348 - How to reset clock and instrument lights out | FerrariChat

348 How to reset clock and instrument lights out

Discussion in '348/355' started by Richard R Gallagher, Feb 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Richard R Gallagher

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard R Gallagher
    Greetings,

How to set flashing clock?
    I have a 1990 348 GTS. Recent engine out service. I can't get the clock to set. I just keeps flashing. Pressing the A and B buttons doesn't seem to have an effect. Is there a reset button? if so, where?

How to get instrument lights to operate?

I can't get the panel or tunnel instruments light to turn on. Any thoughts?

Submitted by a perplexed and frustrated naïve.

2. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    You need to press the A and B buttons on the clock using a pointy object like a jeweler's screwdriver or similar. Using just your fingertips isn't sufficient.

As for the instruments lights, turn the small knob/wheel protruding from the tachometer. If that doesn't work, then it could be a fuse (or a hundred other reasons).

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #3 Qavion, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    +1

As Asgor suggests, the problem could be a dimmer potentiometer. They develop dead spots. Try rotating it to a different position. I believe they are no longer available new and horribly expensive on the second hand market. Ferrari part number 134406

Is your "parking lights on" indicator [P] working in the instrument binnacle? If it is working, then it's not a fuse problem. If is not working, then it could be fuse #10 in the passenger footwell.

If your parking lights (themselves) are also not working, then we are talking about relays and other things. The instrument lighting system is like daisy chain going from one instrument to another on yellow-red wires. Let me know if you need a wiring diagram.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    A photo of your 1990 348 GTS would help.

6. Richard R Gallagher

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard R Gallagher

7. Richard R Gallagher

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard R Gallagher
    Thank you so much for your insight. It took me a while to understand that a small tool needed to be placed in the A and B holes in the center of the "buttons" to set the clock. It sure works great now.

As for the instrument panel lights, I used a circuit reader to test the fuses. It turns out that a fuse in the panel located behind the passenger foot area was the cause. That and I had to adjust the rheostat to adjust the panel light intensity that is located and sticking out from the tachometer.

Thanks to everyone for great advise and suggestions. Brilliant insight. I am a better person for doing the stuff myself.

Thank you,

Rich

steved033 and Qavion like this.