am trying to see if I need to tow it or can add some antifreeze and drive it the five miles. Image Unavailable, Please Login Is driving it a terrible idea at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Don’t drive it. While the heat exchanger could be the issue, the recent coolant change suggests it’s more likely associated with the change. For example, not bleeding the system properly, or leaving a fitting loose. The engine and heads are aluminum, so are sensitive to overheating. Your topping up with coolant won’t solve the problem if there is trapped air. Flatbed it and have it checked out. Sorry to spoil your new ownership experience, but driving it is not a chance I would take.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Wow! down right brown looking in there for new coolant. You can send a sample of the coolant to blackstone and they will tell you if oil is in it, If yes then you got more parts to replace. If you drove the car fine for several hours how can a car just get hot from putting it on the car hauler unless it was immediately just after your drive?

4. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    Thanks for the guidance.

Is there another reason I’d see that residue in the picture other than a heat exchanger? The car has 35K miles which seems like a common mileage point from other posts for that part to fail. Given the grime in the tank, should I plan to replace it proactively regardless of root cause or is there another explanation for that and I’m wasting money fixing something that isn’t broken....

5. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Add coolant and see if oil is floating in the coolant. Those droplets look like oil but maybe not?

6. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    The guys that have experienced an exchanger failure will know what to look for and will respond as soon as they log in.

7. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    It sat for about two weeks at the sellers garage after I drove it, other than a quick trip for a final repair. It was driven a few miles to an independent shop by the seller to replace an airbag ECU after the part came in and then back the same day where it continued waiting for transport. The seller is a former co-worker who I’ve known for awhile and don’t have reason to believe he did anything else. Plus the mileage looks correct for just a trip from his place to the mechanic and back.

When the truck arrived for pickup, they first moved other cars on the transport off so my car could remain in place for the entire trip. While moving the other vehicles it idled for about 30 minutes, which is the first time it showed signs of a problem.

8. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    I should also add that I did check the F1 fluid and it is a light reddish color, didn’t see any signs of debris and it is filled to the correct level. I extracted a bit out and didn’t see any evidence antifreeze was in it.

The antifreeze currently in the car is green, I assume that the transaxle fluid is supposed to be a light reddish / pink color, but don’t know for certain.

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I have a stick, not F1, but what you need to check for cross contamination is not the F1 fluid that operates the shifting hydraulics, but the transaxle fluid.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  10. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    Thank you for that clarification!

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Don't drive it and don't add coolant. The only thing at this point that should be done is to check the oil in the transaxle. Tow it to an experienced Ferrari mechanic. Any other fooling around may cost you a transaxle and that is a $20 some odd thousand mistake.

12. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    Thanks - planning to have it towed first thing tomorrow.

13. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The F1 system is completely separate from the gearbox. You almost certainly have a gearbox full of coolant and that is no joke. It is a huge mess getting that all cleaned out. Hopefully the gearbox survives.

14. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    It sounds like you may have a heat exchanger failure. I just went through this exact issue on my 01’ 360. You will not find traces of coolant in the F1 fluid tank. The coolant traces will be found when you drain the gearbox oil. Those brown oil looking deposits in the coolant tank are similar to what mine had. If you catch it soon enough, you can probably get away with flushing the coolant system and gearbox just a few times each after replacing the heat exchanger. In my case I flushed the gearbox 10 times and the coolant system between 17-20 times before all contaminants were gone. I did the entire heat exchanger replacement and flushing process myself and would be happy to offer advice. This is also a good time to do intake gaskets while the manifold is off to access the heat exchanger. Best of luck to you, Aeron.

UrbanHero, RANDY6005 and Need4Spd like this.
  15. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Humm. So empty coolant tank with residue is tell tale enough and no need to make the oil blobs "float". Guess the hot coolant forced itself down into the gearbox through holes in the heat exchanger? My 2002 coolant tank is still clear but it looks like it is just a matter of time before the heat exchanger goes? I have changed my coolant every other year since 2012 but is the time bomb still ticking? Is replacing the heat exchanger a good idea to get ahead of the potential problem?

16. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    Thanks for the offer of advice Aeron. Unfortunately this is beyond my skill level. There’s an independent shop close by and I plan to be there when he opens tomorrow to see if he can get it in ASAP. Freaking out a bit about the possibility of a transaxle replacement so hopefully he has the availability as I want to get that gearbox drained ASAP if there is coolant sitting in it.

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Coolant is under pressure, so yes, it forces its way into the transaxle if the heat exchanger is compromised.
    As for doing it ahead of an actual problem, advice is all over the place. If you annually change your fluids, you will most likely catch a problem before there is much if any damage. Annually renewing coolant also ensures your corrosion inhibitors are always good. The cause of failure is most likely due to corrosion. But there have been failures without corrosion.
    After a few buddies’ 360s suffered heat exchanger failures, I swapped mine, only to find after it was out of the car that my annual fluid changes looked like it kept my exchanger in good condition. Oh well.

18. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    If you've only owned the car for 5 hours, there's a pretty good chance the problem existed before you got it and you've been screwed. Hopefully the previous owner didn't let this go for too long.
    Where are you located?

jcurry and mike01606 like this.
  19. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    Fortunately, on my car the transaxle wasn’t damaged at all. Make sure your mechanic pulls the metal screen filter in the bottom rear of the transaxle. If that screen is free of metal shavings, you are probably in good shape. On mine it was a much longer process to clean up the cooling system than the gearbox. I pulled my radiators and flushed the system with distilled water multiple time before putting everything back together. Once it was back together I would drive it for about 10 miles at a time, then flush it again. In the case of the transaxle, I flushed it on the same 10 mile intervals. Send me a PM for my phone number if you would like any more detailed information.

20. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    I’ve owned the car for almost two months and drove it right before I started the shipping process. I just took delivery in my hometown, outside of Chicago, this weekend. Also I’ve known the seller for years and he’s a good guy who wasn’t broadly advertising the car, it’s just bad timing.

21. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    It definitely sounds like a heat exchanger. Unfortunately it isn't exactly a rare issue. If you check the dipstick on the transaxle I would imagine it would be quite overfilled with sludge. It is a migraine to clean.

22. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yep, stuff happens. That is why some ar reluctant to allow test drives until things are pretty far along. Anyway, it can be cleaned up and it sill work out well. Fix it, drive it, have fun. :)

23. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Good idea start flushing gear box with automatic transition fluid and run threw the gears from the lift drain it and keep flushing and looks clean. Put new gear oil drive 100 miles or so drain gear oil again replace new again. I put 50 miles and drain gear oil for second time just starting to look clean. Filled again ATF again now letting it set for a while drain and replace new gear oil sounds like allot. better safe than sorry IMHO

UrbanHero likes this.
  24. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
  25. UrbanHero

UrbanHero Rookie

Apr 18, 2019
    New York Pothole City
    Full Name:
    M
    Also tell your mechanic to go through the engine bay to replace the exchanger, might save some time and money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Mimmo Blue likes this.