Hints for 456 Power Steering Pump Removal | FerrariChat

Hints for 456 Power Steering Pump Removal

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by fished43, Feb 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fished43

fished43 Rookie

Aug 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Finally ready to address the lack of power steering on my 1995 456. Read through previous posts and pretty sure PS pump needs to be sent out for rebuild (or perhaps I attempt with ZF kit). My question is can a mere mortal without a lift remove the pump? It's not in the most accessible location, although I think I may be able to clear enough space to get it out. Any guidance would be most appreciated. Thanks!

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'd be curious to know how you eliminated the other common causes, Dave. e.g. Did you confirm that the Servotronic ECU or solenoid valve was not the problem? What were the symptoms?

3. fished43

fished43 Rookie

Aug 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Fair question and not 100% sure. Thinking is based primarily on two non-conclusive observations: (1) grinding noise when turning the wheel which am pretty sure is coming from the PS pump (although it can be a little tricky to tell for sure) and (2) the group that did my belt service a few years back seemed to agree that PS pump is shot. If there is an easy test to rule in/out another cause, please share.

Qavion likes this.
  4. fished43

fished43 Rookie

Aug 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ... and (3) the car's suspension has been terrible (bouncy ride and stiffness selector does nothing) in spite of rebuilt rear shocks and new accumulators. perhaps another indication that the PS pump is failing in whatever role (maintain proper pressure?) that plays in the load leveling system.