A USABLE tool kit | FerrariChat

A USABLE tool kit

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ghostdiver, Feb 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I just completed what started out as a routine annual. This quickly turned into a non-routine….

-Repair alt wiring....again...this time re-routing the main batt feed to the alternator
    -Replace steering column switch assy. (no more mystery wipers running when they feel like it)
    -Recharge AC system (apparently someone forgot to tighten up the manifold on top when they replaced the compressor)
    -Flush/fill brake system (only one caliper gave me issues...but GTG now)

So, while I was in the frump, with two of the four panels off for the AC work, I decided to pull the useless CD changer out since I have it disconnected anyway so I can use the more modern 30 pin Ipod connector instead! My thought was the opening in the top panel would be sized just right to fit the owners manual case in there. My trusty eyeball measuring device said it would fit....wrong. Back to where it was originally...piggybacked with the toolkit.

That got me to thinking, do I really need the factory tool kit in the car? I mean, it's great that it includes the alternator and ac belts but I racked my mind for the last time I saw a 360 on the side of the road with the owner changing those belts out. So, the tool kit is now regulated to stay in my office along with the leather cased battery charger and vintage 1999 bottle of Fix-a-Flat. Might even pull the vintage Italian fire extinguisher out as well to open up the footwell to make battery access just a little bit less of a PITA, for those road side emergencies. Don't worry, though I'll replace it with another extinguisher, or possibly road side flares to fan the flames....

Now, I'm gonna feel naked driving around without a tool kit....I mean, it's not like this thing has a powertrain warranty anymore and I've heard of them breaking down from time to time. So, I am on a quest to build the perfect tool kit for the modern 360 driver/owner/mechanic. What tools are needed for a roadside repair, the one caveat though is I would like what ever collection of goodies to fit in the opening for the CD changer, even though storage in these cars is right up there with a Chevy Suburban, I still like a clean streamlined look.

So, here goes, feel free to add

Fuses and relays
    T-whatever size that fits the engine side panels and front compartment access cover
    Phillips/standard screwdriver to fit the control stations behind the seats
    test light/DVOM
    Spare bulb for the high beam (everything else is LED/HID so no roadside fix there)
    7,10,13mm sockets and wrenches
    Adj. wrench for that 13 1/2 mm bolt that is always around somewhere
    Vehicle recovery thingy

kes7u likes this.
  2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    ODB Code reader. A must. I keep one in the glove box. I use the app based code reader with a bluetooth dongle.

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Duct tape

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Dewinator likes this.
  4. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    A 2010 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Riserva Speciale Monfortino for sipping while you wait for the flat bed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. rudkinjc

rudkinjc Rookie

Apr 27, 2019
    Jacksonville Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe C Rudkin II
    1)A complete set of fuses and fuse puller.
    2) tow hook
    3) spare relays (50amp for F1 pump if you don't have a manual transmission)
    4) Flashlight...I have a windup huricane flashlight so I don't have to worry about batteries.
    5) Basic first aid kit.

6. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Of all the items listed I think the tow hook is the most important. It’s the old phrase, never leave home without one. If you break down, that’s what the tow truck operator wants to see. If he doesn’t find another tow truck operator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

rudkinjc likes this.