Help! - 2014 Cali won’t start after charging from flat | FerrariChat

Help! - 2014 Cali won’t start after charging from flat

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gilese, Feb 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilese

Gilese Rookie

Feb 18, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Gil Ese
    Hi guys.

turning to the forum for the first time after exhausting google..

So.. due to work commitments. I’ve not been able to use my 14 (non T) California for a few months. Wasn’t able to get it on a tender. As it’s been locked up in storage unit.

It went totally flat. Took my other car to carefully jump it and left it for 10 mins.

Every time I hit start. It clicks once. But doesn’t start. If I hold it down it clicks. Waits a second or two. Then clicks again.

I’m wondering if it’s something to do with the immobiliser. Or the Ferrari code system.

ive also read somewhere else about people doing an immobiliser reset sequence or re-pairing. (Apparently some cars have a switch under the seat.)

(Clicking the unlock 3 times in under 10 seconds.) havent tried that yet as I’ve come home to research it before going back to try again...

another thing.. apparently there is a system to enter the code in manually using the key In The ignition. (Is that really a thing?)

Guys... any idea. I’d been so grateful. Need to get the car out of the garage ASAP because the space I’m taking up is no longer available and I can now take her home and nurse back to health on the tender.

:(

2. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    First Thing:
    Check your manual for reset instructions.
    Battery is completely charged?
    If fully down may need a replacement.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds like the battery is dead.

4. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Are you able to check the battery voltage?

5. Gilese

Gilese Rookie

Feb 18, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Gil Ese
    Thanks guys..

It was indeed completely dead so I had my neighbours jag giving it a jump (carefully of course) so while his car was running, cables attached. All the displays came on in my car.

Check ok.

Press start. And nothing. Just click. (the click was the kind of click you’d get if the batt was too low to power the starter. Followed by an almost dimming of the equipment)

Could it be the immobiliser...

Just can’t work out why it wouldn’t have been able to draw the power from his car. He’s got a big v6 diesel with a big batt. would have assumed that it would be enough.. to start her up.

6. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Not enough amps to turn the engine over, Could be a poor set of cables, bad connections, you didn't wait long enough to get a bit of charge into the battery.

7. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I like to put a multi-meter on the battery to see where it is, a jump-box is a much better option than cables. If the battery was drained to nothing and then left in below freezing weather, i'd replace it. If its original to the car, its already 6 years old, I myself may replace it as a preventive measure, If well kept, it might have a few more good years.

8. Gilese

Gilese Rookie

Feb 18, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Gil Ese
    Rosso, guys,

Many thanks, will investigate further.

You all seem to be pointing towards not enough capacity in the battery/cables/donor car.

So I’ll solve that and report back.

Does anyone know of any Ferrari immobiliser system (in the Cali) that needs to be reset after a while in a full flat bat coma?

Many thanks.

9. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    #9 Motob, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Just put a new battery in the car and stop messing around. The dead/defective battery in the car is causing the jump box/jump start not to work. Once a battery has been left for dead for months, there is no getting it back to life with a tender.

Any good shop with a decent battery tester can tell you if it just needs recharging, or if the battery is defective. A tender is also made for maintaining a charge in a battery, it is not for charging a battery up from being dead for months.

Get a good correct sized AGM battery with high CCA and you won't have the problem again. Put it on a tender any time you are not using it or remove the battery and put it on a tender, otherwise you are just going to have the same problems again and again.

There is no reset on the immobiliser system in the California

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

RossoC360 likes this.
  10. Gilese

Gilese Rookie

Feb 18, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Gil Ese
    Hi Motob,

I agree, my problem is that I can’t get the car out of the garage to get it home/ to the service.

it’s in buried deep in a low height, impossible to access underground car park. Can’t tow her out.

no power anywhere near where she’s parked.

Will speak to my neighbour who restores Classic sports/prestige cars. I know he has to get big rolls / Bentleys started from dead. He must have a solution.

Once I can get the old girl home I can apply some TLC

11. nart

nart Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Motob already told you everything you need to know. Put a new battery in it in the car park and drive it home.