360 - white Exhaust powder? | FerrariChat

360 white Exhaust powder?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 550nitis, Feb 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Is this this dreaded white exhaust powder seeping through the weld that everyone talks about when your exhaust is on the way out?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    There is an insulation in the muffler that breaks down and leaks out. That is harmless. The failure point is the pre-cat in the exhaust manifold.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The muffler is not sealed. It is 2 big cans designed to slide together and apart to allow for thermal expansion. When the insulation starts breaking down it gets pumped out like air from an accordian. Except for the mess it has no negative impact.
    If it is coming from the exhaust manifolds that is a different matter and requires different diagnosis.

KC360 FL and E60 M5 like this.
  4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I've had the same situation for over 2 years now. Nothing to worry about. But it does kind of make the engine compartment look dull when everything gets "powder coated" ;)

5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Just curious... how do the aftermarket exhaust offerings deal with the heat expansion? I've not looked hard at them but most seem to be completely sealed units (?)

6. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A;ways had the same thoughts.
    Still have original exhaust on my '99 and it sounds great. Know a few people that installed Tubi exhausts, which don't allow for thermal expansion.
    Wouldn't that lead to cracked exhaust manifolds?

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    OE exhaust gets hotter because it is insulated to keep engine bay cool. Aftermarket exhausts radiate their heat into the engine bay.

one4torque likes this.
  8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That raises the question of, how good can all that extra heat from an after market exhaust be for all the electronic components, wiring, etc. in the engine compartment?

9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Two words: Challenge Grill.

up4speed likes this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It helps but not enough. Even with stock exhaust Ferrari considered making Challenge grill standard configuration from the very beginning but it just didn't help that much. For air to go out, it needs to get in and there is no air inlet for that to happen. Not my opinion.....Ferrari's.

11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #11 up4speed, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Out of memory, I thought that the 360's had air inlets on the rear of the rocker panel area to feed the engine bay, that typically exits through the vents on the side of the glass?
    Or do the vents "dead end" into the wheel well for the brakes? I don't remember, I haven't seen that part of a 360 in over 2 years.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You know how small those are. At any speed we are allowed to drive the amount of air from those is tiny. Ferrari knew heat was a problem but aerodynamics is what drove the design and air flow through the engine bay causes drag.

13. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Interesting

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    How can something the size of the Challenge grill be of benefit to air flow when you have the vents around the rear window plus the vents in the rear bumper only fed by 2 vents the size of my fist feeding them? At 150 MPH but at 60? Like I said, not my opinion.

15. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm not sure, I'm not an engineer. Maybe it creates a vacuum behind the car that essentially "Sucks" the air out? Who knows.
    Or maybe if the challenge grill is in place, and the car is moving, the side of the window vents become an intake to move the air out of the rear grill. Air can do funny things at speed, without a wind tunnel we can speculate all day. I guess we have to trust Ferrari to do wind tunnel testing for us and design the car properly. But we all know how that goes