F430 Console Switch Removal | FerrariChat

F430 Console Switch Removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 1949live, Feb 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi all - have a recently acquired F430 F1 Spider which still has the stickies so i need to remove the switches to send out for refurbishment. I have reviewed the available vidoes and searched the shop manual on how to remove the console switches, but the arrangement i have seems to not be described anywhere. Pictures are attached, but in short the console is standard leather covered on the sides and over the top edge, but then instead of the leather top it has a single slab of carbon fiber. The problem is that the mirror switches and the two buttons next to it are embedded in this carbon fiber slab and not in a removable panel as seems is standard. Hence i have to remove the entire carbon panel to get to the switch bottoms for removal.

It appears that the rear of the carbon panel is held in by the ash tray screw, which i removed. I also removed the F1 control panel which has the usual four hex bolts. But the front of the carbon panel is still held down. The little storage compartment next to the F1 panel is normally open on the bottom so one can pop out the leather pad in the bottom and have access below the top panel. However, this carbon panel has a solid "tub" with a bottom into which the leather is placed. I looked under this "tub" with a lighted mirror and i can see that there are two stud like protrusions from the front and back of the "tub" that go into what appear to be the type of clips that one would find on door sheetmetal into which the door card would attach with a push in. However, as much as i tugged, being concerned of breaking the carbon panel, it won't budge.

Has anyone seen this configuration and have any recommendations as to how to remove the carbon panel?

Last question: How does one remove the switches on the rear of the console, as well as to the left of the steering wheel? Again i seem to find no information in the shop manual.

Thanks much!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Aeroman

Aeroman Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    DFW Texas
    I can get you most of the way there on the console. The little leather pads in the bottom of the pockets need to be removed to access the screws beneath them. The pads are just held in place with sticky that looks like black chewing gum. Use something plastic to pry them up. Any good stereo store or Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/KINGLAKE-Panel-Removal-Radio-Installer/dp/B00HNMLQAG/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=plastic+stereo+installation+tool&qid=1581900570&sr=8-2) has these tools. You may be able to lift the console enough to remove the switches without having to completely remove it. The mirror control switch can be removed from below using a small screwdriver to pry the metal clip that attaches it to the console.

I have no idea about the switches to the left of the steering wheel.

I hope this helps.

Phil

3. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for this. The referenced thread confuses the issues I raised. The picture is of the same slab carbon like i have, but then goes on to show the removable panel which is not in this configuration. I will try Aeroman's good suggestion tomorrow and see if I can pop out the leather pad and see if there are screws below - hopefully yes.

Still hope someone can advise on how to remove the two console switches that are embedded in the console behind the carbon panel. Thanks much folks.

4. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    I agree. It is confusing. LMK.

5. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks much to all! The console removal was facilitated as noted above by removing (quite challenging) the leather pad at the bottom of the well to the right of the F1 controls. This allowed access to the two screws below and the carbon slab then was removable. Removing the switches was even easier - you just have to push them out from behind - they are just an interference fit.

So one last question: The leather pad was glued down with some magic black goo. Any recommendations as to what to use when I replace it?

Thanks again - you guys were a great help.

Red 27 likes this.
  6. Aeroman

Aeroman Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    DFW Texas
    That goo should remain sticky enough to just re-use. That's what I did with mine and they haven't moved.

Red 27 likes this.
  7. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks - I'll try it. Again, thanks to all for the great advice.