buying a 1985 308 GST QuattroValve | Page 2 | FerrariChat

buying a 1985 308 GST QuattroValve

Discussion in '308/328' started by captglen, Nov 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

if you have not paid for the car yet, i would encourage you to contact eddie karam (karam automotive) in philly. he sold me my 4k mile (like new!!!) 83 308 gtb gv. his price was very , very fair and again the car was time capsule new!!!

he will likely know details on the car you are looking at and will be helpful to you. please, please call eddie as i share some concerns on the car pictured...similar to the overspray as mentioned by bullfighter.

just a suggestion.

pcb

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    So do you :)

I looked. His has the secret little difference.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Indeed he does.

4. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    OK, I have an 84, can the FChat gods let us in on the little secret that differentiates the 84s from the 85s? :)

James in Denver

5. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    the 85's have the pina embalem on each side insted of one side which is the drivers side,my 85 has both sides,did I get the prize?

6. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Nope. 308s only had the Pina emblem on the passenger side. I'd be willing to bet someone added one to your's.

The difference is the fuse panel cover/dash panel. 85s were the only year that had knobs securing the panel as opposed to the plastic snap velcro stuff on the 84 and earlier cars.

Spang

P.S. Eddie Karam is a great guy and knows almost every exotic on the east coast. He probably had his hands on this car at one time or another.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

You are correct about the dash difference.

However,

308's always only had one pina emblem. The only time it was on the passenger side was on the glass cars. All the rest had one emblem on the driver's side.

8. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    then I'm to guess that a owner befor me added it?

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    no question

unless someone wasn't paying much attention at the factory - which is extremely possible

either way, only one on the driver's side on your car is correct

10. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Dangit, I HATE that plastic velcro-wannabe stuff! If you hit a bump hard (and didnt pay attention when putting that panel back on), the panel just falls off, embarrasing..... I wonder if its possible to "upgrade" to the knobs.

I still love my car, just hate the panel holders.

James in Denver

11. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    I had the pleasure of speaking with Eddie this morning and sure enough he knows the car. He told me it was a good deal and I should be very happy with it. I pick it up the car tomorrow in the morning and told my office I may not be back until Wednesday. Thanks to everyone for there input !!!! I will post more pics when I get the chance this week.
    Captglen

12. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    You are right...and I knew that. Just having a dyslexic Monday...

Anyone know why they only put the emblem on the driver's side? Just curious.

Spang

P.S. Glen, glad you got to meet Eddie. He's a good guy. Have fun with the car.

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i am glad you took the time to speak to eddie as well. he is a good contact and near you too. if he gives the car a good bill of health, i am happy for you and your new car!

308's are really among the prettiest ferraris of all regardless of value so enjoy it!

pcb

14. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Thank you! I did not know this!

15. gjv

gjv Karting

Feb 20, 2012
    Georgia
    I am also in the process of buying a '85 GTS QV with about 40k miles. The seller has the maintenance records and openly told me that the car was repainted when I looked at it. The car is in good condition, but not perfect (leather dry, top roof seals somewhat rough, etc). I would like to know if the paint job (same as original color) would affect the value much?

On a second note, I am also concerned about the fact that it has had its last service in 2002 and only put on about 3k miles since then. It will need a belt change for sure. I have worked much on cars (I am an automotive engineer) and have read this entire forum thread by thread. Great stuff! I think I am well prepared to perform my own PPI. Due to the snow/ salty roads I have not yet driven it so I'll first have to drive it, get it on the hoist to inspect underneath as well to check calipers, leaky shocks, and any other signs of trouble.

I have learned much from your threads and hope to become an active and contributing member of your community soon!

Jan

16. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA

I would make sure that the black paint (inside the hood, doors, etc) is on top of the red paint. That is how the factory painted it. If there is red on top of black paint, I would have it repainted/fixed. (this example is with red exterior) Others may not care, but this is one thing that I would notice if looking at another 308. I would also check for overspray. The doors are usually a bit wavey from factory. So if they are smooth (you can see your exact reflection), then it may not have been a good repaint. Also, the seals, on the sizes by the louvers, should be on the outside of the exterior paint (they would have needed to remove the seal, painted, and put a new black seal down.

As long as it is a good repaint (like factory) you should be fine. If you were ever going to show it, the Ferrari judges do not take off points just because it was repainted (I went to FCA judging seminar this month and confirmed).

17. gjv

gjv Karting

Feb 20, 2012
    Georgia
    Thank you for the tip. The car has always been black straight out of the factory, so I will pay particular attention to the seals you mentioned.

18. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I'm guessing that you're describing the black seal that joins those two body panels back there? Can that seal be pulled/replaced from the outside?

19. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hey Mat, check out the date of captglen's post. Something wierd going on?

20. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    My fault, clearly. Someone comments on one of these old ones, and I take it as new. Will check the dates from here on :)

21. jrinehart

jrinehart Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2009
    Chambersburg, PA
    Full Name:
    John Rinehart
    Glenn did you buy the car?

22. Nero308QV

Nero308QV Rookie

Feb 4, 2011
    Hi, good choice to buy a 308 GTS QV. I own mine since it was three years old, so I can tell you these are absolutely reliable, if serviced accotdingly and if carefully driven until the engine oil has warmed up. I don't rev the engine above 3,000 rpm for the first 15 miles. My engine has now 182,000 miles on it, and it was not yet overhauled! So you will have many thousand miles of driving pleasure to come.

miketuason likes this.
  23. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Good reply.

But do realize that you’re responding to a 13-year old post.

:)

Matt

CL308GTB and Jakuzzi like this.
  24. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I bet that in the past 13 years that 308 has been driven 13 miles, making it worthless now....... :)

25. Nero308QV

Nero308QV Rookie

Feb 4, 2011
    Sorry Matt, this message or info/question popped up and I just wanted to give the guy confidence and did not look at the year ...

Smiles likes this.