Daytona 500 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Daytona 500

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by lorenzobandini, Feb 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. indy-25

indy-25 Karting

Nov 19, 2006
    He's alive at least

2. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Wow. I didn't think there was anyway that was survivable.
    Every time I'm at one of the super speedways I'm amazed at how fast they are going in big heavy cars.
    Hoping he is OK.

rdefabri likes this.
  3. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Great news! My prayers are with him.

greg328 likes this.
  4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    wow. good news that I wasn't expecting.

greg328 and BoulderFCar like this.
  5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    so many prerequisites before race with claims of greatly improved safety advancements..
    At 200 MPH....anything goes.

greg328 likes this.
  6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    The crash with 16 to go looked pretty scary too..takes out half the field!Newman leading at that point..

7. I awoke just in time for the last two restarts. Who all went to hospital in that one? Are they okay?

8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Dunno ..im just watching the replay now ...

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Serious but not life threatening

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I think if anybody else were hospitalized it would have been mentioned in the statement.

11. #61 lorenzobandini, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    "The crash with 16 to go looked pretty scary too..takes out half the field!Newman leading at that point.."

Somehow I don't feel the sitiation was the same......no mention of it in this thread since it restarted today (Post # 11)

Ryan's looked very bad.

12. Bwetter late than never.... :p

13. OT, but on the lighter side (since the good news) the Ford GTs and MkIV were nearly as heavy, faster (not going 'round high banks either), and up and down through the gears for 24 hours in '66-69.....so, not all that impressive. ;)

:D

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Demolition Derby.. + some big A$$ sponsors.

15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    That was a very typical "Big One" wreck, standard Daytona asshattery. No injuries, just tight pack racing makes for a lot of jacked up cars.

greg328 likes this.
  16. #66 lorenzobandini, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Unh unh uuuuuunnnhhhh. Image Unavailable, Please Login

'Taint Daytona's or 'Dega's fault. Call it NASCARtry, as it institutes the rules and regs. for the wonderful "races" (get serious....shows) choreographed for the sponsors and masses..... Image Unavailable, Please Login

Me? Gimme back templated (to showroom) real stock cars with cages..........2/3 of the field gone due to attrition (not via big ones)....drafting that meant something (not follow the leader for the "Sponsors and Masses Show")........finishers separated by laps due to ability/excellence...... Real racing. Image Unavailable, Please Login

greg328 and schwoo like this.
  17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Nice to wake up to some good news here.

18. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I understand where you are coming from, but "real" stock cars, even with cages, claimed quite a few lives in their day. A wreck even half as violent as Newman's would had basically vaporized him, now he looks like he's going to pull through (who knows at what capacity at this point), and that is 100% due to the safety advances that NASCAR had invested so much time and effort into...and I will guarantee that this wreck will serve as another data point for more research and engineering...no two wrecks are the same and Daytona has been a **** show from the beginning. Basically a throwaway race for most drivers. If it wasn't for the "prestige" of the event it a lot of drivers would probably just write it off.

19. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Pleased to hear Newman has non life threatening injuries, the silence afterwards indicates it might be a career ender..

I don’t follow NASCAR these days but listening to Gordon and McMurry relate their experiences of being bumped from behind at speed has me believe they’re both pleased to be commentators. The new kids are overextending their reliance on the strength of the cage, safety tech and improved barricades to keep them alive. Don’t recall watching Superbirds hammer into each other lap after lap. If they wanted to increase safety for superspeedways at least, it’d be easy, make the nosecone more fragile. Bump all you want at the risk of ruining your aero. I’ve never seen so many non retaliatory wall hits due to bumping. Crazy.

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I don't have time to look for higher resolution images, but it looks like the cut the entire roll cage / roof off the car to get him out:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

normv and GuyIncognito like this.
  21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'm a big Blaney fan but he flat out dumped Newman. no excuse for moves like that and we see them all the time in NASCAR these days, particularly at the plate tracks.

Isobel likes this.
  22. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    The scary part was the fuel pouring out of the car and a fire on the ground when it came to rest. Another few seconds or so and it could have been alot worse.

steved033, normv and BoulderFCar like this.
  23. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

I thought he was the faster car. Tried to go high and got blocked, tried to go low and got blocked. Faster car has to go somewhere. I don't watch NASCAR much and the driving standards are one of the main reasons why.

24. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    he and Hamlin were playing bumper cars. that style of racing isn't entertaining to me.

Devilsolsi and Isobel like this.
  25. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #75 msdesignltd, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Did anyone notice the live feed when it happened...1 minute 30 seconds into video above.....the amount of gas that was pouring out when car was upside down....There should be a better cure for that..

With Gyroscopes (100 lb. spinning flywheels on board ) there would be no flipping...
    outcomes would improve.