430 - Maintain Battery | FerrariChat

430 Maintain Battery

Discussion in '360/430' started by aleary360, Feb 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aleary360

aleary360 Karting

Nov 23, 2015
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Al Leary
    Gentlemen,
    Question for you please. I'm moving to a condo with car port only. The is no power outlet for me to plugin my Battery tender. Any recommendations on how to maintain battery besides maybe start it once a week.
    Is there such thing as a portable charger to plug in my battery tender?

Thank you!!!

2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Tough scenario. I have no idea if it would work well enough or not, but it's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.
    - A solar battery maintainer
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TC3GJS4/ref=dp_cerb_3

I would wire it directly to battery (instead of cigarette lighter), and I would probably mount it to the top of the car port, and run a wire down, in order to maximize sun exposure.

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Unless you drive it for at least 30 minutes, starting it once a week will net drain the battery.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    Solar battery tender is by a mile the best option. Otherwise, hit the manual cut off switch everytime. They will drain the battery out within a week in most cases (with some variation here of course). But it's really harsh on the alternator to allow it to charge up a depleted battery constantly. Solar tender will be the only viable option.

5. 9650max

9650max Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2011
    Priority Start 12volt Pro Max
    Available at Walmart or other online sources or some battery stores.

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I agree that solar charger is his best option. BUT, if your battery only lasts a week you have bigger problems. 2-3 weeks easy but 4 is pushing it a bit (it sags but will still start).

EastMemphis likes this.
  7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Long extension cord.

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  8. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    long shot... but ask building management if they can hardwire an electrical line to your parking space (at your expense I'm sure). ya don't ask ya don't get.

9. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    f355spider likes this.
  10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The problem I see with a solar battery charger, is you must have the charger in the sun. I presume most are not going to leave their Ferrari outside, baking the leather dash in the sun (as well as the rest of the car), so that entails running a longish cord (and resistance the cable adds) from the solar panel to the car. (also risking theft of the panel). Just more to think about.

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Is the car port illuminated with overhead lighting at night? If so, there is a way to tap into that for a battery tender. Either McGuyver it, or hire an electrician. Just make sure if it is only powered at night, that your battery tender does not require an "activation" step like pressing an "on" button or selecting modes. Those type of tenders do not automatically restart when power is restored.

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    A solar charger won't put out enough current for the longer cable to be any issue. The idea about the light is good. If it is a edison socket you can get a screw in plug and you are off and running.

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    just shut the battery off with the oem switch. i do it all the time. no issues. it will fry the ecu yada yada....it doesnt.

14. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It depends on the car how long it will last, I find even the same car but different years drain at different rates, my 2014 458 spider was terrible even if on tender did2like to start in the cold, this 2015 even after months parked up starts right up straight off the button although this winter has been particularly mild in London

Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. 9650max

9650max Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2011
    The Priority Start device installs between your positive post and your positive cable. If your battery discharges to a certain level it shuts it down so you have energy left to start your car.
    prioritystart.com

PTG1 likes this.
  16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Poor choice since you have a start sequence when you turn the power on, at least if you want it to run right. It would clear all codes so you could never diagnose any issues, and may never see them until it is too late. And, you could never pass a smog since no monitors would be set.

17. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    I also live in a condo, and my solution is this mega capacity li-ion portable power station:
    https://www.polaroidenergystorage.com/en/polaroid-ps600/
    I plug this in to the tender and gives about 2 days of power to tender. I switch it out and make sure it's hooked up to power up once a week. In the long winter months when I know the car won't be driven I disconnect the battery for convenience's sake

crazy canuck and f355spider like this.
  18. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thanks pretty brilliant solution. Someone else was doing that as well using a starting power pack they bought online. I forgot about that.

19. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast

Cool idea.

I wonder if there is one that provides a trickle charge - but for longer than 2 days. ?

Battery tech has improved quite a bit - so perhaps there's an option now ?

20. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    You can buy bigger Li-on batteries, but they get larger and more expensive. The PS600 gave me good balance between price, capacity and size. I think they are discontinued, but you can find similar size/capacity li-on batteries on amazon. Never had any problems and my cars can sit for 2-3 weeks sometimes