Tell me about your experience with a Jeep Wrangler | FerrariChat

Tell me about your experience with a Jeep Wrangler

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by gimmea250swb, Feb 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gimmea250swb

gimmea250swb Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    So I'm shopping for my daughter for a jeep wrangler (first car) - because she batted her eyes at me. I know absolutely nothing about them. I'm told they suck but at the same time there seems to be a cult following and people love them. From what I can tell, the resale is impressive. I have no issues with working on cars but in 3 years when she moves out will she be stuck in the middle of the road.

For frame of reference, my son's first car will be a '65 mustang fastback. Holy crap, what am I thinking??

In all seriousness, I'd appreciate serious thoughts on reliability and safety.

2. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    My son just turned 16..... initially he wanted a jeep. After doing our homework, we went with a Range Rover Velar. Very classy, safe, all the comforts of home. Take her to the Range Rover dealership and comparison shop.

3. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
  4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    A TJ Wrangler (1997-2006) would make a great first car.

4x4 when you need it. The straight 6 4.0L with either a stick or AT are great cars.

5. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
  6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Personally, I wouldn't want my child to have one as a first car. They handle like crap and can easily leave controllability. Sure, they are fun looking and in the hands of a capable driver, well behaved. For a kid, too much. (had a 2006 2 door Rubicon)

I suggest something cheap and sedate that doesn't inspire your first time driver to do crazy or stupid things.

Jaguar36 and Texas Forever like this.
  7. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

They're pretty spartan for the price, but as you said, they maintain value well. Parts are fairly inexpensive and abundant. I'd say reliability is good enough. Plenty of people who can work on them if any unexpected issues arise. Safety on the other hand, I'm not so sure about, they feel a little loose and finicky to me; but I haven't driven a new one lately. I'd consider an older G-wagon a good alternative.

8. centerfireman

centerfireman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2015
    Roseville, CA
    I agree with the above. I also have 2006 Rubicon which has been very reliable for its 67K miles. Easy to work on; factory and aftermarket parts are very available and fairly low-priced. For a new driver however they have a high center of gravity and are more likely to tip over than a sedan. Lots of fun with the hard top, soft top, no top options, but probably not the safest first vehicle for a new driver.

Texas Forever and EastMemphis like this.
  9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Terrible choice for an inexperienced driver.
    Bad handling... look up "death wobble".
    Slight side impact in a collision and they roll over... high center of gravity...
    They do not skid or spin... they roll.

Texas Forever, Carnut and schwoo like this.
  10. Cotton

Cotton Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2008
    TN
    My first “car” was an 87 Jeep Wrangler. It was a blast having that thing in high school. We also have a 2012 we bought new that has over 160k and it has been a great vehicle, very reliable. Never had any stability issues in either.

11. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Rented an Unlimited Sahara recently for work. Shared the 4 hour trip with a 6’3 colleague (I’m 5’2). Both of us came to the same conclusion. Rough, noisy and the seats beyond excruciating. Had thoughts of purchasing one once my Liberty taps out as I wanted another manual shift dog hauler. Kind of crushed tbh, will likely move to a Cayenne next.

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I would never get one of those for a new driver, even an experienced driver can have trouble with those things if you are in a situation where to need to make abrupt steering changes. I had one for about a week a few years ago. I don't see the appeal.

Texas Forever and schwoo like this.
  13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Everything has a death wobble if you Google it. Way way over played.

LI2782 likes this.
  14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Everyone talking about manuvering. Yes this applied about 25 years ago. The trucks especially the new ones are great

LI2782 likes this.
  15. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    we have one of the last JKs and one of the first JLs. about 30K miles on each now. both used as daily driver (and trips). only issue was keyless door unlock on drivers side of the new one. easy fix when in for oil change. Oh, and the JK needed an extra strip of thin weatherstripping on a spot within the front door frames to stop a leak.

The new ones have optional front collision warning and braking and all the other niceties of 'regular' suvs. I don't get the new driver worries; my daughter will learn to drive on one of them. If anything people tend to see them in traffic easily, the driver sits high up for view, and oddly everyone loves them and is incredibly friendly in traffic.

16. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #16 gsholz, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    We own a manual 2013 Jeep JKU Rubicon since new.

What we like: It does very well off-road and is OK on highways and in curves with stock suspension. On the street, the stock ABS and stability systems have saved our butt a couple of times. Very easy to pull behind an RV.

Fuel economy is around 20 mi/gal on highway, 15 mi/gal in town.

Overall, I'd rate OK with below average reliability. Early issues were water pump replacement due to squeal under warranty. The shop screwed up the belt reinstall causing the engine to overheat. Caught it early, so fortunately no damage. After three years the oil pressure sender went out. Not covered by the 5-year power train warranty because "it is not part of the engine proper". Hah! The sender is of course way down in the valley between the cylinder heads requiring significant disassembly. Changed it myself.
    Then the Garmin navigation locked up in the factory 430N entertainment unit. A common SW problem that would require a replacement of the unit to fix. We use our phones for navigation so no issue for us.
    The oil filter/oil cooler assembly is made out of plastic and sits in the valley between the cylinder heads. If you over-tighten the filter, you crack the oil cooler base causing an oil leak in the valley. Hasn't happened to us because I do the maintenance but this is common in our model year. Currently, the thermostat is not closing fully when cold producing a P0128 code ("takes too long to reach temp"). Not a big issue but will require a thermostat change. Sometimes the head light relay sticks. You lock the car with the remote, the lights flash and remain on forever. You then need to disconnect the battery to prevent it from running down. Typically OK the next morning - need to hunt down the relay that sticks and replace it. All along there were some emission codes (gas cap, vapor canister etc) that are intermittent and not easy to track down.

Overall not terrible, but not great either. Maybe newer models are better. I'd not recommend the manual version. Lots of play in the propeller shaft and the transfer case no longer dampens engagement-removed some cost. Older manual Jeeps were butter smooth, this one is not.

Isobel and Texas Forever like this.
  17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    It is on my list of the top 5 worst vehicles I have ever owned. My dogs transport is a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I would not even risk their safety in one of those things. I put every car through the same handling tests (I even modified the suspension in the 2016 one still was crap), and that things was so bad I was amazed people actually buy them. Though I think most people buy them because of the image it projects, I am not capable of that feeling.

Isobel and Texas Forever like this.
  18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Right on. Jeeps suck.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Get a Toyota Tacoma or 4Runner. Reliable, maintain value very well, lots of parts/aftermarket support. And Tacomas are still made in manual so she can learn that unlike the guys in school.

Boomhauer and 1Superleggera like this.
  20. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I mean no disrespect to Jeep Wrangler owners but unless you are going off road (trail rated), what purpose does that thing have. It is over priced, noisy (not in a good way), badly built (I've taken about a half dozen of them apart) and not exactly comfortable to ride in.. I once asked someone why they own one, he said look how cool it looks, not a reason to own a terrible on road machine. Though I'd be willing to bet that is the reason the majority of people own them.

EastMemphis likes this.
  21. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    We work on them a lot. JK with the 3.8 seems to be more reliable than the 3.6. TJ with a 4.0 is the most reliable. But they are also rough, loud, and very spartan. They are a lifestyle choice it seems around here. The Jeep 4 door has replaced the minivan for soccer moms and dads.

Carnut likes this.
  22. gimmea250swb

gimmea250swb Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Thanks for all your replies. My daughter passed on the wrangler. Her first car will be a Hyundai Kona. Quite a difference :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Boomhauer and Isobel like this.