360 Modena engine info help | FerrariChat

360 Modena engine info help

Discussion in '360/430' started by Stefo, Feb 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stefo

Stefo Rookie

Mar 28, 2012
    Greetings ,

I have recently come across a F131B motor and F1 transmission . A gentleman bought it about 12 years ago , sadly he passed away couple years back and never had the chance to enjoy it. I do not know the VIN number of the car it came out of. Wife does not know where the receipt for the purchase of the motor is. The 2 dealers I called said without a VIN they cannot trace it. All i can get is the engine number from the motor.
    With just that piece of information how can i trace the vehicle and make sure there are no issues. Last thing i want to do is buy a motor and come to find out it came off a stolen car , even though its been sitting in his garage for all these years just want to careful
    thanks!

EastMemphis likes this.
  2. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Behind oil filter housing is a stamped tag. I don't know if this is just the engine tag (F131) or if it is the chassis number but you might look there if you haven't already

3. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Everyone treating their cars like “garage queens” and never driving them should read this OP’s post over and over again;)

Need4Spd and imahorse like this.
  4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Graz- werd! At 51yo this is on my mind!

I would install this engine and trans worry free if it is represented as legit.

Ive yet to see a dmv annual inspection include an engine serial # check.

Graz likes this.
  5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

it is just the engine. Not related to the chassis #. But, I believe if you have modis access, you can trace the car. Somebody in the dealership can help

brogenville likes this.
  6. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Neither the engine or transmission in a 360 have VIN or any other number that ties them to the car that the DMV could figure out.
    They would have to contact Ferrari and wait a couple months for verification of the engine number that was put in the car being inspected. Even then it could be a legally purchased replacement engine. I can’t imagine any DMV going through that kind of trouble.
    The only connection between car and engine are USUALLY recorded in the, many times missing, owners manual and at the factory.
    At any rate it’s probably something around one in a billion odds it from a stolen car, much much much more likely it just pulled from a salvage.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I confess, I took the engine out of a garage queen and the owner is yet to notice ;)

lee-o, Dewinator, one4torque and 4 others like this.
  8. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    The VIN is encoded in the engine ECU so if you just swap the “metal” and keep the original ECU it will be a lot of work through Ferrari to figure out if indeed it’s not the original engine as others have described.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    LOL. Makes the car lighter and easier to push onto trailer for concours.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Dewinator and Skidkid like this.
  10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Easier to armor all the frame far car shows.

11. Stefo

Stefo Rookie

Mar 28, 2012
    Thank you everyone for all the help.
    After speaking to dealerships and some builders and even trying to get an answer from Ferrari NA.
    They do not have accurate records that could tell me the VIN number of the vehicle .