FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 13 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    It’s not 47k anymore- it’s closer to 20k now

2. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Sorry to hear that :(

My logic on the FF, which is mine only, is that the early ones are the greater risk. And ultimately, the cars prefer to be driven.

So an older car like 2012 especially or 2013 less so, with low miles, is the greater risk.

Any car with regular use is less risk ... and the newer ones are better 2014, 2015, 2016. The Lusso I have no data on, but the car is more corporate and made during expansion, so even as it SHOULD be more reliable being newer, I COULD be less reliable because they seem cheap overall to me, well documented :)

Self insuring makes sense. Your odds are low of a problem. It's all about big failures. Powertrain.

And EVEN IF you had a $20,000 problem and you are KEEPING the car, then once you pay the 20000 and keep it more than 3.5 years you are ahead on the warranty.

timjen88 and Nospinzone like this.
  3. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Based on the data we have, the average age of FFs and Lussos at the point of PTU failure is 4.2 years. The standard deviation is 1.7 years. Therefore, 95% of the failures occur between 0.8 years and 7.6 years of age. The 2011 and 2012 cars are now outside that envelope.

4. CLG

CLG Rookie

Feb 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    CHRIS GREATREX
    Thank you for your comments, contacted Barrett Jackson and they said they would be in touch shortly. Apparently the transmission had been looked at recently according to Ferrari. Your comments brought me just under the wire with the 30 lemon clause. Thanks again..

LARRYH likes this.
  5. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    You’re welcome. Please keep us updated on your progress and the outcome of your claim under the lemon clause. Do you know the details of what work Ferrari did on the transmission?

6. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    My 2 cents is negotiate the power warranty into the original deal. It is very easy. The ff is an interesting car. I took 1 from around 14k to 18k. My experience was 50 days or so of down time in 120 days of ownership. I had a warranty I didn't care. If I paid 7k or paid the 3k per each time of fixing it I would be upset. Neither happened. Ferrari and Miller fixed my car no cost no problem. Here is the deal. Ff warranty! my 458 no warranty but possibly in the future.

andyrichter likes this.
  7. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    Would you say your 458 has been as reliable as a Porsche? Thanks

8. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    I would say yes but my 458 is not a daily driver where my 911 c4 targa was and my ff was. 40k on the 911 4k on the ff. About 5k on the 458. These are my usage not actual miles on the car. I think the ff could be as reliable but maybe I just got a bad one. I literally had the generic check engine light the day it left the dealer and another weird check code the day I traded it in. But remember for the purpose of this thread I did not have a ptu issue as I was told 1st is was the rear transmission.

andyrichter likes this.
  9. Daniel1453

Daniel1453 Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    New York
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reaves
    Help pls- My cousin bought 2012 FF a few months ago and having PTU issues. It costs ridiculous $$$$$ to replace the unit with a new one. Does anybody knows any rebuilder in state? Thank you!

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    how much did the dealer quote? shld be only around $20k these days from what i have learned.

11. Daniel1453

Daniel1453 Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    New York
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reaves
    Dealer quote was 32K PTU + 11K Labor

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    that sounds off - those are the old prices....

13. Daniel1453

Daniel1453 Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    New York
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reaves
    You've way better price. Where did you get that quote if you don't mind to share, so we can get it done. thanks

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    From guys on the board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Im confused I thought now there were repair kits from places like eurospares for 8k?

16. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Hi Daniel, I'm sorry to hear that your cousin is having problems.
    Please can you tell me what the mileage is on the car? I am keeping a database of PTU failures.
    It's also worth triple checking that the problem really is with the PTU as we've had some failures which have initially been diagnosed as PTU failures and turn out to be DCT failures or crimped cables/hoses.

17. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    GTE Engineering in NJ will rebuild them, They've said it will be somewhere between 6k-55k.

18. Daniel1453

Daniel1453 Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    New York
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reaves
    Thank you, I’ll let him now. The car has 32,500 miles on it.

19. Daniel1453

Daniel1453 Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    New York
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reaves
    So helpful thank you very much! I appreciated

20. Daniel1453

Daniel1453 Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    New York
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reaves
    Fyi- I called GTE Engineering and they said rebuilding would cost between 6k - 8k depends on how many external parts may require.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh vs 36k from factory. I sent u a direct message fyi

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Eurospares sells a kit for 8k as well

23. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    If they can fix PTU problems for this kind of money then that will remove the single biggest financial risk of FF/Lusso V12 ownership. Please keep us posted on how it goes and what GTE end up doing to repair the PTU.

timjen88, otakki, Radu and 2 others like this.
  24. Daniel1453

Daniel1453 Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    New York
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reaves
    HI - Can you explain what kit?

25. Daniel1453

Daniel1453 Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    New York
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reaves
    Hi- Luckily I spoke with their gm (his name is Og) at GTE. He told me that, they already rebuilding PTU units worldwide for their customers. I've got very confident after we spoke and feel good to be understood what’s our frustration is. He offered me free transfer if we decide to send our FF to their facility to complete rebuild and installations.