Anyone have a new Giulia | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone have a new Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by boxerman, Jan 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    I have a Quatro Folgio as my every day driver. 2018, no issues, just needs tires now. Replaced a13 Maserati GT

Boomhauer and G. Pepper like this.
  2. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    I have a 17 QV, got it in Dec. of 2016, was one of the first delivered into the US market.
    I had an initial issue with the car that was compounded by an incompetent dealer. after bringing it to Miller however the issue was resolved in 48 hours and the car has been nothing but fun. The car has not been babied or abused. It is not my DD, but has been on multiple road trips to Boston/Newport. It has been tracked at LRP, NJMP & MMC. Never left me stranded, and always puts a smile on my face. I have owned M Cars for over 30 years, still have an E30 M3 & E39 M5, and the QV is hands down a better performance car than the F80 M3 it replaced. The chassis/steering is the belle of the ball here, the 505hp under the hood is a blast as well. Unfortunately for Alfa the perception is reality and people have Alfa stigmatized for reliability issues. They (Alfa) did not help their cause with some of the early cars which had software issues and some isolated hardware/parts issues. So all the bashing started.
    Frankly the biggest issue for Alfa is their dealer network. The disparity between the solid dealers w/reliable/professional service is far and inbetween. So the advice I give anyone interested in the car is 2 fold. Drive it, see how great it is, BUT remember you are buying the dealer as well. Make sure they are up to snuff in the service dept. Do your due diligence when it comes to that. If all is good, buy or lease it! You will be very happy you did.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again

LightGuy, Boomhauer and greg328 like this.
  3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    With clear roads took the e46 m3 out for a compro spin. The e46 is a smaller car, feels more compact, its ride is far more brittle than the Alfa, Hard to compare the classic Na inline 6, there just a linearity to its response and noise the turbo motors cant cant match. Once on the boil the E46 is also clearly faster,especialy once the speeds rise past say 85. The biggest thing I noticed is that in the e46 it feels like youre sitting in greenhouse, because the door sills are so much lower and the whole machine is more compact.

In comparison, the Alfa has more real world perforrmance because its motor does not need to get caned yo be on the boil, all the Tq is there from 2k rpm. its cocked and loaded all the time. The Alfa is also much more of a luxury car, and is ride is clearly superior as is chassis balance/grip. In a sense the Alfa is what the M series cars used to be, the one machine that can do it all. When pushed its really has a feel and response of a sports car, and when not pushed is a luxury car. Its a dual mode machine.

The e46 always felt like it had too much body roll despite its overall stiffness of ride, and you can really feel it on left to right transitions and visa versa, a car you really had to let the body settle and take its set. The Alfa is just really linear and buttoned down, yet ts ride esp at speed is superior.

The beemer is more "fun" when pressng on because of the stick, motor and view. The Alfa is more fun more of the time and more comfy. I would say its an Italian take on the classic m car formula and the Italians just did it better, plus the Alfas interior is just more stylish/special.

The alfa is a car which like many greats you just bond with as a driver almost imediatly, the e46 took time. The Alfa is clearly underated, and the E46 was somewhat overated. The Alfa is something to use very day and feels good going slow and fast, its useable but always an event.
    It was a long search to find the perfect 4 door, in 2020 hands down its the Alfa, nothing else is close.

One last note, the MSRP for the beemer and Alfa are nearly identical and thats 15 years of time later, plus the real purchase price of the Alfa is way less, bargain of the century.

Compared to a more modern BMW the Alafa is just better, as modern beemers are sterile and thats before you look at price.

Yes the Alfa dealer experience does not compare, as Dai said you need to find a good one.

Texas Forever, LightGuy and Makuono like this.
  4. Monch

Monch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2012
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Very happy with my 2017 QV. No issues and very reliable at 20K miles.
    My only complaints... the brakes take some getting used to and the Pirellis are very “skippy”. The car has improved immensely since changing to Michellins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dai Baracca, Boomhauer and G. Pepper like this.
  5. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    I agree that the "brake by wire" was something I really had no experience with prior and took me a little time to learn how to modulate the brakes. once I did however they stop just as I would expect a high powered sports sedan to brake.
    as far as the Corsas, I burnt through 2 sets in 3 years and finally put on MPSS and could not be happier.

greg328 likes this.
  6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    If only alfa would make minor changes to guilia, I would be repeat customer. Put v6 in awd model, let me have sunroof with it, and button to shut nannies off. Is that really so hard to do? Im switching to audi rs5 to get that. Alfa should also offer a 5 door hatch version like all the Germans do.

fastback33 and boxerman like this.
  7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yes the drive by wire brakes take getting used to. It seems its more pedal and ineterplay between speed, pedal position, an pedal pressure. Whereas on a good hydraulic system its mostly pedal pressure.

MPSS are great tires have them on the M3, was wondering what works on the Alfa.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Agreed, so simple to bring in these changes. Its crazy that an Italian car, and a sporty one at that does not have a nanny shut off. The italains being more prescriptive than the Germans who would have thought, Its also indicative that manufactuers still miss basic things when it comes to the consumer, doubly ironic that in more pedestrian FCA cars you can turn off the nannies.

I also see the gulia can be ordered with all sorts of self drive gizmos, I wonder how many are sold like that. Seems dealers order all that add on crap, does anybody who buys this car really want that? I had to look pretty far and wide to find ones without it, possibly dealers are left with stock of these unwanted pricey options.
    They should really also actively offer the option to order cars.

My fantasy spec would be awd with a NA v6 fory the 4cyl price lol, or relaisticaly the euro 350hp 4cyl motor option. The quadrafoglio is in the end almost double what you pay for the 4cyl car, no awd, and that then becomes a different equation. For me the sport Ti awd came out not much more than a wrx, and the subie is not in the same orbit as the Alfa. A honda CTR costs less but is way more to lease.

In any event no reason why there is not a nanny defeat switch now.

Pls let us know how you like the audi and how they compare.

95spiderman likes this.
  9. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    wonder how the car gets itself out of plowed in snow if cant shut off esp/tc? need the wheels to spin to get out but nannies wont let it spin. havent had any snow and car going off lease summer so wasnt an issue for me but maybe others in colder climates can chime in.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Dont know, its a good question, would like to believe Alfa designed some sort of system to work in snow, but hey Italy so who knows.. Owners manual says use in snow ecodrive mode for softer response, possibly dynamic lets it spin a little.. I can say backroad traction and stability in rain is simply fantastic. This is a car you can have a lot of fun with on days when others cant tread. I wanted a fast entertaining winter fun driver,I got more than that, a luxury sedan thrown in to boot.

Would love to take it to MMC on a snow day and play, but with auto esp probably will be a bummer. If it snows will go to a parking lot and try play. Reminds me of when my wifes new 01 acura mdx went to the bloomingdales parking lot in white plains on snow day, kids were small and we did all types of fun, because you could turn the nannies off on the mom car, cmon Alfa.
    I think maybe that corrupted the kids, lol.

95spiderman likes this.
  11. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Your comparing the E46 M3 w/ the straight Giulia Ti Sport correct? is it an AWD Ti, or RWD w/LSD?.
    I would expect the E46 to be quicker just on the 50hp difference, add in weight difference
    Having a bit of trouble understanding. The RS5 has FI it is not N/A. to boot they only coaxed 444hp out of a 2.9 V6? My QV makes 505 out of the same 2.9 V6.
    FI is here to stay gents, only P-Cars are not FI, everything else I've looked at is FI.
    So to chide Alfa for not having an N/A V6 for their regular Giulias is a bit harsh. Also when I put the QV in race the Nannies are pretty much gone. By that I mean you have to have brought the car to the point of no return for them to kick in, ask me how I know....LOL then they attempt to reel you back.
    My 15 F80 M3 made 425hp from an I6 twin scroll, Audi seems a bit anemic in comparison, much less to a ZCP M3.
    As far as hot hatches like the S5, BMW tried the GT series, and they didn't get far. I believe that the Audi-phile is unique bird, much like the SAAB guys and they love their Tourings/Hatches. If I were in the market for an Audi it would be the RS6 AVANT, but @ 150k+ too rich for my blood as I buy my cars.

12. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i did try some snow last yr in a parking lot and was not good. couldnt get it to slide at all. nannies stopped it right away. this is a q4 ti sport on all season tires

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yes Im comparing a awd Sport Ti to an e46. The E46 was also remapped to run properly(not more HP) because stock it had all flat spots and didnt really pull past 7k. Its just a point of comparison.
    Im not giving Alfa a hard time for not having a NA v6 just my fantasy choice, the Busso V6 was best sounding engine ever, and turbos no matter how good have a little lag and lack the linearity of NA. Yes were in the turbo era so its a fact of life Im just making compros. The 4cyl Gulia is also prob 3-4mpg better than the e46.
    For me a 4cyl gulia with the 350hp motor they have in euro would be ideal, because it think it would pull up top harder. The 4cyl cars don't have race mode so you cant ditch the nannies, and thats a serious omission..

The modern BMWS make lots of Hp but are imo a snooze and way too isolated.

14. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    I've got a 2017 QV... cracking car. Nearly 30,000kms now and no issues. Have had m3s and rs4s but the qv is a notch above. Tree current m3 feels wooden and sounds like a hairdryer in wheels compared to the qv!

Bit biased though as we currently have 3 alfas in the family!

15. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
  16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    95spiderman likes this.
  17. spider_s

spider_s Rookie

Jan 3, 2020
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    S Webb
    I've not had any issues driving my Q4 Ti through the snow in Michigan with the Pirelli A/S's, the ESP lets the wheels slip enough if needed to get it through deeper snow, but will cut in if the car slides. I find the traction control in the Giulia quite unintrusive, it'll let the car slide a bit and when it does engage it's not noticeable, at least I've not noticed it.

18. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    good to know but I doubt I will have any chance for snow with the winter almost over here in ny

19. spider_s

spider_s Rookie

Jan 3, 2020
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    S Webb
    We've had a fairly non-eventful winter here this year which is perfectly fine with me.

20. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    what 350hp exists in Europe inside a Giulia?? I think you are mistaken, the petrol(gas) motors in Europe in 2 litre form have the same HP as US models
    They have 2.2 Diesel motors that make less HP in Europe.
    In fact that is a gripe among some Alfa owners that the discrepancy in Hp goes from 280 to 505, it would be great to have a mid-tier Giulia, ie Veloce for the US market tuned to 350 Hp

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Had thought the 4 cyl came in two forms. At least thats what I read when the car was first coming out, but then there was suposedly going to be a stick too, and there were one or two road tsts in 16 with a stick. Didnt realize the 350 motor never came out.

On another note the 4 cyl car pushes past 130 mph at least as well as a stock e46, maybe a little better. Remapped the e46 is still quicker but its marginal to 130, the m3 runs to 180 in 5th. I think the autobox/tq really does the alfa favors, the performance is always there and immediate with the flex of a foot.. Still like all turbos theres points in the speed/rev range where its off song. Like most of these modern motors, no real joy is just runing at say 3-4k revs and just tickilign the throttle for feel and sound. In other words part of the joy is lost.

Had a long trip today, part of the drive is 30 mins through farm country undulating single lane roads. In the M3 if youre stuck behind normal moving traffic its really dull, and one feels the need to downshift pass and get going, to then trundle in 3rd and 4th just rolling on and off the throttle through hill and dale. In the Alfa its so comfy might as well roll with the traffic and listen to music.

The Alfa is also really alive coming round and out bends(30-80) hard on the throttle, it just loves that and feels really secure and pointy. You can put all the power down and steer out a bend and nothing feels like it will get overwhelmed. Two very different cars.

greg328 likes this.
  22. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    There would be a giulia wagon sitting in my driveway right now if they made it. But we got the stelvio instead...

23. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    @boxerman the initial year of manuals was Europe only. now you cannot buy a manual anymore. yes when the rumors were circulating a 6 speed manual as thrown out there. then for slow sales of manuals in Europe it was not offered here. sadly there are many cars not offered in manuals anymore.

greg328 and boxerman like this.
  24. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    car is pretty easy to tune from what I hear. elivan from scda has done that to his and pretty powerful. probably the 350 hp they initially hinted at.

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Got my car from a dealer friend of Elivans, same guys that did the tune. Elsewhere on the net they say not such a big gain. To me the question is whether it wakes up the top end, regardless of numbers. Car is already quick.

I’ll ask Elivan If I can try his car for comparisons. Possibly a top Endy motor needs different cams. Maybe not it’s all electronics.

just passed 1200 miles. It’s quick, wonder how summer heat affects the turbo motor. The crisp air is great for power now though.