458 - 458 Spider roof cycle reliability | FerrariChat

458 458 Spider roof cycle reliability

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by THE VATICANTS, Feb 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. THE VATICANTS

THE VATICANTS Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    Hey gang
    As you know it’s just bought 458 spider. After owning 355 and 360s this was always my dream car. My 355 was a Spider and if you owned one you know the roof cycling was an ownership experience within itself. Obviously I know the 458 is a different galaxy and at this point, after owning the car for a few days, I cycled the roof only three times without any issues at all. The technology appears to be as reliable and modern as can be. That being said I was wondering if any spider owners have experienced any issues or, more so, is there a common issue with these roofs I should be watching out for? Or is this damn thing as perfect as it appears to be so far?

Sent from my iPhone using MotorInteractive

2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    No need to worry about the 458 roof. It is very reliable and trouble free. My 2014 spider is a daily driver with 120,000 miles. But then again, I operate my roof as well as all the other mechanical parts of the car. I suppose if you let the car sit idle for months and months, or years and years, things will malfunction.

3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I use mine at least twice per day. No issues yet.

daflk and THE VATICANTS like this.
  4. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    7 years of no issues with my 458 spider roof.
    I was told it was designed/made by Webasto the German company that does the BMW roof.
    Unlike the California that uses fishing line and Jockey underwear elastic - and frequently has problems - this mechanism it is super solid.
    Some caveats though:
    First is that unlike the 360/430 "soft" roof, it does not retract into a sealed compartment. Meaning, if your roof is wet following a wash or rainfall, should you put roof down that water ends up on carpet in passenger compartment. Roof needs to be dry.
    Second, the hinge points of roof - and there are many - really like to be lubricated. Your choice of lubricant. I like the spray type silicones/WD-40 that have the long plastic "needle" that keeps spray contained in a tight pattern. I also keep a rag under the area I am spraying so headliner or interior never get splattered. Really helps the smoothness of operation AND keeps squeaks away.
    Lastly, I use a non-silicone rubber treatment on all the rubber seams. I use Griot's Vinyl and Rubber Dressing. Basically, you put roof in the half way position - it allows best access to all the rubber areas of roof and tray areas - and go to town using a sponge to apply it. Don't forget area around back window as well.
    I hear - no pun intended - that people complain of roof squeaks or rattles. I have had zero doing these few things. Plus, I am trying to ward off EVER having to replace roof gaskets. Lord only knows the cost or if they will ever seal as well as these do.

Best

THE VATICANTS likes this.
  5. THE VATICANTS

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    Finally someone besides me who DRIVES their cars ;)

6. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    One of the cables snapped on my 2012 spider which connects to the black leather flap that goes up and down. You need to check it’s alignment once in a while to ensure it doesn’t fold onto itself due to misalignment. Otherwise trouble free. I use my folding top 4 times a day in my daily spider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wthensler and THE VATICANTS like this.
  7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    My 2014 Spider's folding mechanism failed after 18 months and at around 4-5xxx miles. Dealer had to source a part from Italy which took around 1 month so put painter's tape over the folding switch so I wouldn't absent mindedly trigger it. Fixed under warranty.

2010 California 3.5 years old daily driver less than 10K miles no issue with hardtop.

8. Whatupdoc

Whatupdoc Karting

Feb 17, 2020
    120k Miles on your 458 spider. **** that’s awesome. I obviously believe you but can you please post a photo? Just need to see it. I’m looking at my 458’s odomoter and just trying to picture it

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Hi, I’m in the TOFM (The Official Ferrari Magazine) in issue 42, the cover has the F8 Tributo, and my article is in The Edit section just before the F8 article. You can see the car and the odometer reading which at that time read 100K miles

10. THE VATICANTS

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    Finally a man that drives his damn car. Only in America people are so obsessed with miles and miss out on the whole fun of owning a car. ;)

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    2012 458 Spider +30k miles. No problems.

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Back to Ferrari folding roofs. I also owned the California. That roof design is heavy and complex. Some owners had some issues where panels didn’t work as reliably, sometimes resulting in dented panels. I personally had a few occasions where the roof malfunctioned and couldn’t complete the cycle, leaving me no other choice but to drive with the roof either stuck open or stuck closed.
    With time, the Cali T and Portofino, I’m sure the bugs got sorted.

And yes I drove my Cali too—65,000 miles

13. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Hi,
    I am currently owning my 2nd 458 Spider.
    On the one I had before (it was a 2012 with around 40'000km on) I had a roof issue consisting of alarming malfunction messages, when still the roof was working properly. The problem was solved by the dealer with half an hour of screwdriver job, I think it was a matter of re-adjusting the open position switch.
    Nothing else.
    Someway OT but I would recommend to always operate the roof withe the engine on, which helps the battery life, and possibly avoids electronic gremlins.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.