Check Engine Light P0024 on F430 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Check Engine Light P0024 on F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Apr 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Seuong,

I think its just a coincidence. As I mentioned my valve covers are seeping and its possible the oil finally got to some connectors....

I'll approach this just like on any other car issue. I will do what I can to figure out what the issue is, go with the easy part first (checking for solid electrical connections, loose connections, fluid around the connector, loose mounting bolts,etc.) I dont believe in just throwing new parts unless Im absolutely sure the part is defective. Once I've done all I can within my low level of expertise and I've spent enough time with it - then I will just take it to the dealer and let them fix it and be done with it.

Yes, forecast for this weekend is rain :(
    Crap, looks like I wont be able to go for a drive.....

Dan

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You are most welcome.
    Glad I can help.

By the way, the Apple version requires a WiFi ELM327 OBD adapter.
    The Android version requires a Bluetooth ELM327 OBD adapter.
    You can find them all at Amazon.

Dan

billy.gif likes this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi, I understand you replaced both of your variator control solenoid valves.

Where are they located and how difficult are they to replace?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Dan,
    For some photos see the bottom of the page: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f430-new-owner-diary-inc-maintenance-upgrades.465662/page-10

Remove the cam covers and you will see the solenoids. The most time consuming part is cover removal - the solenoids themselves are held in by a single M6 cap screw. Put a piece of rag under the solenoids in case you drop a fastening.

I had oil in three of the four connectors so I decided to replace all four with the revised part. Unfortunately, Ferrari had just doubled the price of them.

Regards,
    Mark

whatheheck likes this.
  5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Most excellent! Thank you!

And you've done a great job upgrading your F430.
    Thanks for sharing your thread.

Dan

mwstewart likes this.
  6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No problem, Dan. Thanks.

whatheheck likes this.
  7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I want to provide an update to this thread of mine.

I cleaned my engine 3 weeks ago using scrubbing bubbles. See my thread link below.
    I reset the CEL by removing power from the battery overnight.

I have now driven almost 200 miles and the CEL has not come back.

I can only assume scrubbing bubbles did such a great job cleaning not only the engine but also the variator solenoid control valve connectors that the CEL has not come back. It is possible that the very slight / weeping oil leak from my valve covers contaminated the variator solenoid control valve connectors and its giving the ECU a faulty reading hence it threw CEL P0024

My next step is to clean all variator control valve connectors with electrical contact cleaner to make them super clean and hopefully the CEL will stay away.

In case anyone wants to read how I can clean my engine the very easy way - see below.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/diy-best-and-easiest-way-to-clean-your-engine.574877/

Hope that helps.

Dan

klointheridge and recoil like this.
  8. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    I would make sure the battery is topped off with charge too. I was not using a trickle charger and always drive with my lights on for safety. I think the load contributed to my alternator and cable failure later that summer. That was a known issue, but low voltage can cause all kinds of gremlins in an otherwise healthy car.

9. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think it's just temporary, Dan, but good luck all the same.

whatheheck likes this.
  10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the suggestions John.

My battery is brand new, I drive my car 3 times a week when its not raining, and if I wont be driving it due to rain for more than a week its always hooked up to a battery tender.

All the best to you,

Dan

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I think you're right Mark.

Im guessing my variator solenoid control valves are on its way out so Im preparing to replace them sometime soon.

Dan

12. gaxor

gaxor Rookie

Jul 19, 2017
    Surrey - UK
    Seems a bit too coincidental that iot showed up after filling with fuel.

I had a similar problem on my F430, turned out the rubber washer on the fuel cap had dislodged from its seating groove, and was stopping the cap from sealing properly. Re-seated the washer and turned off the battery switch for 10 mins to reset, and all good

whatheheck likes this.
  13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Update: May 15, 2018.

600+ miles later and the check engine light has not returned.
    All I did was clean the engine and spray the variator control solenoid valve connectors with contact cleaner.

However, the idle would hunt once in a while when engine is cold.

I suspect the variator solenoids are going bad so I will start looking for a great deal on them and replace all 4 preventively.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

billy.gif and Raconteur like this.
  14. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Hey Dan,

I haven't cleaned my engine since replacing the oil sender unit, yours is otw but it is taking a lot longer to ship it here, so hang in there.

I don't remember if I got the code before or after cleaning, but it wasn't immediately after cleaning either that I got the CEL. I have p0021 and p0024, can I safely assume all my solenoids are busted?

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for the updates. I thought perhaps you have forgotten about the oil sending unit for me and if that was the case no big deal at all, I can just order one.
    Thanks again for the update.

With regards to P0021 & P0024, reading a few threads here the most common root cause is variator control solenoid valves. They are known to go bad quite often on F430's........ So that would be my guess too. Sucks though as they are fairly expensive...... and its not that easy to replace.....

Kindly keep me posted as I plan on replacing my solenoids too sometime late this year or early next year before they even go bad.

Hope that helps.

Dan

104OCTANOS likes this.
  16. jjrho

jjrho Rookie

Jun 11, 2017
    Redlands, CA
    Full Name:
    james R
    so, to clear CEL, you have to disconnect at the battery ? i can't just reset/clear it with a OBD2 reader/scanner/reset tool ???

james

08 f430 18k miles

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi James, you can clear with an OBD2 reader that is compatible with Ferraris.

Dan

18. Mark Abrials

Mark Abrials Rookie

Jun 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark Ethan Abrials
    I'm a new owner of a 2006 F430, and had a similar CEL issue. I had recently fueled it for the first time, and must not have turned the fuel cap enough. I read this comment, turned the fuel cap until it click a few more times, and in a few minutes, away went the light. Thank you!

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Excellent!

20. AAAALLL

AAAALLL Rookie

Mar 26, 2018
    Hello,

I have been reading all you responses with great interest. Coincidently, I have the exact year F430 F1, same mileage and the exact service within 2-weeks. I went for a drive also for 3 hours and "poof", on comes the service engine light. Immediately I thought of the variable control valve solenoid given what you all were saying. So I want to download the EOBD Facile software so I can see and learn for myself. Once downloaded, does it work via bluetooth or do I need to purchase a connector, if so, where do I order and what type. Were you able to define the root cause of the service engine light? Was it in fact the variator control valve solenoid?

Thanks much

21. AAAALLL

AAAALLL Rookie

Mar 26, 2018
    Do I need to remove the valve covers to access the variator control valve solenoid?

22. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you go on their web site (facile) , they show the adaptor you need but expensive from them. Same thing on Amazon and you can get a blue tooth or wireless type, depends on how you want to use it. It plugs into your OBD socket in the car.
    The program will list a lot of info and also give you a lot of graphs etc, cheap for what it does.

23. 104OCTANOS

104OCTANOS Rookie

May 16, 2013
    [QUOTE = "whatheheck, publicación: 146058030, miembro: 31874"] Hola Dan,
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for the updates. I thought perhaps you have forgotten about the oil sending unit for me and if that was the case no big deal at all, I can just order one.
    Thanks again for the update.

With regards to P0021 & P0024, reading a few threads here the most common root cause is variator control solenoid valves. They are known to go bad quite often on F430's........ So that would be my guess too. Sucks though as they are fairly expensive...... and its not that easy to replace.....

Kindly keep me posted as I plan on replacing my solenoids too sometime late this year or early next year before they even go bad.

Hope that helps.

Hi Whatheheck
    I have the same problem with the P0024 code.
    I also have oil in the connectors.
    Did you solve the problem by changing the solenoids?
    Thank you very much and greetings

24. 104OCTANOS

104OCTANOS Rookie

May 16, 2013
    After clearing the fault P0024 turns on the fault light again at approximately 100km.
    You know what camshaft refers to admission or escape