Antifreeze / Coolant Nerds - HELP | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Antifreeze / Coolant Nerds - HELP

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by TheZinger, Feb 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    G-48 is a closer match to the factory fill (Glycoshell). The factory fill called for a NAP (nitrite, amine, phosphate). G-05 doesn't fit here.

Even if you look at Valvoline's own test data, G-48 OUTPERFORMS G-05 in the pump cavitation tests (10 v.s. 9) and they tie in general D2809 cavitation erosion ratings.

G-48 also lists mainly large diesel manufacturers as having approval against it so I'm not sure why it's declared the inferior choice? The only reason I've heard is that "It's what BMW uses and they aren't using wet liners". Well even if they aren't using wet liners, that doesn't necessarily mean they are incompatible.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That is not because of cavitation. That might be poor maintenance and crappy Ferrari low bidder part. Heat exchangers are a known trouble free technology for everyone else, yet ubiquitously fail in Ferraris just like sticky plastic interior parts with Ferrari solution to put in another new short lived part.

3. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
  4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You are not wrong here. It is confusing. There are a few SAE articles on this situation. In one of my past posts is said something like "cavitation and other things casing cavitation". Cavitation we talk about here is liner not pump. Pump is a separate related issue. Diesels tend to cavitate hence all the additive packages. But there is more to cavitation. Cavitation is a complex issue. As an example the old 5.9 12 valve cummins diesel is a totally different beast to the modern post 2013 cummins diesel. The improved combustion 6.7 cummins 2013+ is using OAT not traditional HOAT's. Then we have Si-oat and P-hoat but no GOAT. That's why with oils and everything else the low hanging fruit course is to use what is spec'ed in your owner's manual.

5. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    That's fair. There isn't a lot of (publicly) published data. I guess my point goes back to Ferrari never asked for nitrites in their factory fills to fight liner erosion. All of the recommendations on the F136, Glycoshell (Ferrari), Agip Ecopermanent (Maserati) and Paraflu Up (Alfa) pushed for NAP-free formulations that most closely match G-48.

Is ASTM D7583 the spec we care more about? Neither Zerex product lists it. Can only find it mentioned with Glycoshell.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    G48 works fine as long as you add SCAs to keep down liner erosion, which car owners do not do. Here is the quote from the spec sheet put out by Valvoline. Note cavitation erosion in liners, like FBB said, is not a pump issue.

Valvoline recommends following heavy duty engine manufacturers requirements for supplemental coolant additives.

7. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Sorry, I disagree. I believe the 2-EHA takes the place of the nitrite or any other additive in older NOAT formulations.
    Here's a interesting article on the transition.

http://editiondigital.net/publication/?i=470723&article_id=2993599&view=articleBrowser
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There are two basic ways to keep cavitation at bay for the life of the coolant for our Ferraris: nitrites, which have a relatively short life and the coolant needs to be changed frequently, and OATs, which have no nitrites and are severely degraded by mixing with coolants with nitrites. G48's additive package is compatible with most other coolant types, which means it is not a pure OAT coolant and the additive package breaks down fairly quickly. So I stick to the basics, either a simple G05 with nitrites and frequent changes or an ELC OAT coolant that will last much longer and the additives last the life of the coolant, ~5 years. G48 works for some heavy duty truck applications because SCAs are added at regular intervals to keep up the liner erosion and other corrosion protection, not something Ferrari owners are going to do.

9. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Just to re-iterate what I'm saying-- the 2-EHA (e.g. a common carboxylic acid) is the liner protection additive in these, and the Recommended factory fill. Ferrari never asked for Nitrites so I'm wondering why we are suggesting switching to them. There's documented issues with the brazing fluxes on aluminum parts with the nitrites.

NOAT's are the ones that need constant maintenance to replenish. The nitrites are quickly depleted and I don't think any owners are maintaining those levels either (maybe that's why you're suggesting frequent changes)? This isn't a problem with the (H)OAT's.

I suggest to have a look at the first article I provided, it provides a lot of interesting info from the various coolant manufacturers.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

All I know is that I have used this crap or equivalent in my 308 for 35 years with no problems. Not changing every two years either.

11. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    #37 tstuli, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Use whatever you want. Not my car.

13. UrbanHero

UrbanHero Rookie

Apr 18, 2019
    New York Pothole City
    Full Name:
    M
    Geeeze ,
    I guess I'll stick to Z-G05, I was also told Prestone Dexcool concentrate can be used.

Sent from my SM-G955U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Attached Files:

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Please do not use dezcool ..not even an option for our cars

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

15. 2eha

2eha Rookie

Feb 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jimmy Hernandez
    i’m turbo bumping this thread but yes it is.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jimmy- As far as I can tell looking at the spec sheets, no additives for cavitation erosion protection needed in either diesels or Ferrari wet liner engines. So, no it is not.

17. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    As Terry said doesn't appear to be made to prevent cavatation and besides it becomes like jelly when mixed with some of the other antifreezes that may have been used. No matter how good you drain you will have old stuff in there

So i an going back to my post a few back, please don't use this or even suggest that others use

Let the GM cars continue to be the ones using it ..like a C5 vette

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dominick- Note also it is recommended to change it every 2 years if used in a car not originally designed for it. Not a good Ferrari choice.

flash32 likes this.
  19. 2eha

2eha Rookie

Feb 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jimmy Hernandez
    #45 2eha, Feb 13, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    glycoshell has always been a semi-universal coolant. it transitioned over from a NAP-free borated HOAT (commonly associated with G48) to a pure OAT because of the millions of VW group vehicles on european roads. naturally this also covers ford with havoline xlc (dexcool) and gm with g34.

agip ecopermanent, dexcool, paraflu UP and the entire basf g30 family are all functionally identical

anyways glycoshell never had nitrites at any stage. it was selected because it was what shell had to offer for antifreeze at the time. if you really need SCAs I would upgrade to Rotella ELC.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jimmy- The Rotella ELC will work fine, and they even have a nitrite free version for those who do not like nitrites.

21. 2eha

2eha Rookie

Feb 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jimmy Hernandez
    #47 2eha, Feb 14, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    ELC NF is very close to Dexcool. There is absolutely nothing that distinguishes dexcool from current ferrari factory fill.

Ferrari’s recommended coolant for the past 13 years is Kemetyl Carix Premium Long Life. It’s a generic OAT coolant with the same inhibitors as dexcool. ferrari factory fill has always been off brand stuff sold at gas stations.

If you want to upgrade from the G48 in your older Ferrari or the off brand dexcool in your newer one, go buy the new Volvo (G64) or VW G12 EVO (G65) PSi-OAT. They are drop-in replacements, Volvo is blue-green and the VW is pink

22. 2eha

2eha Rookie

Feb 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jimmy Hernandez