456M Battery replacement | FerrariChat

456M Battery replacement

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by alanF456M, Feb 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alanF456M

alanF456M Rookie

Mar 10, 2016
    Gig Harbor
    Full Name:
    Alan Teed
    Although I have worked on cars before, and rebuilt my Pantera from the suspension up including a longblock rebuild, I am very reluctant to mess with my 456M. Its a far more complicated beast. Until recently I had a local Ferrari mechanic, who has now retired so I am warily considering doing some basic work myself. First up is replacing the battery which is partially blocked and requires some dissasembly to get out. Any tips or things to avoid when removing and replacing a battery in this model? ~Thanks, Alan

2. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    It's actually quite straight forward and not difficult.

You do need to unbolt the tank in front, but not the hoses that connect to it. Once it's loose, you can simply move the tank to the side as the batteries are swapped. Depending on the battery you choose, I recommend ensuring you have the Battery Connection Cover (Part # 144727) installed. I suspect many go missing. Clearance is rather tight around the battery, this cover helps protect the POS terminal.

I went with an Interstate AGM, MTP-91. Very happy with it. But keep it on a charger. These cars HATE low batteries, all manner of bad symptoms ensue.....

alanF456M, Laserguru and Qavion like this.
  3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    wear some of those metal mesh gloves or you will leave a lot of skin in the car in the process.
    and, replace it with a much stronger battery - it will work better

alanF456M and Laserguru like this.
  4. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Second Vote for the Interstate MTP-91. Your local Interstate distributor/reseller will likely have to order one, not their most popular size to stock, but they are generally happy to do so. Costs roughly $250.

alanF456M likes this.
  5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    MTP-91 has been out of production for a while. The MT-91/H6 replaces it, but it is not an AGM battery and likely not the best choice. I had an MTP-91 in my 575M until a few years ago.

6. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I think the MTZ-34R is the AGM replacement now.

7. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    That’s the one.
    Taz recommended the 91 back when it was in production.
    I’ve got one of each.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Just be advised you may need longer J-hooks.

9. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Trading longer J-hooks for good voltage and a lot of electrons seems a fair deal for me!!

10. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    What are J hooks ?

Turns out I need a battery and appreciate the information here.
    Would the MTZ-34R drop right in any 456M ?
    Do you have to still run a tender with this battery ?

I JUST bought a Ctek 4.3 too, which I do not believe works with an AMG battery.

Anyway thanks !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Where did you hear that the CTEKs were not compatible with AGMs? Are you confusing them with Lithium based batteries? I currently have an AGM battery with a regular CTEK charger for my F355.

Yes. It's still a lead-acid battery. It will deplete over time. You can extend this time, of course, if you use the battery disconnect.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #12 tazandjan, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    J-hooks are threaded on one end for a nut and in the shape of a J on the other end to connect with the hold down bracket on top front of the battery.

My 575M is more or less a daily driver, except I work from home, and has not been on a charger for 7 or 8 years.

F456M and Mirek like this.
  13. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Thanks for the input. I will order the MTZ-34R right away.
    I thought there was an AMG specific CTEK and did not know the 4.3 would work for both as it is not mentioned specifically in the sales literature (or so I *think*) but it it is that is great news and thanks for clarifying.

14. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Batteries don't really know what car they are in. The charger doesn't either. Right voltage, current sensing, charge rate, this is dance just between a good charger and the battery. Have no fear...

Auraraptor likes this.
  15. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Costco sells Interstate. I put an H6 in mine. They cannot look it up by car or they will tell your they don’t have it and won’t let you buy one. Sometimes the Costco personnel can be a pain that way.

You will need to look on the side of each battery (not the shelf sticker)

16. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I just installed a charge plug in my 550 grill. It makes it so much easier to put the charger on. And if the battery is dead and the windows can’t go down when I open the door and unlock it with the key, I can just plug in the charger, and the car will have power immediately and I don’t Need to force the windows out of the rubber seal. It is good to have a charger hooked up every now and then to top charge the battery. I was adviced to do this by a company which makes charge regulators for car manufacturers. I also have a second battery in the trunk with a separator switch in between. So when this switch is on, both batteries will be charged at the same time. When I leave the car for longer periods of time, I switch it off so just one battery will be drained and after switching on the separator/parallell switch I can start the car right up. I have done that a few times and the drained battery have not taken any damage by doing that even if it will have a heavy charge when the engine is running. With the grill mounted charge contact, I can slow charge it if I like. The charge contact can also be used for a light in case I am stranded along the road and need to see inside the engine compartment etc. Or be used for a tire compressor etc. It cost me 30 bucks and worth every penny. Very small and discreet at the right hand side beside the fog light.