Superamerica : problem with electric motors powering the rotating roof | FerrariChat

Superamerica : problem with electric motors powering the rotating roof

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by JackCongo, Feb 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Some may remember that I got a new roof for my 575 Superamerica in 2016, as the original one (which I still have) was delaminated. The new one is perfect, but I then had last year a problem with the roof control unit (ref #211269) which was not working properly.

The factory was very helpful then and had it repaired. I also managed to get a brand new one so the problem was solved.

I thought I was fine after that, but now there is a new problem : sometimes, when opening the roof, it goes smoothly to a certain point then the roof just fall down.

My Ferrari authorised workshop dismantled the roof powering mechanism and they suspect there could be a problem with the electric engines' clutches.

They investigated and it seems that these parts cannot be purchased separately from the electric engines and only the whole package (electric motor + clutches) can be purchased (something like 16.000€Excl. VAT, if I remember well!).

Did someone experience a similar problem (roof rotating smoothly to a certain extend and then just fall)?

I must say I am a bit tired with these problems with the roof, especially as my car has always been meticulously maintained as it should...

Any input/advice would be most welcome!

Jacques

2. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do those gas struts play a part in smooth roof opening and closing? i.e. Item 27

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ian- Affirmative, they sure do.

Qavion likes this.
  5. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    My dealer ordered them (gas struts) just in case and had them replaced, it didn’t solve the problem...

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ouch....

Is there an emergency override for the system (i.e. manual operation or electric backup system which bypasses the computer)?

As 21ATS suggests, find out who makes the clutches. If that line fails, all you can do is try to pull apart the clutches. There may be a weak electromagnetic coil which can be repaired or a clutch which can be resurfaced. I assume they checked the electrical connectors for corrosion? High resistance may be limiting the coil current. You may be able to compare the current and voltage on the coils. Are there power relays between the computer and the clutches? If so, have they been replaced?

7. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Sorry, I didn’t see your message. Thanks for the tips, I’ll raise those points with my mechanic !

8. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    No electric backup but you can operate the roof manually

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the system. All my suggestions were purely hypothetical. These systems may or may not have coils or (external) relays. Anyway, let us know how you go.

Cheers.

10. 2005575superamerica

May 11, 2011
    New York
    search superamerica roof problems -- posted in 2014

After about a year and half of dealing with this issue, I spent an afternoon and figured out the problem and a resolution.

When the struts get hot, they loose their power and as the roof lowers, there is a sensor that cuts out the electronic clutch to prevent damage to the mechanism and the roof drops on to the rear deck.

Resolution --- While sitting in the drivers, seat, press the roof switch with your left hand and as the roof begins to flip, with your right hand grab the smaller part of the roof and apply a small force to help equalize the weight of the larger part as it heads towards the trunk lid. Problem solved

If you forget or do not apply enough force and the roof drops, follow these steps:

1) Turn off ignition
    2) Get out of car and by hand manually rotate roof to the closed position
    3) Get back in car and latch roof in the locked position
    4) Start car and press the roof switch forward towards the closing position to close the latches on the trunk lid and to clear the fault code
    5) Start process again

No need to turn off battery switch etc.

11. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    WoW, that is very interesting and useful.

Many thanks

However, did you find a way to prevent the struts to get too hot or the sensor to stop the rotating effort?

The rotation used to go well, something gets wrong now and I would like to make it rotate smoothly again.

In the meantime, I’ll definitely use your technique to “hold the roof!

12. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

I really liked this car and was seriously going to get one but I looked at the roof mechanism and said no
    the glass tops have had issues as well
    I hope you find a solution for your problem

13. 2005575superamerica

May 11, 2011
    New York
    "However, did you find a way to prevent the struts to get too hot or the sensor to stop the rotating effort?"

Drive the car in the winter

It's just a matter of the outside temperature and sun beating down.

The small struts are unavailable and unless redesigned will fail again

The technique suggested works every time. Small price to pay for a flip top roof

14. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Thank you. You are right, it only happens when manoeuvring the roof many times and in summertime...

15. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Just to conclude this tread: the problem actually came from the struts that support part of the weight of the roof when almost completely open.
    Can't be purchased directly from Ferrari but the factory helped in finding a suitable pair. Got them affixed by my dealer and problem solved. I should have thought about it first as it is a well known problem to SA owners and there are multiple old threads about it on this forum.

Jason Crandall and Qavion like this.