488 , F12 personal opinion poll | FerrariChat

488 , F12 personal opinion poll

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by AK1, Feb 8, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AK1

AK1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2012
    Good morning. I will be trading my 07 430 spider and hellcat for a newer Ferrari. I will test drive a 488 coupe and a f12. i have done a test drive on the 458 before and the 599 a couple of years ago and ended up doing nothing, liked FMR handling and sporty attitude more at the time, but also the 599 felt much older tech at the time. Now the F12 with a v12 naturally aspirated and more modern aggressive design made me rethink. I know close threads were posted before, but personal opinions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Seven years a lurker - welcome !

Rather than color your opinion pre-test-drive maybe answering should wait til you've tried both - after all its your money & your choice at the end of the day

AK1 likes this.
  3. 4574

4574 Karting

Jan 30, 2017
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Just an FYI. I got my first 488 Spider in June and just didn't like it. Concluded I'm a naturally aspirated person. Sold it and bought my second F12 to compliment my 458. For me, this is the ideal combo.

Good luck.

DGPF, Potenza430, ag512bbi and 2 others like this.
  4. AK1

AK1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2012
    any experience with the f12 on the track? Is it significantly more difficult to handle?

5. 4574

4574 Karting

Jan 30, 2017
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Keith
  6. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I loved my 488 Spider. After owning a 458 Spider and the 488 Spider I was ready for a change and to me the F8 was not that different. I did a test drive in F12 and was very impressed, but it is a totally different car from the mid-engine V8. I suggest you test drive the cars to make sure which one you prefer.

LARRYH and AK1 like this.
  7. RossoFuoco

RossoFuoco Rookie

Feb 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Esberger
    I have been looking at the 488 and F12 for 12 months, watching them daily. I was wanting to upgrade from my F430 and after recently putting a deposit on an F8 Spider (delivery Q3 2021) I was looking for something to fill the gap. I test drove the F12 and 488 head to head to compare the cars as I simply could not decide which way to go by simply reading about them. The F12 is a car that you want to cruise in which has the power to blow your mind occasionally when the mood takes you or you want to impress a friend. The cabin lay out is completely different also and feels roomier which completely suits a GT car. The 488 is completely different, you want to dart around everywhere in it, inside the cabin wraps around you, it feels snug even though there is plenty of room inside, it's a neat trick. The F12 is a continental cruiser, the 488 is the weekend warrior (hate those analogies but they're accurate). As much as I wanted the V12 soundtrack I simply preferred the feel of the 488, how it reacted to my inputs, as much as I wanted a V12 engine because it's simply one of the best sounding engines ever made I simply proffered the look of the 488 (so did my wife and children) and the V8 sounds wonderful on song either shifting through the gears or downshifting. At the end of the day you simply have to decide what type of car you want, GT or Sportscar, it 's that simple. After driving my 488 I am seriously considering not spending the extra £100K I am going to need to buy the F8 Spider and simply put it towards an F12 in 18 months, best of both for the man who cannot decide!

8. AK1

AK1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2012
    I did the test drive on both cars today and can’t sleep thinking about it all night. Got a GoPro on my head to make a better judgement at the end of the day. Wasn’t set perfect unfortunately but still helped. I was able to push the throttle all the way on both cars for a short bit and both blew out my mind. I totally fell in love with the f12. It’s much ore aggressive and wild. A bit difficult to handle which to me felt sportier and more fun. Of course sound is crazy. Drove both in sport mode. Got to one forty five mph on the f12 and 140 on the 488. F12 sucked me into pushing it more to get that scream. I felt more of the car and less of the computers controlling. And at the end I just opened both hoods and compared the size of the engines. Wow! Of course rear mid engine would be amazing On the track and it would be best to have both worlds at your garage, but now I’m trading in both cars for one. I think I’ll be happier with the f12. Thanks to all of you guys

Attached Files:

LARRYH and JaguarXJ6 like this.
  9. RossoFuoco

RossoFuoco Rookie

Feb 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Esberger
    Good to hear you got out in both, just go with your gut as you cannot make the wrong decision here. I used to change my mind daily on my preference but ultimately the mid engined look and feel of the V8 won me over, but I completely get the appeal of the V12.

AK1 likes this.
  10. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I had two F12s and 2 488s and recently upgraded to the Pista and 812.

If you are going to track the car, get the 488. However the F12 and now the 812, is probably the most amazing car I have ever had. Nothing comes close from a driving excitement, pleasure, sound, and exhilaration perspective. Driving and F12 is always an experience. I feel the same way about the 812 but the F12 is a bit more raw.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

AK1 likes this.
  11. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I did the same thing. Kept my 458 & F12, Sold my 488.

AK1 likes this.
  12. RossoFuoco

RossoFuoco Rookie

Feb 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Esberger
    Nightmare, knew I should have stayed away from these forums! Im now questioning my decision to go 488 over F12!!!!

AK1 likes this.
  13. DONALD BERG

DONALD BERG Rookie

Jul 23, 2018
    VALRICO, FL USA
    Full Name:
    DONALD H BERG
    I have test driven an F8 and it is brutally fast. Launch control is incredible but if you don't want to go brand new and simply buy a newer car, I love my 458 because of the sound. I keep the exhaust valves open all the time (Capristo remote control) and never play the radio or CD. The 488 may be slightly quicker but the sound doesn't compare and the 488 engine doesn't rev nearly as high as the 458's 9,200 rpm.

Whatupdoc and AK1 like this.
  14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I recently sold my F12 , I have had several front engine Ferraris but the F12 has an amazing sound better than the other older modern generations (except the 599GTO and 812) and is a great car to drive .. but in my case I decided to sell that and now have an F8 on order... . the Front engine cars are totally different from the mid engine cars, both are great and both are fun..
    I still have my 599GTO and the SCUD and if I did not have them I would not have sold the F12...
    Glad you decided on the F12 you will love it ...

Thecadster likes this.
  15. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I recently did the same thing. Ferrari heaven. Colors?

16. AK1

AK1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2012
  17. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Nice spec F12 looks good in gray. Big congrats

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Not that it matters what I think...

But I think you made a great decision.

Enjoy it! Take care of it and have fun with it.

19. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    read through all these posts. i definitely want to add an f12 to the 458. seems they are different enough to justify both

20. Shamsta

Shamsta Rookie

Nov 25, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Robert S.