Turn signal flasher and "hazard relay", '79 308 | FerrariChat

Turn signal flasher and "hazard relay", '79 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by AZDoug, Feb 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    What exactly, does that large square metal box, labeled relay for emergency flashing, in the owners manual, do?

The basic turn signal wiring diagram i looked at online, doesn't show it, it shows the normal flasher as controlling the hazard lights function.

Does the turn signal flasher act as a flashing switch for the relay? Does the relay actually do the flashing function when the hazard switch is turned on?

I honestly feel like i am going blind from trying to read the wiring diagram in the owners manual with all the lines so close together.

Trying to isolate a turn signal issue.

Thanks,
    Doug

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If your winkies give up after using the hazard switch it could be the output from the hazard switch to power the indicator system - cure = replacement hazard switch

3. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    order this wonderful color-coded wiring diagram from
    http://www.paul-bennett.com/Ferrari/
    Price - $30For lifetime access to ALL drawings.

Plus many owner's and workshop manuals.
    Forever.

I have mine printed at blueprint size 36x24 and laminated. AWESOME !!

Attached Files:

4. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I ordered it, but have yet to hear back on a download link...
    Doug

5. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    That begs the question:

How is that console panel that contains the switches, removed?

I see some screws holding the shifter gate in place, does removal of the shift gate allow the switch panel to swing up or off?

Thanks,
    Doug

6. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    remove the ashtray. 2 screws. then it all comes apart. You don't have to take off the shift gate

7. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    just be careful when you do lift it. there are switches that can come apart with some very very small pieces that are almost irretrievable unless you have surgical tools. My defroster switch came apart and I almost lost the little plastic nipple that connects it to the switch plate internal to the mechanism... Hemaostats, long forceps and some crazy glue to stabilize the plastic to the metal housing of the switch was the trick. also make sure that the slide sitches on the heating are all pushed forward otherwise you'll have to turn and torque the plate.... never a good idea in an older ferrari....

8. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    here is a nice video of one taken apart....

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Unlike many other F models, 1978-79 US version 308B/S have 2 separate flashing units -- one flashes only the turn signals, the other flashes the hazard lights (i.e., more of them at the same time).

10. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Well left blinker works, the right occasionally, so probably dirty contacts in the turn signal switch.

But, the hazard lights don't work. The dash indicator light comes on and stays on, no flashing anywhere. Not sure if the issue is the hazard switch, or that box relay box to the right of the fuse blocks.

Doug

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I don't think it is a problem with the hazard switch (but it still could be) as it has two functions:

1. When "off" it conveys +12V to the turn signal flasher -- so, since your LH turn signal is working (even though the RH turn signal is flaky) that part is working, and

2. When "on" it conveys +12V to the emergency flasher -- so, since you report that the emergency flasher light in the dash illuminates (even though it doesn't flash) shows that +12V power (or some power) is reaching the emergency flasher (even though it doesn't flash).

The only other "simple" thing it could be is maybe a bad ground at the emergency flasher (bit your power windows also wouldn't work if this is the case). My suggestion (after unplugging and replugging the wires at the emergency flasher just to rewipe the connections) would be to measure with everything plugged in and the emergency flasher switch "on":

A. The voltage between the H (grey) wire at the emergency flasher and the N (black) wires at the emergency flasher = should be +12V

B. The voltage between the H (grey) wire at the emergency flasher and a known good ground = should be +12V

C. The voltage between the N (black) wires at the emergency flasher and a known good ground = should be 0V

If you pass tests A thru C = that has to cast suspicion on the emergency flasher itself being bad. If you get some different results for tests A thru C give a shout back with the results as that may give a clue of where to look for trouble.

Just as a side issue, it's interesting to note that, on later models, they used a much more complex, multi-connection emergency flasher switch in order to eliminate the emergency flasher and use a single flashing device for both turn signals and emergency flashing.

12. sranderson

sranderson Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Full Name:
    SRA
    Hello All

Can anyone tell me which wires go onto which terminal on the emergency flasher relay (or post a picture)?
    Not sure the PO had it right

As my unit stands, the
    the grey wire is on the + (power)
    the black wires are on the P (ground)
    the blue/white wire is on 31 (to dash indicator)
    the blue wires are on 5
    the blue/black wires are on 2

thanks,

Steve

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The '78-'79 US 308 B/S 150/78 OM schematic shows:

the grey wire is on the + (power)
    the black wires are on the 31 (ground)
    the blue/white wire is on P (to dash indicator)
    the blue wires are on 5
    the blue/black wires are on 2

14. sranderson

sranderson Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Full Name:
    SRA