Starter problem F355 | FerrariChat

Starter problem F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by lanab, Feb 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Guys, i have a starter problem which happens intermittenly, when i turn the key to RUN posiiton i can hear the starter clicking once but it doesn't crank, if i try a few times back and forth with the key it eventually cranks.

As i can hear the clicking engaging it seems the solenoid gets voltage from the ignition switch but doesn't engage the starter motor.

It's very odd it happens randomly, is it the contacts inside the solenoid that's causing the problem?

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #2 Qavion, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    You're probably right. I assume the battery is ok, because it does eventually crank (and start?). I also assume the power/earth connections are ok because of the same reason.

Of course, it won't hurt to check all the connections for security, including the nuts on the battery bus bar (behind the cover with the red "+" on it in the engine bay, rhs).... with the battery cutout in cutout of course. Sometimes people forget to tighten these after a major. Also make sure the pins/sockets are clean on the 12 pin waterproof connector behind the left hand strut. The ignition key start power runs through this plug (although faults with this plug are much more likely on a F348). The ignition key start power also goes through passenger footwell fuse panel.. but we don't want to go there just yet. It's a 2.7 car, so there are no start relays involved.

Sometimes for testing, folks use a remote starter switch which you can run power from the battery bus bar directly to the solenoid (make sure the car is out of gear of course). Available on eBay or at your local Automotive shop

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toolpro-toolpro-remote-starter-switch/543243.html

lanab likes this.
  3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #3 Ferrarium, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Sure sounds like bad starter. This used to happen on Amerian cars all the time back in the day. We would smack it with a hammer and then it worked. The issue was the pinion was not enaging due to internal sticking. That sounds like your issue. You can remove and rebuild them, there is a document step by step rebuild on them, I can check when I get home for it.

Hippies with vans had this issue all the time is where I saw it until my Camaro developed it too. We all used to drive with hammers in the trunk. :):p

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

johnk..., lanab and Sami like this.
  4. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Starter relay mod may help. I would try this myself. Cured many a starter problem like this. Including mine.
    Thats unless you find something obvious.

lanab likes this.
  5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    WATSON and lanab like this.
  6. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I did an accident when i replaced the clutch and I forgot to disconnect the battery when i unplugged the hotwire from the starter so it sparked, but this problem was before that as well but not as often as now.

It might be a bad hotwire contact as you mention but the solenoid clicks everytime, i can't hear the starter motor spin, only the classic click and after trying back and forth a few times the starter motor kicks in.

7. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Sounds more like the solenoid failing to respond to me. And it will get worse.
    My experience is it happens when the engine is hot and after a while (20 min) it will work again. Usually. :)
    There have been a number of threads on the proper kit to buy (Watch the plunger length) and about lining up the contacts.
    I know I've done the rebuild a couple of times but not since I aligned the contacts properly and with care.
    The kit I used is on amazon

lanab likes this.
  8. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes i think it's the solenoid, i've ordered a repair kit.

Here is a great youtube about Denso starter problem.

308 GTB and Qavion like this.
  9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    That did not fix mine, I thought it did and it seemed to improve but my guess it’s the starter. Especially if the starter is original.
    Mine was original and I replaced it after 17 years in the car.

10. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Dang, wish you would have told me. I have two extra solenoid rebuild kits sitting here. You could have had one for free.

My issue ended up being a small break in the solenoid winding.
    Hit the start and nothing happened.
    Hold the start and it would, sometimes, engage.
    Colder it was the more pronounced the issue.

Rebuilt it all and same issue.
    Local motor repair shop bench tested it and it always worked.

Finally just swapped in a new one and all is good.

PS: The Denso solenoid repair kit is a $10 item at your local CO-OP. ;)

Qavion likes this.
  11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ahh I found the overview if it helps you any.

Attached Files:

lanab, Qavion and WATSON like this.
  12. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thansk, i bought the kit from "repairkitsuk" on Ebay.

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I noticed that (so-called) Denso repair kit prices vary dramatically from $10 to over $100. Some kits include the solenoid itself, but they can come in different lengths and power ratings.

I see "repairkitsuk" show some of the different types:

http://www.repairkitsuk.com/4.html

You'd need to be sure of the part number of your starter.

WATSON and 308 GTB like this.
  14. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Problem solved, starts like new now after replacing the solentoid with the kit from RepairkitsUK

taz355, Pangea and Qavion like this.